If you have a question that is not covered by this FAQ but think it should be, please let us know (on IRC, on the mailing list, or by filing a bug). Thanks!
Orion is a Mature open source project under the Eclipse top-level project.
- 1 What are the benefits of bringing the development infrastructure to the web?
- 2 What is the current status of the project?
- 3 What is Orion Hub?
- 4 Can OrionHub be used for real work?
- 5 Which technologies are running behind the scenes of the Orion project?
- 6 Orion is not based on the old Eclipse codebase, so how does the Orion code relate to the “old” Eclipse platform code and the other existing Eclipse projects?
- 7 Is Orion limited to providing a development infrastructure, or is it conceivable to use the Orion code for other purposes, in a similar way the Eclipse code was used for RCP and Runtime Projects?
- 8 What are the next steps for Orion?
What are the benefits of bringing the development infrastructure to the web?
More and more software and infrastructure is moving to the web and adopting web technologies. The same reasons apply to software development tooling:
- Zero install on the client
- Lower total cost of ownership
- Scalable computing power
- Simple connectivity -- links
- Trivial update mechanism (i.e. refresh the page)
- Powerful rendering engine -- browsers
- Very large and active community
What is the current status of the project?
What is Orion Hub?
http://orionhub.org is a public TEST server of Orion. It is available to the general public for the purpose of evaluating a stable Orion build. Everyone can request an account directly on the site. Note that this is a site meant to test Orion features and there is no guarantee that data stored on this server will be persisted. The Eclipse Foundation reserves the right to delete any and all data from the server. If you are trying it out, you should regularly push your changes to a remote Git repository such as Git Hub, copy your files to another server via SFTP, or export a Zip file with your changes.
Can OrionHub be used for real work?
Yes, however note that your data is on a public Test server and that your data is not backed up. From time to time, the user accounts on OrionHub may be reset or removed due to lack of use or misuse.
Which technologies are running behind the scenes of the Orion project?
Orion is not based on the old Eclipse codebase, so how does the Orion code relate to the “old” Eclipse platform code and the other existing Eclipse projects?
Is Orion limited to providing a development infrastructure, or is it conceivable to use the Orion code for other purposes, in a similar way the Eclipse code was used for RCP and Runtime Projects?
This is definitely conceivable, but not our current focus. We will definitely be thinking about this constantly as we are developing Orion further.
What are the next steps for Orion?
As we develop new features, we encourage you to try them out at orionhub.org.