pl -vos or -voes
- a simultaneous discharge of guns in battle or on a ceremonial occasion
- an outburst of applause or questions [Italian salva, from Latin salve! greetings!]
Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006
The Salvo Project is a proposed open source project under the Eclipse Technology Project.
This proposal is in the Project Proposal Phase (as defined in the Eclipse Development Process document) and is written to declare its intent and scope. This proposal is written to solicit additional participation and input from the Eclipse community. You are invited to comment on and/or join the project. Please send all feedback to the http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.technology.salvo newsgroup as soon as it exists and before that to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A traditional medium for asking questions and communicating with peers and experts is through the NNTP protocol commonly referred to as newsgroups but also known as USENET or Newsnet. The NNTP is a client/server protocol which enables publishing of articles or posts which mostly come in the form of Questions, Answers and Announcements. These articles are mostly plain text but can be posted in HTML or MIME format and can also include images or other binary objects.
Newsgroups are a low level entry for communication and have distinct advantages above other means of communication. Newsgroups are often used for asking questions and the articles are seen by a large number of people over a long period of time. Other means of asking questions are IRC (Internet Chat) and mailing lists. The advantage over IRC is that newsgroups are asynchronous and the advantage over mailing lists is that a larger group of persons is addressed and that there is less effort to participate.
However, access to this powerful medium is mostly through a plug-in in e-mail clients and time has come to put a dot on the I in IDE ;-).
Salvo, the proposed project, is a newsreader program that can be used to communicate through newsgroups. There are three goals in this project.
- Be a Duck
- Salvo will be used for accessing newsgroups and posting and reading articles. Of course, there will be numerous additions to make the Q&A experience in newsgroups as comfortable as possible. Several enhancements, not found in traditional newsreader programs have already been implemented such as subject highlighting for easy recognition of thread participation and offline reading.
- How nice would it be if users could ask questions right from the workbench and be notified if answers arrived. There is already a good example of how such a thing would be implemented by the "Report of Bug" feature of Mylyn. Ideally, this project would be part of a new top level project as defined by bug 279383
- Be an Eclipse project
- The project is build of several plug-ins and in such a way that the code can be used to access resources without needing the UI so that these parts can be re-used in other projects. The local storage module is currently file system based but could be swapped for a database implementation. The main tree can be integrated in any Navigator framework based view.
In 2009 there is a lot of buzz about binding the Eclipse consumers to the Eclipse providers. The Aware Workbench knows what the user is doing and knows the questions asked and bugs reported. The workbench will notify us as soon as answers arrive. There is demand for knowing our users so that we can engage in business with them, and/or, bridge the gap by providing ready to access, non-intrusive, commercial and technical information. How non-intrusive commercial information works in an Aware Workbench is depicted here:
The initial committers will focus on evolving and hardening the Newsreader model. Our agile development process will follow eclipse.org's standards for openness and transparency. The initial committers are:
More committers are welcome
Mentors from the Architecture Council
The following people have expressed interest in the tool, contributing ideas, guidance and discussion. Key contacts listed.
If Salvo is correctly integrated into the Workbench it could have quite an impact on the usability of Eclipse by lowering access to the already popular Eclipse newsgroups.
2009-06 v0.4.0: public release for comments