Difference between revisions of "Planning Council/August 7 2013"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(Progress on Action Items)
(Luna Planning)
Line 157: Line 157:
 
:: See thread around http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg09506.html
 
:: See thread around http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg09506.html
 
:: Possibly {{bug|414262}}  
 
:: Possibly {{bug|414262}}  
:: [Remember, we should make this decision based on principle, not the one request for an "Ultimate Package", since a) we should always work on principles!, and b) this package may or may not come to fruition.]  
+
:: [Remember, we should make this decision based on principle, not the one request for an "Ultimate Package" ({{bug|414025}}), since a) we should always work on principles!, and b) this package may or may not come to fruition.]  
  
 
* Discuss more frequent "(un?) coordinated releases" or updates to common repo or updates to EPP packages. (Doug, Ian).
 
* Discuss more frequent "(un?) coordinated releases" or updates to common repo or updates to EPP packages. (Doug, Ian).

Revision as of 11:35, 7 August 2013

Contents

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, August 07, 2013, at 1200 Noon Eastern
Dial in: (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)

Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)

For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992 (new number), 1-877-369-7806 (old number)
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) +49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) +33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • SIP clients:
call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.

Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC)
Dani Megert Eclipse (PMC)
Steffen Pingel Mylyn (ALM) PMC R
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC)
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC)
Adrian Mos (or Bob Brodt?) SOA (PMC)
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC)
Ian Bull Rt (PMC)
Chuck Bridgham WTP (PMC)
Gary Xue Birt (PMC)
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed)
David Williams (appointed Chair)
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer)
Stephan Merker SAP AG (Strategic Developer)
Igor Fedorenko Sonatype (Strategic Developer)
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer)
Markus Tiede BREDEX (Strategic Developer)
Rajeev Dayal Google (Strategic Developer)
(PMC rep) Actuate (Strategic Developer) X
(PMC rep) IBM (Strategic Developer) X
Inactive
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected

Announcements

  • New Member: Dani Megert is now the Eclipse PMC representative to the Planning Council. Thanks to John for years of service. Thanks Dani for volunteering to take his place.


Luna Planning

  • Is there confusion/contradictions about "unreleased components in Sim. Rel. repo"? See bug 411977.
  • Are we "too lax" in versioning requirements? Especially for "maintenance"? See cross-project list posting. [To be honest, I do not recall what specific situation this is about?]
  • I have started scheduling Luna milestones. I think first 4 or 5 will be similar to previous years.
* Appears that timing of EclipseCon in 2014 may effect how M6 is scheduled. It comes "the last week" of what would

normally be M6, instead of M6 finishing first.

* See Luna/Simultaneous_Release_Plan.
  • Can/should Planning Council say projects "should" contribute source to common repo? Or continue to "leave it up to projects" to decide?
See thread around http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg09506.html
Possibly bug 414262
[Remember, we should make this decision based on principle, not the one request for an "Ultimate Package" (bug 414025), since a) we should always work on principles!, and b) this package may or may not come to fruition.]
  • Discuss more frequent "(un?) coordinated releases" or updates to common repo or updates to EPP packages. (Doug, Ian).
See Ian's summary at http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg02168.html.
For some fun reading, I looked up the original bug on how we got to "SR1/SR2" .. bug 227767
  • Doug also wants to discuss him taking over the "releng role" and do aggregation builds using Maven/Tycho.
The focus is still on projects providing OSGi bundles in p2 repos, right? No matter what technology they used to get there?
What type of "input" is required?
What type of "testing" is done that all is well formed and can be installed together and is repeatable?
In particular, how are "IDE" vs "runtime only" components treated separately?
What are concrete advantages?

Progress on Action Items

  • Editing of "Requirements Document"? (Dani and Neil)
  • GSoC project for "Development Channel"? (Wayne)
  • Improved "aggregator examples/doc". (dw -- no progress).
But, about to send out "aggregator builds and streams ready" message ... depending on outcome of other items.

Kepler Retrospective

  • Propose to start in August (if any extra time), finish in September.

Next Meeting

  • September 4, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting

Reference

EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items. For original meeting notes, see Planning_Council/March_24_2013 and for discussion leading to action items, see Planning_Council/April_10_2013. For last status update, see Planning_Council/May_8_2013.
Luna Wiki page
Kepler Wiki page
Juno Wiki page
Planning Council/Indigo retrospective
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO