Jump to: navigation, search

Paho/Project Call Minutes

The Paho project is holding bi-weekly calls. Participation is aimed at those actively contributing to project code, testing and integration.

The generally informal meetings are held via teleconference and minutes will be posted here on the Paho Wiki, and on the Mailing List to encourage broader discussion and participation.




June 26, 2012

Attendees

  • Scott de Deugd
  • Ian Craggs
  • Andy Piper
  • Nick O'Leary
  • Dave Locke



June 12, 2012

The first Paho project call was set up to cover the format/purpose of future calls, current status, and suggested topics needed for near and short term plans. We had brief introductions. It turned out there was much to cover, so we focused on Paho component status, next steps and needed work. We agreed to discuss short and long term planning on future calls.

Attendees

  • Scott de Deugd
  • Ian Craggs
  • Andy Gelme
  • Andy Piper
  • Wes Johnson
  • Nick O'Leary

MQTT C (and Java) Client

Dave Locke was not able to make the call so Ian covered C and Java Clients:

- Ian and Dave are working minor bugs and suggestions. Please use the Paho Dev forum or Bugzilla to discuss these.

- We discussed feedback that current committers and others at IBM, Eurotech and others familiar with MQTT design/usage need to try and get more involved in community. Nick O'Leary, who has been engaged in the Eclipse and MQTT.org forums was on the call and made some comments later on in the call.

- A Paho near term goal is to get up binary files in the Repository.

- Ian is looking into the availability of code to test MQTT Client installations and ports. Feedback, participation and new contributions are welcome. It was suggested that a protocol level compatibility test suite for MQTT and its design points needs to be a Paho plan item.

- Another item Ian is considering for Paho is an MQTT tracing program to monitor the interactions between the client and the server.

- Andy Piper mentioned that the original Paho Git Directory structure needs to be changed. A few options were discussed and Andy agreed to put a proposal and discussion on the Paho Wiki.

MQTT Related Forums

- Andy Piper gave everyone a brief level set on the main Paho community forums: MQTT.org, the Google Groups MQTT Mailing List, and the Eclipse Paho Development Mailing List

- Andy is planning a blog post to discuss these forums and how they can best be used together to build the MQTT community.

MQTT Lua Client

- Andy Gelme is contributing a Lua implementation of the MQTT client. He submitted his proposal in Eclipse Bugzilla and has created a Paho branch in Github. He has already put some fixes in there.

- The Lua CLient contribution needs to be pushed further in the process. Scott and Ian have been working through a few internal process issues in order to to access and review this code. They will report back to the group on progress.

- Andy shared that his objectives, for this and other projects he has underway, are to get MQTT in as many places as possible with a focus on graphical interactive applications on Lua clients such as iOS and Android.

- He plans to publish some of his projects in the future including; running the Paho client on Android, and its integration with the Arduino Processing language.

- Andy suggested that this group consider looking further into MQTTs, its status and inclusion in the MQTT open community.

- He has support for the iPad Codea IDE so that iPad applications can be built to talk MQTT.

Eclipse based MQTT Client

- Eurotech is contributing an MQTT Client to run in the Eclipse environment itself. It is an Eclipse IDE plugin, built as a wrapper that they have refactored to work with the current Paho Java implementation.

- Wes Johnson reported that the work is done but the committer (Chad Kienle) is running into issues with EGit access. Scott will work this out with Chad.

Community Building

- Nick O'Leary observed that there are a lot of excellent discussions, suggestions and issues about MQTT protocol that are not being picked up by the implementation folks in Paho. Much information has been gathered but what are we going to do with it?

- A suggestion was made that a road map for the protocol including plans for standardization, should be followup up by this group on this call. Nick suggested we start with "What would a v3.2 look like?".

- Scott pointed out that the Paho project and the Eclipse M2M Industry Working Group were chartered to collaborate with standards ans other open community efforts that are important to growing and supporting the M2M market per our goals. There is still strong interest in taking the MQTT protocol to a body like OASIS for standardization. Scott will report any new developments here.