PTP/meetings/August 2011

From Eclipsepedia

< PTP‎ | meetings
Revision as of 10:10, 6 October 2011 by G.watson.computer.org (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

August 2011 Meeting

Date: August 9, 2011 Time: 1:00 PM EDT

Call in information:

Toll Free (US): 888-426-6840
Toll Free (Germany): 0800-000-1018
Toll Free (UK): 0800-368-0638
Passcode: 2221402

Agenda

  1. Overall project, releases, etc.
    • Next builds, releases
      • 4.0 and 4.1 Branches
      • 5.0 Indigo - official release was June 22; 5.0.1 released July 17
        • post-mortem: things to note for next year?
      • Parallel Package of 5.0.0 on Indigo
      • Bug status/triage
    • Download stats - note here
    • Transition to Git
    • API exporting
  2. Status Reports
    • PTP Core/debug
    • RDT and remote status
      • Synchronized Projects
    • Resource Managers - legacy and JAXB (configurable)
    • Monitoring - incl. new System Monitoring Perspective
    • PLDT
    • ETFw, other tool integrations (GEM, PPW, etc.)
    • Photran
    • Docs, Help, Tutorials
      • SC11 tutorial accepted for Sunday Nov 13
    • Other PTP contributions
  3. PTP User call report
  4. Education and Outreach
    • Upcoming workshops/tutorials
    • Status of outreach groups (grants etc.)
  5. Other Business
  6. Next meeting - Sept 13, 2011

Attendees

  • Greg Watson, IBM
  • Beth Tibbitts, IBM
  • Jeff Overbey, UIUC
  • Claudia Knobloch, Juelich
  • Wyatt Spear, U.Oregon
  • Mike Kucera, IBM
  • Dave Wootton, IBM
  • Jay Alameda, NCSA
  • John Eblen, ORNL
  • Roland Schultz, ORNL

Minutes

  1. Overall project, releases, etc.
    • Next builds, releases
      • 4.0 and 4.1 Branches - 4.0 work is done; 4.1 branch created for IBM product usage (product based on PTP 4.x and Eclipse 3.6) but we have no intention of a 4.1 release of PTP
      • 5.0 Indigo - official release was June 22; 5.0.1 released July 17
        • ptp_5_0 branch: if you commit code changes to the branch, please make a bug and put release and milestone in it so we can track bug fixes for this release better. Keep HEAD and the branch in sync whenever possible
        • 5.0.2 builds started today; next major eclipse release is SR1 in September (GA is Sept 23). Plan to hold 5.0.2 until SR1 unless someone requires a release.
          • RC1 +2 is Wed 8/17 (soon!)
          • RC2 +2 is 8/31
          • RC3 +2 is 9/7
          • RC4 +2 is 9/14
      • Parallel Package of 5.0.0 on Indigo - has 3,033 downloads thus far. Vastly simplifies installation for users.
    • Transition to Git
      • Postpone until the September timeframe, around SR1. Major Issue is the changes that will be needed for the build. CDT build conversion was very time-consuming when they switched to Git. But hey also switched the build to Maven at the same time. Vivian Kong would know the details. Roland/John are willing to help but not familiar with build processes. But they are motivated because they are eager to get the Git repositories working for PTP.
      • Greg indicates three issues:
        1. Convert software repository to Git
        2. Maven for build (not required)
        3. Transition to using Hudson build machine - current builds from cmd line on build.eclipse.org - only a few committers have build authority. On hudson build machine at eclipse.org, anyone could submit a build. Greg has already done some work to get the PTP build scripts on hudson. (Note: hudson is independent of Git)
      • CDT is using all three: git, maven, hudson. Greg will discuss with Vivian. Roland will look into it with some information to get started. Greg agrees we 'should' switch to Maven, perhaps do both at same time.
    • API exporting
      • Problem: API tooling wasn't enabled on several PTP plugins and recent changes broke API.
        • See PTP API baseline setup on PTP wiki developer guidelines. Also see the section on adding a new plugin for enabling API Tools on the new plug-in.
      • Solution summary: Rather than revert these changes (most needed for bug fixes), we should get API exports 'right.' See Bug 354097
        • We need to un-export APIs that should not have been exported. Document all these in a bug. We will try to avoid a release review for the changes. Otherwise this would get flagged in SR2.
      • Greg has already documented in Bug 354097 RDT, sync, llview, etc.
      • Short definition of API: functions/methods/APIs used outside of PTP. Methods accessed outside a plugin must have the package exported (or otherwise made available) in the manifest. Exporting the package makes it public API. Alternatives include x-friends and marking as internal (see below). API designation needs to be a conscious decision. "API" implies long-term support.
      • Example: extension point requires a subclass or implementation of an interface. That package should be exported.
      • Manifest keywords of: x-friend allows other PTP plugins to access the API (with a warning of "discouraged access") without exporting it. x-internal does not export it, but allows other plugins to use it, but with warnings. (CDT uses this extensively).
      • ETFw has several non-PTP clients. Wyatt believes only the extension points need to be exposed. Ext Pt classes are in separate packages so only those packages need to be exported.
      • CDT "internal packages" - does it use naming, or internal designation in the manifest? See Naming_Conventions
      • Greg has so far un-exported everything and used x-friends where needed to access apis from other PTP plug-ins.
      • Changes should be put in the ptp_5_0 branch AND in HEAD. Keep them in sync for now.
      • Beth will fix PLDT; Wyatt will do ETFw
      • To do this, in manifest editor, export package, select hidden from all plugins .... adds x-internal true (without package rename). (NEED TO CONFIRM PROCEDURE)
      • Roland proposes this should be our policy
      • x-friends allows access by other designated plug-in without warning, with side effect of allowing access (with warning) by other plugins (like x-internal).
      • New PTP Policy (for new plug-ins and some existing plug-ins): Export everything with x-internal that is not explicitly exported. (package visibility should be changed to x-internal so that external packages can still access classes if desired.)
        • To do this: on MANIFEST.MF file, Runtime tab, for every exported package, choose
          • "Hidden from all plug-ins except:" and don't add any plugins. This adds "x-internal:=true" to the exported package in MANIFEST.MF (all plug-ins can use the API, but with warnings.)
          • "Hidden from all plug-ins except:" add add any plug-ins that explicitly are allowed access. For example other plug-ins within PTP. This adds "x-friends:=<plugin-id>" to the exported package and effectively does x-internal:=true to all other plug-ins. (Designated plug-ins can use the API, and all other plug-ins can use the API with warnings)
          • Export the package fully (Select "visible to downstream plug-ins") to allow full access by all plug-ins (all plug-ins can use the API without warnings)
            • Note: this is Eclipse API and implies long-term support; can be difficult to change in the future. This is what we are trying to minimize for future support. This should be a conscious explicit decision.
          • Omit a package altogether to disallow any access at all
          • If a package was not exported previously, and it should not be hidden, consider adding it with x-internal:=true
        • Note that API Tools will want you to correct the major version (e.g. 5.0.x to 6.0.0) - do this for plug-ins only, don't touch the features. Document all plug-ins modified like this in the bug referenced above, so we can hopefully avoid a release review while we do this correction.
  2. Status Reports
    • Resource Managers - legacy and JAXB (configurable)
      • Dave W - PE JAXB-based resource managers mostly works. Testing now.
      • Greg is working on OpenMPI and MPICH JAXB versions of resource managers.
      • Greg is adding debug support for JAXB-based resource managers. Up until now cannot debug interactive code running with JAXB-based resource managers - See Bug 347232
    • Monitoring - incl. new System Monitoring Perspective
    • ETFw, other tool integrations (GEM, PPW, etc.)
      • Wyatt is working on ETFw bug reported by Dave, related to different kinds of launching. Dave will send XML file to Wyatt for testing/diagnosis.
      • Wyatt is also working on using PTP on NERSC systems including Cray.
    • Remote Tools
      • Roland proposes changing separator char in multi-command chaining. Is currently semicolon but if one command fails, the rest keep executing. (Example: cd foo; rm * if the cd to foo directory fails, will remove files in wrong directory)
        • Suggests replacing semicolon ; with double ampersand &&. This will stop at first failed command. Also suggests escaping the separating character.
        • Roland will open a bug
    • RDT and remote status
      • Synchronized Projects
        • John is working on synchronized project context menu, e.g. to force a sync. Can turn off sync too.
        • Merge conflicts still need to be handled manually. You must know Git to do this. John can put an example on the wiki of how to do this.
        • If go offline, would this automatically handle it (queue up to sync when the network is again available?) Show via Icon change or Error Dialog? We all have different preferences so a preference setting was suggested as to whether to pop up a dialog or just quietly indicate with an icon change.
    • Photran (no reports)
    • Docs, Help, Tutorials
      • SC11 tutorial accepted for Sunday Nov 13
      • SC11 BOF - we missed the deadline (July 22) for submission; (N.B.: Beth emailed the BOF chair, but no luck. So no official BOF at SC11 for PTP.)
      • Beth wants to know if any help plug-in updates are available and need to be added to the indigo help site. Answer is no.
      • PTP tutorials given at Teragrid, at Teleconferences by Jay et.al. (need to list) and others.
    • Other PTP contributions
  3. PTP User call report
    • Next User call was scheduled for Aug 24 -- but this is same as PTP User meeting-- See PTP/PTP_User_Meetings - -so will cancel
  4. Education and Outreach
    • Upcoming workshops/tutorials - PTP User meeting at NCSA next week. See Jay Alameda for details.
    • Status of outreach groups (grants etc.)
  5. Next meeting - Sept 13, 2011