Difference between revisions of "Planning Council/August 03 2011"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(Members and Attendees)
(Indigo SR1)
 
(2 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 140: Line 140:
 
First RC (warm-up) build is coming up soon (8/15-8/19). See [http://wiki.eclipse.org/Indigo/Simultaneous_Release_Plan#SR1 Indigo SR1 Schedule]
 
First RC (warm-up) build is coming up soon (8/15-8/19). See [http://wiki.eclipse.org/Indigo/Simultaneous_Release_Plan#SR1 Indigo SR1 Schedule]
  
On the topic of "Can new things show up in Sim. Release Service Releases?" ... we have previously agreed "yes". Any discussion?  
+
On the topic of "Can new things show up in Sim. Release Service Releases?" ... we have previously agreed "yes". Any discussion?
 +
 
 +
''It was was suggested we have a FAQ to document this, and to make it clear, those projects still need to have a "release review" per normal EDP rules. It is up to the project to initiate that release review, and up to their PMC to "monitor" (all) their projects to make sure they are following the Eclipse rules, but, as with any other Eclipse Citizen, if the Planning Council happens to notice someone might be breaking the EDP rules, we can certainly point that out to them or the PC rep. The "new content" in SR can be completely new, or possibly a minor bump in feature versions. The FAQ should also strongly word the new content must still meet all the other requirements of the Simultaneous Release, such as signed, externalized strings, etc. In fact, the "requirement" that a project "do no harm" might, in practice, rule out some "low level" features from a having a minor version increase in the common repository. In other words, adding a "leaf" project is relatively easy, changing a low level one requires lot of communication, checking, and testing. [dw agreed to write the FAQ for PC to review]''
 +
 
 +
''New FAQ written at [[SimRel/Simultaneous_Release_FAQ#Can_a_new_project_or_feature_join_a_Simultaneous_Service_Release_.28SR1_or_SR2.29.3F | Can a new project or feature join a Simultaneous Service Release (SR1 or SR2)?]]''
  
 
== Juno Release Planning ==
 
== Juno Release Planning ==
Line 156: Line 160:
 
* M7 extra long, 8 weeks instead of 7?  
 
* M7 extra long, 8 weeks instead of 7?  
 
* M6 longer than usual, 7 weeks instead of 6? <-- my recommendation, so that M6 ends "right before" EclispeCon?
 
* M6 longer than usual, 7 weeks instead of 6? <-- my recommendation, so that M6 ends "right before" EclispeCon?
 +
 +
''It was agreed we would put the extra week in M6, this year. Another advantage mentioned is that that is API freeze milestone, so if "extra time" is available, that'd be a good place for it. It does put the end of M6 right up to the Friday before EclipseCon. That's good in that it might allow fixes to be made to M6 as people prepare their EclipseCon demos, tutorials, etc. but also has the disadvantage of having "breaks" right before EclispeCon, and also people not being able to get "clean" M6 copies before EclipseCon. Pros and Cons balance, was the collective view. It has actually been "the Friday before EclipseCon" for several years ... though, it did used to be a week earlier. We will leave the open for one week in case others have comments/concerns, then consider it final after 8/10''.
  
 
=== Juno Requirements ===
 
=== Juno Requirements ===

Latest revision as of 13:42, 3 August 2011

Contents

[edit] Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, at 1200 Eastern
Dial-in: For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.

[edit] Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC) Y
John Arthorne Eclipse (PMC) N
 ??  ?TPTP? (PMC) X
Mik Kersten Mylyn (ALM) PMC R
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC) Y
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC) Y
Adrian Mos SOA (PMC)
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC) Y
Jesse McConnell Rt (PMC) Y (plus Tom)
David Williams WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair) Y
Gary Xue Birt (PMC)
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer)
Stefan Daume Cloudsmith Inc.(Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Kaloyan Raev SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Pascal Rapicault Sonatype (Strategic Developer)
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer)
Christian Kurzke Motorola (Strategic Developer)
Achim Loerke BREDEX (Strategic Developer)
Appointed
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed)
Inactive
[no name] Nokia (Strategic Developer) X
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X
[no name] brox IT-Solutions GmbH (Strategic Developer) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members we have not heard from in a year or so, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
X = not expected

[edit] Announcements

  • Welcome Jesse McConnell (new Rt PMC representative, replacing Tom Watson)

[edit] Indigo SR1

First RC (warm-up) build is coming up soon (8/15-8/19). See Indigo SR1 Schedule

On the topic of "Can new things show up in Sim. Release Service Releases?" ... we have previously agreed "yes". Any discussion?

It was was suggested we have a FAQ to document this, and to make it clear, those projects still need to have a "release review" per normal EDP rules. It is up to the project to initiate that release review, and up to their PMC to "monitor" (all) their projects to make sure they are following the Eclipse rules, but, as with any other Eclipse Citizen, if the Planning Council happens to notice someone might be breaking the EDP rules, we can certainly point that out to them or the PC rep. The "new content" in SR can be completely new, or possibly a minor bump in feature versions. The FAQ should also strongly word the new content must still meet all the other requirements of the Simultaneous Release, such as signed, externalized strings, etc. In fact, the "requirement" that a project "do no harm" might, in practice, rule out some "low level" features from a having a minor version increase in the common repository. In other words, adding a "leaf" project is relatively easy, changing a low level one requires lot of communication, checking, and testing. [dw agreed to write the FAQ for PC to review]

New FAQ written at Can a new project or feature join a Simultaneous Service Release (SR1 or SR2)?

[edit] Juno Release Planning

[edit] Juno Dates

Release: June 27, 2012 (fourth Wednesday)
SR1: September 28, 2012 (fourth Friday)
SR2: February 22, 2013 (fourth Friday)

See proposed plan for proposed milestone dates.

Issue: We have a 53 week development year ... 6/22/2011 to 6/27/2012 (due to the way "fourth Wednesdays" fall) ... so what to do with extra week?

  • M7 extra long, 8 weeks instead of 7?
  • M6 longer than usual, 7 weeks instead of 6? <-- my recommendation, so that M6 ends "right before" EclispeCon?

It was agreed we would put the extra week in M6, this year. Another advantage mentioned is that that is API freeze milestone, so if "extra time" is available, that'd be a good place for it. It does put the end of M6 right up to the Friday before EclipseCon. That's good in that it might allow fixes to be made to M6 as people prepare their EclipseCon demos, tutorials, etc. but also has the disadvantage of having "breaks" right before EclispeCon, and also people not being able to get "clean" M6 copies before EclipseCon. Pros and Cons balance, was the collective view. It has actually been "the Friday before EclipseCon" for several years ... though, it did used to be a week earlier. We will leave the open for one week in case others have comments/concerns, then consider it final after 8/10.

[edit] Juno Requirements

[edit] 4.2 vs. 3.8

We will have 4.2 as primary (hence the one used for EPP Packages) but ask participating projects to have a clear plan item titled, exactly, "Support for Eclipse 3.8 workbench" where possible descriptions might be similar to:

  • Not at all. No support for 3.8 based apps.
  • We will accept bugs against 3.8 based apps, but do not test or compile against it.
  • We will compile against and somewhat test 3.8, though 4.2 is primary.
  • We will support 3.8 as well as 4.2, but the exact functionality may differ.
  • We will support 3.8 and 4.2 equally.

[edit] Next Meeting

  • September 7, 2011 (our regular "first Wednesday" meeting, at Noon Eastern).
  • "retrospective" at September meeting.

[edit] Reference

Indigo Requirements
Juno Wiki page
Planning Council/Helios retrospective
Indigo Simultaneous Release
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO