Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Planning Council/April 01 2015

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, April 1, 2015, at 1200 Noon Eastern
Dial in: (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)

Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)

For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) +49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) +33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • SIP clients:
call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.

Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC)
Dani Megert Eclipse (PMC) Y
Steffen Pingel Mylyn (ALM) PMC
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC)
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC) Y
Adrian Mos (Marc Dutoo ) SOA (PMC)
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC)
Ian Bull Rt (PMC) Y
Chuck Bridgham WTP (PMC) Y
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y
David Williams (appointed Chair) Y
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Stephan Merker SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer)
Rajeev Dayal Google (Strategic Developer)
(PMC rep) Actuate (Strategic Developer) X
(PMC rep) IBM (Strategic Developer) X
Inactive
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X
[no name] Birt (PMC) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected

Announcements

  •  ?

Previous meeting minutes

Naming Mars +1

  • bug 453927 and bug 456732 - Naming Mars+1 (2016 Eclipse Simultaneous Release)
    • Neon: 31 % is latest being vetted. Any status update?

EclipseCon 2015

[To those that attended: how was breakfast? Any "notes" relevant to Planning Council?]

  • Wayne had "eggs and vegetables" which he highly recommends. :)
Sounds like nothing concrete discussed, at breakfast or elsewhere, with direct actions needed. But, still some discussion of "what can go in an SR", and "do we need 6 month releases instead of yearly" were the types of topics discussed.

Mars Planning

  • Any issues?
  • Improving user experience in finding right function to install. For latest ideas, see
bug 459905 - Create a Marketplace for the simultaneous release.
Overall, would be "driven" by Eclipse Foundation, but they would need help from top level projects, and the Planning Council.
  • Moved "Sim Release Aggregation" to "HIPP Instance" (post M6).
  • Move Git access to require Gerrit URL bug comment 422215.
  • Any issues with bug 463510 - Use Java 7 in the infrastructure signing service? (Is currently Java 6).
- Primarily effects "repack" users (of which PDE batch builds is main one).
- Can I ask for one volunteer to "edit" the document (just that new section)? Proof read, makes sure it is understandable? Not too wordy? (Before I announce to the world.)
No volunteers. Will let community review.
- When should we require and enforce "the first format"? Or, some variation of it? (Purpose is to be more "repeatable", and more useful to adopters.) (See bug 419746)
- Does any one have, or can someone create a tool to "create the right format"?

Progress on Action Items

  • Improve "aggregator examples/doc". (dw -- done! With preliminary version, anyway).

New Business

Going well, according to Wayne. One unanticipated thing was when one person contributes many small fixes. No one of them is a "great fix", but as a whole is a significant contribution. Handling informally now, but next time my include in the rules or guidelines.
  • Spent a fair amount of time discussing late addition of Gradle (aka Eclipse Buildship). Some concern expressed about lateness, some alternatives discussed, but to some extent all premature since Wayne et. al. not ready to formally propose. One thing needed is some "community" of Gradle users (experts) who can test to "make sure it is ready".
  • Some potential security issues mentioned (one with Batik, one with Xerces and Java 9) but no action required at this time.
  • Good news is the "Java 9 team" has been testing Eclipse and several projects, and so far no huge problems found.

Next Meeting

  • May 6, 2015 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting.

Reference

2013 EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items. For original meeting notes, see Planning_Council/March_24_2013 and for discussion leading to action items, see Planning_Council/April_10_2013. For last status update, see Planning_Council/May_8_2013.
Mars Wiki page
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO

Copyright © Eclipse Foundation, Inc. All Rights Reserved.