Revision as of 16:21, 16 April 2007 by David whiteman.us.ibm.com (correct definition of PMC)
PMC is an acronym for Project Management Committee.
PMC Lead Duties
- Ensure that project sets and meets schedules.
- Ensure that rampdown, triage, and update site delivery occurs.
- Work with planning council and monitor cross-project mailing lists for coordinated releases.
- Hold weekly PMC status calls and post minutes of each call.
- Plan for, schedule, and assist in coordinating project release reviews and incubating (sub) project graduation and release reviews.
- Support (sub) project creation reviews and transfers that are within the project Charter.
- Drive the PMC's support and mentoring of incubating (sub) projects, as well as established ones.
- Monitor activities for Charter compliance, and proactively work to adjust any Charter changes.
- Monitor EMO, Board, and community activities to ensure that project is well represented, in compliance, and well regarded.
- Ensure that PMC membership is reflective of the project, that all members are active, and that the size and composition are appropriate to the project. Delegate responsibilities to PMC members and coordinate their activities to ensure the smooth running of the project.
- Solicit new committers from among the contributor base.
- Solicit new member companies and individual committers to contribute to the project.
- Work to drive adoption of the project through awareness, quality, and responsiveness.
- Attend conferences (EclipseCon, EclipseWorld, JavaOne, etc.) and workshops on behalf of project.
- Work with EMO on press releases.
- Ensure that major releases are announced broadly through both Eclipse and non-Eclipse channels (eWeek, TheServerSide, etc.)
- Monitor newsgroup and project mailing lists to understand issues and ensure that users are being supported.
- Work with all member companies and individual committers to ensure that project is being well run and that project plans and releases are understood and shared.
- Work with adopters to ensure that project is providing them with quality software, useful features, and reasonable extensibility.
- Work with EMO evangelists, especially around release coordination, bundling/packaging, demos/tutorials, etc.
- Ensure that tutorials and presentations are available and up-to-date on the project website.
Communication and Liaison
- Work with EMO Director of Marketing to ensure that WTP features and releases are adequately represented.
- Work with EMO and adopters around planned press activities.
- Attend Planning Council sessions, weekly release meetings, and ad-hoc meetings as needed to represent project.
- Work with Board Committer representatives to ensure that the project's infrastructure and other needs are met.
Manage and Drive Good Open Source Processes
- Ensure that all constituences - users, adopters, and developers - are fairly represented.
- Ensure that project operates in a transparent, permeable, and collaborative fashion.
- Work with EMO personnel to establish and maintain good policies and processes, including
- IP handling (via IPzilla and project IP log)
- Board policies that affect WTP, including revisions to WTP's charter
- Council representation and Council policies and directives
- Drive the new committer processes, including running PMC approval and paperwork. Ensure that component teams and voting operates in accordance with EMO and project guidelines.
- Create and publish project policies (e.g., component team restrictions) to ensure fairness and transparency.
- Ensure that all EMO paperwork is in order and that EMO records match project records.
- Maintain project metadata ("project-info" directory).
- Maintain project IP log.
- Ensure that critical information is available on home page, in accordance with EMO and Planning Council guidelines.
- Ensure that Wiki and website always have current development plan link.
- Be responsible for logos (WTP's, adopters', contributors', etc.) handling.