Orion/How Tos/Install Orion on Localhost
< Orion | How Tos
Revision as of 09:25, 11 January 2011 by John arthorne.ca.ibm.com (New page: = Downloading and running Orion = # Download M4 for your platform from the download page (TBD).<br/> # Unzip the M4 zip file to a folder on your computer.<br/>'''Note:''' Be sure to choose...)
Downloading and running Orion
- Download M4 for your platform from the download page (TBD).
- Unzip the M4 zip file to a folder on your computer.
Note: Be sure to choose a folder that you have write access to.
- Launch the Orion server:
- Linux: Run
- Mac OS X: Double-click
- Windows: Double-click
- Linux: Run
- Now the server is running on port 8080.
- Point your web browser to http://localhost:8080/.
- You'll be directed to the Orion login screen:
From here you can create a new account for yourself on your local Orion server, or connect Orion to an existing Google, Yahoo, AOL or myOpenID account instead.
Linking to existing content
You can try out Orion's text editing features by editing existing files on your computer. Here's how:
- Open the
eclipse\eclipse.inifile in a text editor.
- In the
-vmargssection, add a line similar to this:
This sets the JVM system property
org.eclipse.e4.webide.server.allowedPathPrefixes, which tells the Orion server what local paths may be accessed by web users. Its value is a comma-separated list of absolute paths. (Remember that any Orion user who logs into your server will have this access, so don't point it to something sensitive.)
- Relaunch the Orion server.
- Log in and click the "Link Folder" or "Link Project" button on the toolbar.
- Type in a name for the link, and in the Server path: field, enter the path to the folder you want to link to (it must be a subdirectory of one of the paths you supplied in Step 2). Then click OK.
- You should now be able to browse and edit the contents of the folder from the Orion UI.
Stopping the server
- Go to the OSGi console window that opened when you launched the server.
closeand press Enter.
Managing files and folders
From the table view:
- To create a new folder, click the New Folder button on the toolbar.
- To create a new file, first drill into a folder by clicking on its name.
- Then you'll see the New File button appear on the toolbar. Click it to create a new file in the folder.
- To start editing a file, click its name.
From the tree view:
- To create or delete files or folders, right-click an item in the tree and use the context menu.
- To start editing a file, click the icon beside its name.