Orion/Orion - Git client enhancements
- Student: Piotr Janik
- Mentors: Tomasz Zarna, Szymon Brandys
This project is part of the Google Summer of Code 2011
The first release of Orion is going to provide a simple but fully functional support for git. The idea behind this project is to identify missing bits and address them.
My work would include implementation of missing Git commands. Task includes both server side and UI work.
- Enhancement of existing remote command by implementing add/remove remotes functionality.
- Add support for working with branches i.e. implement git branch and git checkout
- Implementation of missing commands like reset, rm, revert, cherry-pick. Work will include both server and client side, number of implemented commands depends on available time.
- Changing server implementation of some Git commands to use JGit porcelain API instead of JGit internals.
- Enhancing existing commit and add commands to be able to work with single file. Currently, only whole project can be committed.
- Implementation of user friendly graphical representation of git log. Similar to what we can see in EGit or git log --graph.
- Improvement of git config. Current configuration options cover only user.name and user.email.
- General UI polishing. For example clone seems to need some work, according to discussion available here.
- implement conditional GET where possible to reduce network traffic between client and server. [bug 338121, bug 338122, bug 339846]
- Implementing hundreds of fresh ideas, which may come once you begin development work. :)
Also very important parts of my work:
- Cooperation with JGit community when it is needed. As JGit is still in development, some features can be missing, some can change rapidly and some can need a fix.
- Taking care of test coverage and wiki updates (i.e. server side Git REST API).
- git remotes management
- git branch management
- general enhancements
- bug 345269 [server] provide REST API for git init
- () bug 340553 [server] provide REST API for removing clones
- bug 337820 [server] provide REST API for git config
- bug 342500 [client] use the commit link to show commit details in Log UI
- bug 339190 [server] allow to commit a single file
- bug 338202 [server] Provide REST API for git reset
tasks planed to be fixed after M8 release
- server REST API enhancements
- modifying git operations to use JGit Porcelain API
- general enhancements
- bug 345397 [client] show a graph on git log page
- bug 343644 [server] git log should return branches for commits
- bug 346070 [server] when cloning a repository create a selected folder if it doesn't exist
- bug 343496 [server] add more tests for git push
- bug 340053 [server] GET /git/commit should return a multi-part response containing both the commit content and details (author, message, etc.)
- bugs which blocks work on Orion related tasks
This section contains tasks which are under development now and in the nearest future.
|Status||Bugzilla entry||Description||Waits for review||Comments|
|bug 344683||[server] migration to JGit porcelain API - git log||? Szymon|
|bug 339109||[server] provide REST API for git remote||? Szymon||ready, merged into master, tests and docs needed|
Planned in the nearest future
Section contains all the task which are completed, tested and positively reviewed.
|Status||Bugzilla Entry||Description||Reviewed by|
|bug 340789||[server] migration to JGit porcelain API - git status||+ Tomek|
|bug 339190||[server] commit of single file||+ Tomek|
|bug 344215||[client] implement missing functionality for remotes management||+ Szymon|
|bug 345269||[server] provide REST API for git init||+ Szymon|
|bug 345899||[jgit] missing getConflicting functionality in StatusCommand|
|bug 346257||[jgit] path filtering in LogCommand doesn't work|