Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Planning Council/February 02 2011"

(Announcements)
(Next Meeting)
 
(15 intermediate revisions by 3 users not shown)
Line 24: Line 24:
 
| Chris Aniszczyk  
 
| Chris Aniszczyk  
 
| Technology (PMC)  
 
| Technology (PMC)  
|
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| John Arthorne
 
| John Arthorne
 
| Eclipse (PMC)  
 
| Eclipse (PMC)  
|  
+
| R
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Oliver Cole  
 
| Oliver Cole  
Line 36: Line 36:
 
| Mik Kersten
 
| Mik Kersten
 
| Mylyn (ALM) PMC
 
| Mylyn (ALM) PMC
|
+
| Y ("finally" :)
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Brian Payton  
 
| Brian Payton  
 
| Datatools (PMC)  
 
| Datatools (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Anthony Hunter  
 
| Anthony Hunter  
 
| Tools (PMC)  
 
| Tools (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Adrian Mos  
 
| Adrian Mos  
 
| SOA (PMC)  
 
| SOA (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Ed Merks  
 
| Ed Merks  
 
| Modeling (PMC)  
 
| Modeling (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Thomas Watson  
 
| Thomas Watson  
 
| Rt (PMC)  
 
| Rt (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| David Williams  
 
| David Williams  
 
| WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair)  
 
| WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Gary Xue  
 
| Gary Xue  
 
| Birt (PMC)  
 
| Birt (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|}
 
|}
  
Line 73: Line 73:
 
| Cedric Brun  
 
| Cedric Brun  
 
| OBEO (Strategic Developer)  
 
| OBEO (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Stefan Daume  
 
| Stefan Daume  
 
| Cloudsmith Inc.(Strategic Developer)  
 
| Cloudsmith Inc.(Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-  
 
|-  
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Kaloyan Raev  
 
| Kaloyan Raev  
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Pascal Rapicault  
 
| Pascal Rapicault  
 
| Sonatype (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Sonatype (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Markus Knauer
 
| Markus Knauer
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Christian Kurzke  
 
| Christian Kurzke  
 
| Motorola (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Motorola (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Achim Loerke
 
| Achim Loerke
 
| BREDEX (Strategic Developer)
 
| BREDEX (Strategic Developer)
|  
+
| Y
 
|}
 
|}
  
Line 110: Line 110:
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|}
 
|}
  
Line 147: Line 147:
 
== Announcements ==
 
== Announcements ==
  
* A change to the Eclipse Software User Agreement is coming ({{bug|316152}}). It is recommended that you adopt the new license feature support so you can more easily adapt to license changes: http://relengofthenerds.blogspot.com/2011/01/implementing-shared-licenses-with-37m5.html
+
* A change to the Eclipse Software User Agreement is coming ({{bug|316152}}). It is recommended that you adopt the new PDE [http://relengofthenerds.blogspot.com/2011/01/implementing-shared-licenses-with-37m5.html license feature support] so you can more easily adapt to license changes. You can simply refer to the license feature defined by the Eclipse top-level project, which will be updated whenever the SUA changes. You should wait for {{bug|316152}} to be resolved before switching.
  
 
== Maintenance Schedule ==
 
== Maintenance Schedule ==
Line 157: Line 157:
 
For detailed RC schedules, see [[Helios_Simultaneous_Release#Service_Releases| Service Release Schedule in master plan]]
 
For detailed RC schedules, see [[Helios_Simultaneous_Release#Service_Releases| Service Release Schedule in master plan]]
  
* RC2 is this week ... release is later this month ... any issues?  
+
* RC2 is this week ... release is later this month ... any issues?
 +
 
 +
:'' No issues raised''
  
 
== Indigo Status ==
 
== Indigo Status ==
  
 
* M5 this week ... any issues?  
 
* M5 this week ... any issues?  
 +
 +
: ''Pascal mentioned a new build of market-place client is needed for M5 due to some p2 (internal) changes.''
  
 
* any exceptions to discuss?   
 
* any exceptions to discuss?   
  
* (ongoing reminder) remember to aggregate project tracking, IP logs, docuware, etc., and [[Development_Resources/HOWTO/Project_Meta-Data| update project meta-data]] as Wayne requested in [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg05063.html cross-project note].
+
: ''No exceptions were specifically approved at this meeting, but we discussed some that will be requested for M6:''
 +
:: ''Libra. Provisioned. Building (just for day or two). Plans to release as incubating subproject of WTP. Kaloyan to prepare pages, information about project, and he (and WTP) will come back with costs and benefits explanations when requesting the exception.''
 +
:: ''WindowBuilder. Just provisioned. Still CQ work to do. (Wayne was optimistic, but ... less certainty that it can get going in time).''
 +
:: ''RAT: Not yet provisioned, nor had creation review. Wayne to followup with them.''
  
 +
* (ongoing reminder) remember to aggregate project tracking, IP logs, docuware, etc., and [[Development_Resources/HOWTO/Project_Meta-Data| update project meta-data]] as Wayne requested in [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg05063.html cross-project note].
  
 
== Indigo Plan and Schedule ==
 
== Indigo Plan and Schedule ==
  
* [http://www.eclipse.org/indigo/planning/EclipseSimultaneousRelease.php Indigo Requirements]
 
 
* See also [[indigo| Indigo Wiki page]]
 
  
 
* Should we provide (whole) Orbit Repository as a "runtime target" category? Should it be a "trusted repo"? See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=310578#c11  
 
* Should we provide (whole) Orbit Repository as a "runtime target" category? Should it be a "trusted repo"? See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=310578#c11  
  
* recently [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg01860.html announced EMO dates for Indigo release]:  
+
:''To summarize discussion: It was thought this was not a good time. Maybe next release? There was no insurmountable problems known, but many questions, that should be discussed widely, and over time, to make sure we were not setting a precedent we couldn't support. Such as, this is a "change in philosophy" for the common repo. Until now it has been oriented towards end-user function, and just last year, runtime targets (which is more for committers or extenders) but still function/feature oriented. So, do we want to be/provide such a general purpose 'common bundle repository'. Should we wait till Orbit provides "one repo for all time" repository of bundles, or change every release. Currently Orbit itself does not "release" in the normal Eclipse sense, the bundles it provides do via being included in other projects, but seems if we had a common repo, it should have it's own "release review". (In fact, due to history and evolution, there are bundles still produced by Orbit that are not released in any specific yearly release, as an Eclipse Project does not release with it included). Would this lead to Eclipse projects not "including" a bundle in their distribution, and just relying on the common repo for p2 to find it? And ... would this be a good or bad thing? Currently, PC members had not seen many problems or difficulties in this area, so some question about "what problem are we solving" and while everyone could imagine it'd be a little usability improvement, over users having to add the Orbit repo URL themselves, didn't seem worth solving right now with so many questions. In fact, even lead to one question of is a valid solution would be just to provide the URL "pre-populated" with some of the standard or common distributions, such as from EPP). While not certain, it may be that Orbit can not be part of an operation where a user says "install everything" ... that is, some known, unavoidable conflicts. While there are certainly fixes or ways around this ... it is work someone would have to do. So, did not rule out the concept for all time ... but, more work needed. I'll update the bugzilla with this summary.
 +
 
 +
* recently [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg01860.html announced EMO dates for Indigo release]: (I have added these to our [https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=gchs7nm4nvpm837469ddj9tjlk@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America/New_York&gsessionid=OK Planning Calendar] for convenience). 
  
 
  February 11, 2011 - Last day to enter CQs for Indigo projects
 
  February 11, 2011 - Last day to enter CQs for Indigo projects
Line 186: Line 193:
  
 
* EclipseCon face-to-face meeting: Sunday, 3/20, 3-4? Alternatives?
 
* EclipseCon face-to-face meeting: Sunday, 3/20, 3-4? Alternatives?
 +
 +
:: ''confirmed/agreed 3-4, 3/20''
  
 
* Name that release. Indigo+1. Need volunteer to drive community discussion and vote.
 
* Name that release. Indigo+1. Need volunteer to drive community discussion and vote.
 +
 +
:: ''Pascal graciously volunteered to drive this year's "name that release" effort/process.
  
 
== ToDo Items ==
 
== ToDo Items ==
  
* '''Is it time? ==>''' Note from Wayne, to Wayne: (from previous meeting) Remember to review plans starting after M4 (at latest) so questions can be clarified before "road map" produced.
+
* How is the RoadMap coming along? (Wayne)
  
* New [http://www.eclipse.org/projects/tools/ project release tools]. Some ready. Some near ready?
+
:: ''Progress, but slow. Wayne still working with individual projects that have not provided one (and maybe didn't even know they needed one ... so, sounds like some PMC/mentoring guidance needed?).''
  
* TODO (from previous meeting): dw to add/create add a FAQ item around "what to handle 3.7 vs. 4.1". Will draw from previous [[Indigo/HowToAddress37And41Platform| working notes]].  
+
:: ''Wayne would like to "extend" the meaning and use of some fields in project meta-data so there projects could summarize their release, etc., instead of sending email or making part of docuware''. More could be automated then. Overall summaries provided, etc. Wayne will (likely) send note to cross-project soon with this request.''
  
* '''New TODO?: ''' Need common pages for a) plans b) migration c) N&N?
+
* New [http://www.eclipse.org/projects/tools/ project release tools]. Some ready. Some near ready? (Wayne)
: A contributor (Hendy.rainbowpurple.com) added these for Eclipse project to [[Indigo| Indigo Wiki Page]] ... but, shouldn't we have central page, with potential for each project to add links to their plans, migration guides, and N&N? Is there a better way?
+
 
 +
:: ''Sounds like Wayne's made some excellent tools to ease and improve the quality of the process. He'll be posting more notes soon (approximately Friday). ''
 +
 
 +
* Please encourage your projects to add links to "central" Indigo wiki for [[Indigo/New_and_Noteworthy| New and Noteworthy]] and [[Indigo/Migration_Guides| Migration Guides]].  
 +
:: TODO: Platform needs to have their own central page, like WTP does ... or, update this wiki every milestone. It currently points to M4 N&N.
 +
 
 +
* TODO (from previous meeting): dw to add/create add a FAQ item around "what to handle 3.7 vs. 4.1". Will draw from previous [[Indigo/HowToAddress37And41Platform| working notes]].
  
 
== Next Meeting ==
 
== Next Meeting ==
<!--
+
 
[[Planning_Council/February_02_2011|February 2, 12 noon (Eastern)]]
+
* [[Planning_Council/March_02_2011|March 2, 12 noon Eastern]]
-->
+
* March 2, 12 noon Eastern
+
  
 
* EclipseCon Meetings: Sunday, March 20, At Hyatt, Exact location to be announced
 
* EclipseCon Meetings: Sunday, March 20, At Hyatt, Exact location to be announced
Line 212: Line 227:
 
== Reference  ==
 
== Reference  ==
  
[[Planning_Council/Helios_retrospective]]
+
:[http://www.eclipse.org/indigo/planning/EclipseSimultaneousRelease.php Indigo Requirements]
 +
 
 +
:[[indigo| Indigo Wiki page]]
 +
 
 +
:[[Planning_Council/Helios_retrospective]]
  
[[Indigo/Simultaneous_Release_Plan| Indigo Simultaneous Release]]  
+
:[[Indigo/Simultaneous_Release_Plan| Indigo Simultaneous Release]]  
  
[http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php#planning Planning Council Members]  
+
:[http://www.eclipse.org/org/foundation/council.php#planning Planning Council Members]  
  
[[Simultaneous Release Roles]] and [[Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO]]
+
:[[Simultaneous Release Roles]] and [[Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO]]

Latest revision as of 13:00, 2 March 2011

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, February 02, 2010, at 1200 Eastern
Dial-in: For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.

Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps

Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC) N
John Arthorne Eclipse (PMC) R
Oliver Cole Tptp (PMC) X
Mik Kersten Mylyn (ALM) PMC Y ("finally" :)
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC) Y
Anthony Hunter Tools (PMC) N
Adrian Mos SOA (PMC) N
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC) N
Thomas Watson Rt (PMC) N
David Williams WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair) Y
Gary Xue Birt (PMC) Y

Strategic Reps

Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer) N
Stefan Daume Cloudsmith Inc.(Strategic Developer) N
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) N
Kaloyan Raev SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Pascal Rapicault Sonatype (Strategic Developer) Y
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer) N
Christian Kurzke Motorola (Strategic Developer) N
Achim Loerke BREDEX (Strategic Developer) Y

Appointed

Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y


Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
X = not expected

Inactive

 ? Nokia (Strategic Developer) X
 ? CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X
 ? brox IT-Solutions GmbH (Strategic Developer) X


Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members we have not heard from in a year or so, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.



Announcements

  • A change to the Eclipse Software User Agreement is coming (bug 316152). It is recommended that you adopt the new PDE license feature support so you can more easily adapt to license changes. You can simply refer to the license feature defined by the Eclipse top-level project, which will be updated whenever the SUA changes. You should wait for bug 316152 to be resolved before switching.

Maintenance Schedule

Helios SR2

2/25/2011 (Fourth Friday of February)

For detailed RC schedules, see Service Release Schedule in master plan

  • RC2 is this week ... release is later this month ... any issues?
No issues raised

Indigo Status

  • M5 this week ... any issues?
Pascal mentioned a new build of market-place client is needed for M5 due to some p2 (internal) changes.
  • any exceptions to discuss?
No exceptions were specifically approved at this meeting, but we discussed some that will be requested for M6:
Libra. Provisioned. Building (just for day or two). Plans to release as incubating subproject of WTP. Kaloyan to prepare pages, information about project, and he (and WTP) will come back with costs and benefits explanations when requesting the exception.
WindowBuilder. Just provisioned. Still CQ work to do. (Wayne was optimistic, but ... less certainty that it can get going in time).
RAT: Not yet provisioned, nor had creation review. Wayne to followup with them.

Indigo Plan and Schedule

To summarize discussion: It was thought this was not a good time. Maybe next release? There was no insurmountable problems known, but many questions, that should be discussed widely, and over time, to make sure we were not setting a precedent we couldn't support. Such as, this is a "change in philosophy" for the common repo. Until now it has been oriented towards end-user function, and just last year, runtime targets (which is more for committers or extenders) but still function/feature oriented. So, do we want to be/provide such a general purpose 'common bundle repository'. Should we wait till Orbit provides "one repo for all time" repository of bundles, or change every release. Currently Orbit itself does not "release" in the normal Eclipse sense, the bundles it provides do via being included in other projects, but seems if we had a common repo, it should have it's own "release review". (In fact, due to history and evolution, there are bundles still produced by Orbit that are not released in any specific yearly release, as an Eclipse Project does not release with it included). Would this lead to Eclipse projects not "including" a bundle in their distribution, and just relying on the common repo for p2 to find it? And ... would this be a good or bad thing? Currently, PC members had not seen many problems or difficulties in this area, so some question about "what problem are we solving" and while everyone could imagine it'd be a little usability improvement, over users having to add the Orbit repo URL themselves, didn't seem worth solving right now with so many questions. In fact, even lead to one question of is a valid solution would be just to provide the URL "pre-populated" with some of the standard or common distributions, such as from EPP). While not certain, it may be that Orbit can not be part of an operation where a user says "install everything" ... that is, some known, unavoidable conflicts. While there are certainly fixes or ways around this ... it is work someone would have to do. So, did not rule out the concept for all time ... but, more work needed. I'll update the bugzilla with this summary.
February 11, 2011 - Last day to enter CQs for Indigo projects
May 18, 2011 - Please submit your IP Logs
June 1, 2011 - Review documentation submitted to EMO for release review
June 1-8, 2011 - Review period.

Other business

  • EclipseCon face-to-face meeting: Sunday, 3/20, 3-4? Alternatives?
confirmed/agreed 3-4, 3/20
  • Name that release. Indigo+1. Need volunteer to drive community discussion and vote.
Pascal graciously volunteered to drive this year's "name that release" effort/process.

ToDo Items

  • How is the RoadMap coming along? (Wayne)
Progress, but slow. Wayne still working with individual projects that have not provided one (and maybe didn't even know they needed one ... so, sounds like some PMC/mentoring guidance needed?).
Wayne would like to "extend" the meaning and use of some fields in project meta-data so there projects could summarize their release, etc., instead of sending email or making part of docuware. More could be automated then. Overall summaries provided, etc. Wayne will (likely) send note to cross-project soon with this request.
Sounds like Wayne's made some excellent tools to ease and improve the quality of the process. He'll be posting more notes soon (approximately Friday).
TODO: Platform needs to have their own central page, like WTP does ... or, update this wiki every milestone. It currently points to M4 N&N.
  • TODO (from previous meeting): dw to add/create add a FAQ item around "what to handle 3.7 vs. 4.1". Will draw from previous working notes.

Next Meeting

  • EclipseCon Meetings: Sunday, March 20, At Hyatt, Exact location to be announced
3-4 (Pacific Time) PC face-to-face meeting
4-5 (Pacific Time) Joint Councils Meeting (See Donald's note to list).

Reference

Indigo Requirements
Indigo Wiki page
Planning_Council/Helios_retrospective
Indigo Simultaneous Release
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO