Planning Council/August 03 2011
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, August 03, 2011, at 1200 Eastern|
|Dial-in:||For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.|
Members and Attendees
Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members we have not heard from in a year or so, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.
Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
X = not expected
- Welcome Jesse McConnell (new Rt PMC representative, replacing Tom Watson)
First RC (warm-up) build is coming up soon (8/15-8/19). See Indigo SR1 Schedule
On the topic of "Can new things show up in Sim. Release Service Releases?" ... we have previously agreed "yes". Any discussion?
It was was suggested we have a FAQ to document this, and to make it clear, those projects still need to have a "release review" per normal EDP rules. It is up to the project to initiate that release review, and up to their PMC to "monitor" (all) their projects to make sure they are following the Eclipse rules, but, as with any other Eclipse Citizen, if the Planning Council happens to notice someone might be breaking the EDP rules, we can certainly point that out to them or the PC rep. The "new content" in SR can be completely new, or possibly a minor bump in feature versions. The FAQ should also strongly word the new content must still meet all the other requirements of the Simultaneous Release, such as signed, externalized strings, etc. In fact, the "requirement" that a project "do no harm" might, in practice, rule out some "low level" features from a having a minor version increase in the common repository. In other words, adding a "leaf" project is relatively easy, changing a low level one requires lot of communication, checking, and testing. [dw agreed to write the FAQ for PC to review]
Juno Release Planning
- Release: June 27, 2012 (fourth Wednesday)
- SR1: September 28, 2012 (fourth Friday)
- SR2: February 22, 2013 (fourth Friday)
Issue: We have a 53 week development year ... 6/22/2011 to 6/27/2012 (due to the way "fourth Wednesdays" fall) ... so what to do with extra week?
- M7 extra long, 8 weeks instead of 7?
- M6 longer than usual, 7 weeks instead of 6? <-- my recommendation, so that M6 ends "right before" EclispeCon?
4.2 vs. 3.8
We will have 4.2 as primary (hence the one used for EPP Packages) but ask participating projects to have a clear plan item titled, exactly, "Support for Eclipse 3.8 workbench" where possible descriptions might be similar to:
- Not at all. No support for 3.8 based apps.
- We will accept bugs against 3.8 based apps, but do not test or compile against it.
- We will compile against and somewhat test 3.8, though 4.2 is primary.
- We will support 3.8 as well as 4.2, but the exact functionality may differ.
- We will support 3.8 and 4.2 equally.
- September 7, 2011 (our regular "first Wednesday" meeting, at Noon Eastern).
- "retrospective" at September meeting.