Difference between revisions of "Orbit Minutes 070515"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(New page: * Call convened at [http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=05&day=15&year=2007&hour=10&min=0&sec=0&p1=188 1000 EDT] * Call-in: '''613.287.8000''' or '''866.362.7064''', pas...)
 
(Source Bundles)
 
(4 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 4: Line 4:
  
 
== Attendees ==
 
== Attendees ==
*  
+
* Christian Damus
 +
* Hubert Leung
 +
* Chris Aniszczyk
 +
* Tom Watson
 +
* Jeff McAffer
 +
* Kim Moir
 +
* Pascal Rapicault
 +
* DJ Houghton
  
 
== Discussion ==
 
== Discussion ==
Line 12: Line 19:
 
====IP Log info====
 
====IP Log info====
 
DJ to give an update on Orbit IP Log info web page generation. (student project)
 
DJ to give an update on Orbit IP Log info web page generation. (student project)
* Good progress being made.
+
* Many IP Log files have been created by bundle owners
* Should have initial version on the web site by tomorrow afternoon.
+
* Still some left to do
* Will create <code>ip_logs</code> sub-dir in the releng project for the files.
+
* Code is almost ready for integration into the build process.
* Have updated the wiki page with a template that most people can use.
+
* <font color="red">Action: DJ to integrate with build</font>
* Will send email to mailing list when the template is ready.
+
 
+
====Ant====
+
DJ will rename org.apache.tools.ant to org.apache.ant.
+
* Rename is done.
+
* Also released v1.7.0 to Orbit.
+
* Kim ran a Platform test build consuming v1.7.0 and it didn't work.
+
* It might have something to do with the qualifier. (it was added in orbit)
+
* <font color="red">Action: DJ to investigate cause of failure</font>
+
* We would like to keep the qualifier in the version if at all possible.
+
* <font color="blue">Problem was with the build.properties entry that adds to the classpath for building the ant tasks contributed by the <code>org.eclipse.ant.core bundle</code>. It was assuming that Ant was being checked out and contained <code>../org.apache.ant</code>. They were changed to use <code>platform:</code> and they work ok now. All of the other bundles which contribute Ant tasks in the SDK already used this format.</font>
+
 
+
====Milestone week====
+
Reminder we are going to promote to a stable build on Wednesday of this week.
+
* Milestone is tomorrow.
+
* There are some minor changes with the WTP bundles that will need a re-spin next week.
+
* We should do a diff of the map files to ensure that only those bundles have changed for the re-spin.
+
* Note: we use the CVS tags as the qualifier for bundle versions so they should have the same name.
+
  
 
====Xerces====
 
====Xerces====
 
David to give an update of where we are with splitting up the Xerces APIs bundle.
 
David to give an update of where we are with splitting up the Xerces APIs bundle.
* Work in progress.
+
* David not present at call to give update.
* It is hard to figure out the differences between the spec and the interfaces included with Xerces.
+
* Hopes to get things sorted out by the WTP milestone.
+
* <font color="red">Action: David to create wiki page with summary</font>
+
* Perhaps include a readme in the individual bundles so people know what to consume/depend on.
+
  
====Modification of 3rd party bundles====
+
====Bugs Blocking Orbit====
Jeff to give an update on where we are with packing third party bundles.
+
There are a few bugs in the platform which are serious enough to be blocking Orbit.
* Jeff unable to attend meeting.
+
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=163746 163746], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183608 183608], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176183 176183]
* <font color="red">Action: Jeff to talk to David and send email to the mailing list with summary</font>
+
* If we have 2 features that both include the same bundle and we install the features to 2 different extension locations, then when we start Eclipse and go to the Manage Configurations page there is automatically a red X on one of the features.
 +
* This is not a regression from Callisto - problem existed in Eclipse 3.2
 +
* Wasn't a blocker in Callisto so it is hard to argue that it is a blocker for Europa.
 +
* Update Manager isn't currently being developed so it will be hard to get the necessary changes in.
 +
* Its close to the release and the necessary changes are most likely not trivial so it will be hard to get approval for release.
 +
* Therefore these bugs will not be fixed for Europa.
  
===Other discussion topics===
+
===Other Discussion Topics===
  
====Other bundle updates====
+
====Source Bundles====
Christian is finished updating his bundles and they will be included in the next build. [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183595 bug 183595]
+
In Orbit we produce all these bundles but they don't have source and we don't want to include source in them all so we need a means of producing separate source bundles.
 +
* Pascal and DJ have been working to get this done.
 +
* Ant tasks and build changes have been identified.
 +
* Bundle providers will create nested source bundles with a specified format.
 +
* Pascal has written an Ant task to help create this format.
 +
* Wiki page ([[Orbit Source Bundles]]) will describe layout and process.
 +
* The Platform will have source bundles in RC1.
 +
* If they can't be produced as part of the Orbit build, then we will create them manually.
 +
* TPTP said they will be consuming source bundles for the next milestone.
  
====Bugs Blocking Orbit====
+
====JCraft====
There are a few bugs in the platform which are serious enough to be blocking Orbit.
+
A new version of JCraft is ready for Orbit
* [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=163746 163746], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=183608 183608], [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=176183 176183] - if we have 2 extension locations we only install to 1 but have probs if people disable that one and we are using bundles from it
+
* <font color="red">Action: DJ to release new version</font>
* If bundles are shared across locations then we see red Xs in the Manage Configs immediately
+
* The pre-built JAR is already signed but we're not sure by who
* This used to work before in callisto because shared bundles had their own features.
+
* Michael is contacting the bundle provider for more info. (we also have tools which will tell us)
* <font color="red">Action: DJ/Pascal to investigate</font>
+
* In Orbit we will not re-sign pre-built JARs.
* <font color="red">Action: DJ/Pascal to come up with a plan/proposal</font>
+
 
* Should a recommendation be don't use multiple locations anymore?
+
====Legal====
 +
People are confused by Orbit and the legal process. What do they need to do to contribute a bundle to Orbit? What do they need to do to consume a bundle from Orbit?
 +
* Jeff has been talking to Janet to flush out the details.
 +
* Recommendation is that when people want to contribute and use a third-party library bundle, they enter a CQ for Orbit (master) and then one for their project (e.g. WTP).
 +
* The release review for the Orbit bundles will be delegated to the consumers of the bundles.
 +
* Need a new status: one for "ready to use" and one for "ready to release".
 +
* "ready to release" is set after feedback from the consumer. They say "we have looked at this bundle and the about files and believe it will pass our release review".
 +
* <font color="red">Action: Jeff to create wiki page for CQ related HOWTO information</font>
 +
 
 +
====Release====
 +
We are getting close to the Platform 3.3 release, do we anticipate many more changes in Orbit before then?
 +
* We will promote a build to stable later this week so the Platform team can consume it.
  
 
==Next Meeting==
 
==Next Meeting==
* TBD
+
[http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=05&day=29&year=2007&hour=10&min=0&sec=0&p1=188 May 29, 2007 at 1000 EDT], Agenda: [[Orbit Minutes 070529]]
<!--
+
 
[http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?month=05&day=15&year=2007&hour=10&min=0&sec=0&p1=188 May 15, 2007 at 1000 EDT], Agenda: [[Orbit Minutes 070515]]
+
-->
+
  
 
[[Category:Orbit]]
 
[[Category:Orbit]]
 
[[Category:Orbit/Meeting]]
 
[[Category:Orbit/Meeting]]
 
[[Category:Meeting]]
 
[[Category:Meeting]]

Latest revision as of 11:11, 15 May 2007

Contents

[edit] Attendees

  • Christian Damus
  • Hubert Leung
  • Chris Aniszczyk
  • Tom Watson
  • Jeff McAffer
  • Kim Moir
  • Pascal Rapicault
  • DJ Houghton

[edit] Discussion

[edit] Review action items from last call

[edit] IP Log info

DJ to give an update on Orbit IP Log info web page generation. (student project)

  • Many IP Log files have been created by bundle owners
  • Still some left to do
  • Code is almost ready for integration into the build process.
  • Action: DJ to integrate with build

[edit] Xerces

David to give an update of where we are with splitting up the Xerces APIs bundle.

  • David not present at call to give update.

[edit] Bugs Blocking Orbit

There are a few bugs in the platform which are serious enough to be blocking Orbit.

  • 163746, 183608, 176183
  • If we have 2 features that both include the same bundle and we install the features to 2 different extension locations, then when we start Eclipse and go to the Manage Configurations page there is automatically a red X on one of the features.
  • This is not a regression from Callisto - problem existed in Eclipse 3.2
  • Wasn't a blocker in Callisto so it is hard to argue that it is a blocker for Europa.
  • Update Manager isn't currently being developed so it will be hard to get the necessary changes in.
  • Its close to the release and the necessary changes are most likely not trivial so it will be hard to get approval for release.
  • Therefore these bugs will not be fixed for Europa.

[edit] Other Discussion Topics

[edit] Source Bundles

In Orbit we produce all these bundles but they don't have source and we don't want to include source in them all so we need a means of producing separate source bundles.

  • Pascal and DJ have been working to get this done.
  • Ant tasks and build changes have been identified.
  • Bundle providers will create nested source bundles with a specified format.
  • Pascal has written an Ant task to help create this format.
  • Wiki page (Orbit Source Bundles) will describe layout and process.
  • The Platform will have source bundles in RC1.
  • If they can't be produced as part of the Orbit build, then we will create them manually.
  • TPTP said they will be consuming source bundles for the next milestone.

[edit] JCraft

A new version of JCraft is ready for Orbit

  • Action: DJ to release new version
  • The pre-built JAR is already signed but we're not sure by who
  • Michael is contacting the bundle provider for more info. (we also have tools which will tell us)
  • In Orbit we will not re-sign pre-built JARs.

[edit] Legal

People are confused by Orbit and the legal process. What do they need to do to contribute a bundle to Orbit? What do they need to do to consume a bundle from Orbit?

  • Jeff has been talking to Janet to flush out the details.
  • Recommendation is that when people want to contribute and use a third-party library bundle, they enter a CQ for Orbit (master) and then one for their project (e.g. WTP).
  • The release review for the Orbit bundles will be delegated to the consumers of the bundles.
  • Need a new status: one for "ready to use" and one for "ready to release".
  • "ready to release" is set after feedback from the consumer. They say "we have looked at this bundle and the about files and believe it will pass our release review".
  • Action: Jeff to create wiki page for CQ related HOWTO information

[edit] Release

We are getting close to the Platform 3.3 release, do we anticipate many more changes in Orbit before then?

  • We will promote a build to stable later this week so the Platform team can consume it.

[edit] Next Meeting

May 29, 2007 at 1000 EDT, Agenda: Orbit Minutes 070529