Papyrus Developer Guide
To ease the development on Papyrus, each member of the team works with basically the same configuration.
Following is a description of the basic configuration:
- The latest Eclipse Modeling release.
-  SVN Subversive (or Subclipse, update site : http://subclipse.tigris.org/update_1.6.x)
-  CheckStyle
-  JAutoDoc
- Configure the header template according to your company : Eclipse Preferences -> Java -> JAutodoc
- Java 1.5:
- Eclipse Preferences -> Java -> Compiler
- Eclipse Preferences -> Java -> Installed JREs
- Set the API Baseline to Ignore
- Eclipse Preferences -> Plug-In Developpement -> API Baselines-> Missing API Baseline should be setted to Ignore
- VM Arguments for debug mode:
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5 -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -XX:PermSize=256m -XX:MaxPermSize=256m -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
Required External Plugins
Papyrus requires some external plugins in order to compile.
The following page maintain a list of Papyrus Required External Plugins
The specifications are available here : http://wiki.eclipse.org/Papyrus_Developer_Guide/Specifications
Getting the code
Connecting to the svn
The code is available under svn at this location http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.mdt.papyrus/
PSF Following files will allow you to import all Papyrus plugins used during build phase: PSF files are now automatically generated using the SVN repository. They do not necessarily correspond to what is built. The script used to generate them is available in this project http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.mdt.papyrus/trunk/readme/ The following psf files are automatically update several time by day.
These PSF are builded using the SVN contents and NOT using the build process. So some downloaded plugins should be deprecated, not maintained, and not provided in the Papyrus installation.
To know if a downloaded plugin should compile, you can have a look to a Papyrus installation. If the plugin comes with the installation, it should compile!
Some downloaded plugins should have dependencies on plugins stored in the incoming folder. In this case you should download them manually.
- Trunk 0.10.X (Kepler)
- last versions of the psf files for Papyrus/trunk using http for non-commiters:
- last versions of the psf files for Papyrus/trunk using svn+ssh for commiters:
- psf for plugins (updated the 2nd January 2013). The following plugins are not distributed and could be closed (deprecated, not yet provided in the Papyrus distribution or for developpers only):
oep.customization oep.customization.properties oep.customization.properties.generation all plugins of the layer 'developer', excepted if you need to generate diagrams (in this case you should install the GMF Tooling too) oep.editor.perspectiveconfiguration oep.infra.emf.editor oep.infra.emf.embeddededitor oep.infra.emf.newchild all plugins oep.infra.gmfdiag.css if you don't use the css excepted oep.infra.gmfdiag.css.model org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.xtext.widgets oep.sysml.diagram.parametric oep.team.svn oep.uml.documentation oep.uml.standard oep.uml.standard.edit oep.uml.ui.perspectiveconfiguration oep.uml.properties.tabbedproperties.comments oep.uml.textedit.state.xtext.generator all plugins oep.views.documentation
- psf for extraplugins (updated the 2nd January 2013) . Only the follwing projects are currently provided by the Papyrus extra-plugins update site. The others projects can be closed.(They are deprecated, not yet provided in the Papyrus distribution or for developpers only):
org.eclipse.papyrus.compare.report.ui org.eclipse.papyrus.compare.report org.eclipse.papyrus.diagramtemplate.edit org.eclipse.papyrus.diagramtemplate.editor org.eclipse.papyrus.diagramtemplate org.eclipse.papyrus.eclipse.project.editors org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css.configuration org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css.properties org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css.theme org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css.xtext.ui org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css.xtext org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.gridAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.horizontalAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.horizontalSymmetryAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.horizontalTreeAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.radialAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.springAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.treeAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.verticalAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.algorithms.verticalSymmetryAlgorithm org.eclipse.papyrus.layout.subeditor.gmf org.eclipse.papyrus.layout org.eclipse.papyrus.marte.properties org.eclipse.papyrus.marte.static.profile org.eclipse.papyrus.marte.vsl org.eclipse.papyrus.migration.properties.model org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.export
- psf for tests (updated the 2nd January 2013) . Only the follwing projects are used for tests. The others projects can be closed.
org.eclipse.papyrus.sysml.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.bundles.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.core.resourceloading.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.customization.properties.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.diagram.clazz.test org.eclipse.papyrus.diagram.common.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.diagram.stereotypeproperty org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.services.edit.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.services.labelprovider.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.sysml.diagram.blockdefinition.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.sysml.diagram.internalblock.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.sysml.service.types.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.dnd.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.usecase.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.modelexplorer.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.tools.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.views.modelexplorer.tests org.eclipse.papyrus.tests.extra org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.css.tests.tests
- Branch 0.9.X (Juno)
- last versions of the psf files for Papyrus/branch using http for non-commiters:
- last versions of the psf files for Papyrus/branch using svn+ssh for commiters:
- build_0.9.X_svn_ssh.psf release engineering projects
- extraplugins_0.9.X_svn_ssh.psf all papyrus extraplugins
- full_papyrus_0.9.X_svn_ssh.psf all papyrus plugins available on the SVN
- plugins_0.9.X_svn_ssh.psf all papyrus plugins
- tests_0.9.X_svn_ssh.psf Junit and other test plugins (mandatory for developers)
How to update the script generating the psf files.
The script is located on build.eclipse.org in /opt/public/modeling/mdt/papyrus/create_psf_files.sh.
- To modify it :
- download this project with Eclipse http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.mdt.papyrus/trunk/readme/
- modify it and commit it on the SVN
- log you on hudson
- execute the script /opt/public/modeling/mdt/papyrus/update_psf_files_script.sh. This script allows to download and "install" the last version of the scripts located in trunk/readme/script (so it updates itself too)
How to update the psf files provided in /trunk/readme.
Retrieve configuration files
The Papyrus Code Templates and Java Formatter files are available under the Papyrus repository in the plugin org.eclipse.papyrus.doc under the folder "templates"
FAQ How do I control the Java formatter
FAQ How can templates make me the fastest coder ever
Checkstyle : available soon
The note explains how to install the templates in your environment.
- Papyrus architecture is explained here: Papyrus Architecture
- Papyrus generation mechanism is explained here : Papyrus Developer Guide/Papyrus diagram generation
Papyrus Code Standards
- Java Doc - every class, method and field including private ones should be documented with Java Doc
- No abbreviations - the class, methods and variables should have meaningful names
- Formatting - the code should be formatted in accordance with format templates
- Compile - the modified code and other plugins should be compilable. Be sure to use Java 1.5 code compatibility. Check other plugins that could be influenced before commiting!
- Standard Java Rules coding - Unless specified differently, the Java Standard Coding rules should be applied : no abbreviations, variables starting with lower case; class and types with upper case; Composed name separated with upper case; no underscore in names; ...
- In case of doubt - check existing code from those following the rules :-)
Papyrus Coding guidelines
A few points may be a little tricky when coding for Papyrus. Among them :
Papyrus Plugin Naming Scheme and Folders Structure
- Papyrus plugins naming scheme and folder structure used to locate and name plugins is described here: Papyrus_Plugin_Naming_Scheme
Structure and behavior of papyrus
- Presentation of the papyrus stucture and the behavior of some parts Papyrus Developer Guide/Papyrus Structure Behavior
Papyrus Command Execution, History, Undo/Redo
- This first document describes the usage of editing domains and gmf/gef/emf commands. See this detailed article Papyrus Developer Guide/Editing Domains and Commands.
- This second document tries to explain how the differents Eclipse Command frameworks work and how they are related. It also explains how commands should be executed in Papyrus, in order to have correct undo/redo.
- Following UML model with code reverse can also be useful:
The ServiceRegistry is one of the main Papyrus component. The idea is that each Papyrus feature should be a service registered to the ServiceRegistry.
The ServiceRegistry should be accessible from any code. It allows to retrieve the components you need to perform your task.
A new implementation of the ServiceRegistry is submitted. The new ServiceRegistry is discused here Papyrus Developer Guide/Service Registry
How To ...
Commit, Report Bugs, patchs (Code Contributing)
- How To - related to reporting bugs, patching, commit, ... Papyrus Developer Guide/How To- Code Contributing
Papyrus Code Examples
- How to - Related to Papyrus code,Papyrus Developer Guide/How To Code Examples
- Papyrus Log is explained here Papyrus Developer Guide/Papyrus Log
Currently Papyrus provides 2 editors kinds : Diagrams and Table. How to add your own editor kind is explained here Papyrus Developper Guide/How to - Add your own editor in Papyrus
To add extra features to the Papyrus Discover, you should edit the files located here :
now it is on git : ssh://USER_ID@git.eclipse.org/gitroot/www.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt.git
Papyrus Build Process
- Papyrus build process on Athena is explained here Papyrus Developer Guide/Build Process.
New plugin Submition Process
New plugin should follow the submition process describe here: Papyrus New Plugin Submission Process