Planning Council/February 03 2010
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, February 03, 2010, at 1700 UTC / 0900 SFO / 1200 NYC / 1700 London / 1800 Berlin|
|Dial-in:||For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.|
PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Any SR2 issues?
Exceptions for post-M4
Exceptions for post-M5
- Heads up for Exception coming for Market Place Client (bug 296131)
Late M5 builds!?
- And what are we going to do about them?
- It was agreed in meeting to advocate "warm up" builds beginning at least the week (or two) before +0. This has the advantage that others, less comfortable with .build files and P2 repositories, can do their own warm up build (or, early testing) before their deadline. This may, however, sometimes "break" the build if higher level items have to adjust their prereq versions, or similar. [revisit in postmortem to explore better ways than '+0, +1, +2]
- Platform. John?
- Build was done on time, but tests take a long time to finish. [good case for warm up builds to start on Helios, without necessarily final bits. Plus, good time for reminder that "meeting deadline" means build is done, tests are done, all votes in, builds promoted, and and ep.build file updated.]
- EMF. Ed?
- Unexpected, or poorly communicated, loss of member who used to do the builds. A replacement has been found, but will take some time to ramp up.
- In all cases of a missed deadline, it is essential to keep everyone informed on cross-project list, or else others end up thinking deadline was met, and may have to do extra debugging, re-work, or re-builds, etc. thus compounding the problem that could have been avoided with just a little better communication.
Status: me, john, and thomas meeting on Friday
Structure of Common Discovery Site
Due to lack of interest or volunteers, it was decided to drop this item, and what we have must be good enough.
- users vs. extenders (minimum runtimes vs. SDKs)
- runtime targets vs. tools
- hierarchical categories (are more levels required?)
Anyone care? Any volunteers? (If not ... and you leave it up to me ... you know what's going to happen, right?)
Tracking progress and compliance
- Planning Council/Cross Project Teams/Tracking
- Interim Plan: provide "check list style" version of requirements, similar to original sample prototype
- Backup Plan?
- xml files? (that can be transformed to pretty web page reports
- Backup Plan?
- Wayne did not have any additional information, but said he would check with Gabe. It is "high priority", but still under "EclipseCon work".
- Backup Plan C: revert to bugzilla
- Propose face-face EclipseCon meeting 2:00 (local time) on the Sunday before EclispeCon (3/21)?
- Confirmed (there was no clear alternative, so "like last year" seems best course).
- create (and update) helios container plan (Wayne (re) volunteered)
- coordinate community input for next year's name (Oliver says last year this was started "shortly before EclipseCon" ... so, no rush).
- provide concrete instructions for (new) license-consistency requirement (John Arthorne).
- add automatic tests (e.g. non-api scans, layouts, presence of BREE, versioning, signed, etc.)
- March 3, Wednesday, Noon Eastern Time.