Orbit Minutes 061107
Revision as of 14:37, 21 November 2006 by Jeff-bugs.code9.com
- Call convened at 1100EST
- Jeff McAffer
- Bjorn Freeman-Benson
- Christian Damus
- John Graham
- DJ Houghton
- Hubert Leung
- Pascal Rapicault
- Scott Lewis
- Simon Kaegi
- Martin Oberhuber
- David Williams
- Review action items from last call
- Bundle naming The [Bundle Naming] conventions call for bundles to be named after the dominant package in a library. This works reasonably well but there are "legacy" cases such as Ant and JUnit that work less well. We need to agree on an approach for naming these bundles.
- Lots of discussion
- General reconfirmation of using the dominant package name approach
- In cases where the dominiant package is "malformed" (e.g., Junit uses just "junit") we will, on a case by case basis, create a well-formed bundle symbolic name that is as close as possible to the originator's package naming.
- For existing bundles whose names do not follow these conventions (e.g., Ant, JUnit 4) we discussed whether we should go for consistency or leave well enough alone. The consensus was that all bundles in Orbit should follow the conventions and where that requires a change in the name of an existing bundle (e.g., org.junit4 => org.junit version 4) we can provide a compatibility wrapper bundle that has the old name and requires and reexports the new bundle.
- Bundle registry
- There was some discussion around the need to expose which versions of which libraries are currently in Orbit. This is needed both for people to understand what is being worked on but also what is available for download.
- Agreed that each project should have a file in the HEAD branch that notes what branches there are.
- Each branch should then also have a readme.xml (or some such) to hold information such as version number, status, license, etc
- We can then create a server side tool that runs over the projects and gets all the files from the various branches and generates a table.
- The downloads page will end up having a table of available (built) versions
Open Action Items
- Simon to creaate a wiki page on how to manage source for Orbit bundles. * David and Bjorn to start setting up the build
- Jeff to work with the PDE team to ensure that having multiple versions of the same bundle will work smoothly.
- Jeff to setup another call in three weeks.
- DJ to test the wrappering
- David to setup a basic build for use in the mean time