Difference between revisions of "Mylyn/Plan/3.0"
Latest revision as of 12:39, 16 June 2008
|Mylyn 2.1M||August 27, 2007||Eclipse 3.3.0 and 3.4M1||Ganymede Milestone|
|Mylyn 2.1||September 26, 2007||Eclipse 3.3.1 and 3.4M2||Europa Fall Maintenance|
|Mylyn 2.2M||November 7, 2007||Eclipse 3.3.1 and 3.4M3||Ganymede Milestone|
|Mylyn 2.2||December 19, 2007||Eclipse 3.3.1 and 3.4M4|
|Mylyn 2.3M||February 11, 2008||Eclipse 3.3.1 and 3.4M5||Ganymede Milestone|
|Mylyn 2.3||February 27, 2008||Eclipse 3.3.2 and 3.4M5eh||Europa Winter Maintenance (Feb 29)|
|Mylyn 3.0RC1||May 21, 2008||Eclipse 3.4RC1||API revised|
|Mylyn 3.0RC2||May 28, 2008||Eclipse 3.3.2 and 3.4RC2|
|Mylyn 3.0RC3||June 4, 2008||Eclipse 3.3.2 and 3.4RC3||API frozen|
|Mylyn 3.0RC4||June 11, 2008||Eclipse 3.3.2 and 3.4RC4|
|Mylyn 3.0||Jun 25, 2008||Eclipse 3.3.2 and 3.4.0||Ganymede Release|
For the Mylyn 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 New & Noteworhty see: http://eclipse.org/mylyn/new/
After RC1 is released, builds will be produced weekly until the 3.0 release. In the RC phase only bugs marked P2 or higher or severity major or higher will be fixed. APIs will not change except to address critical fixes based on integrator feedback, until RC3, at which point APIs will be frozen. Any API changes or other changes affecting integrators will be posted on will be posted on bug 227660.
The first goal of Mylyn is to make task and context management seamlessly integrated with the Eclipse Platform by providing rich and extensible frameworks for task repository connectors, structure bridges and team support. The second goal is to provide a reference implementation of the Task-Focused UI for the Eclipse SDK. This includes structure bridges for the artifacts supported by the SDK which include Java, PDE, Ant and generic files. It also includes the Bugzilla Connector as the reference task repository implementation, and CVS integration as the reference team support. Additional features can be considered based on the availability community contributions and resources.
In addition to using the planned themes listed below, we need to continue prioritizing the ongoing input of our growing user community. Committers should prioritize bugs in the following order. This order need not be used if a bug contains a community contribution of a patch, in which case the quality of the patch determines the priority.
- Frameworks & APIs: Tasks, Context, Team, Monitor, headless use
- UI: Tasks List, Task Editor, Task-focused UI
- Connectors: Bugzilla (reference implementation), Trac (committer supported), JIRA (community supported)
- Eclipse: 3.3 and 3.4 Milestones (only latest milestone supported at time of release)
- Java: JRE 5.0 or later required
- Operating Systems: all supported by Eclipse
June 2008 update: As with previous releases, we received a tremendous amount of user and integrator feedback during the Mylyn 2.x and 3.0 cycles (1997 reports filed since the Mylyn 2.0 release). Per the priorities listed above, our primary focus has been the APIs in order to improve the quality of the framework and support the rapidly growing number of Mylyn extensions. While we have resolved over 1500 reports since the 2.0 release, we have needed to defer a considerable number of reports, especially enhancement requests and significant UI changes. We will be prioritizing these reports, and the items marked [deferred] below, for the Mylyn 3.1 release cycle (see bug 236940).
Legend: in progress, completed, optional
- Remove need for use of internals: make it possible to create bridges without relying on Context Core and UI internals bug 204495
- Context framework: support extensions to other languages, e.g. JEE, AspectJ, DLTK
- Synchronization Jobs: support cancellation, provide factories for creating Job objects
- Task List Data Model: make data model thread-safe, specify data structure (e.g. no cycles), review type hierarchy
- Task Schema: remove need to extend AbstractTask, change query interface to require Task Data, provide extended task schema with a default attribute mapping
- Task Editor: decompose AbstractTaskEditor and make extensibility explicit
- Attachments: integrate attachments as stream-based resources
- Authentication: support additional authentication types, e.g. SSL-certificates bug 208935
- Task List Import/Export: provide a generic import/export API
- Common Task Schema: we currently have a common Java API with attribute mappints, it could be beneficial for connector implementors to have access to a common XML schema.
- Task List reuse: improve modularity of content providers, filters, interest, presentations
- Distribution: making reuse of framework more generic, supporting distribution without requiring the Eclipse SDK bug 191793
- [deferred] Improve feedback and usability of Alt+click navigation: make this feature more discoverable and easier to use. bug 175655
- [deferred] Improve resource change listening: opening projects currently causes them to become interesting, as does checking out of CVS bug 120499, bug 197942, bug 202817
- Improve fidelity of DOI model: the model implementation or tuning has not changed since the 0.3 release, and we need to iterate on the propagation mechanism and scaling factors in order to increase the information density of focused views. bug 118542, bug 150331, bug 175879
- Improve UI for interest manipulation: performance and discoverability need improving, action should be hidden when no task context is active. bug 196120
- Improve DOI model refactoring support: some refactorings cause the model to lose elements bug 119307, bug 171254, bug 164058
- Improved editor management policy: restore editors when no mementos available bug 197338
- Improve context preview facility: performance need improvement, activation should not be required, can provide compare facilitiesbug 174658, bug 138544
- Improve bug reporting feedback loop. When an error happens we should make it easier for to report a bug to the relevant task repository. Ensure that bundlings can provide additional handling to retain the producer/consumer separation. bug 150278, bug 182776, Platform: bug 124964
- Streamline task creation. Make it easier to create tasks, fork them, or promote local tasks to repository tasks. bug 154896, bug 152211, bug 203471
- [deferred] Improve information density on initial open. For common cases the editor should not need to be scrolled after being opened. bug 195656
- Improve representation of people. People are currently treated as email addresses. They should instead be an object that supports flexible display and operations such as content assist and additional actions.) bug 204068
- Improve performance of open. Tasks with very long comments or a large number of comments can be slow to open due to our use of multiple source viewers, and to to the wrapping computation of source viewers. bug 204054
- Improve display and navigation of attributes and related tasks and artifacts. Associated tasks, such as dependencies, subtasks, and duplicates. Attachment display also needs to be improved. bug 203661, bug 199675
- Support saving unsubmitted tasks: allow new tasks to be created while disconnected from the repository bug 152272
- Make the save lifecycle more flexible. Improve support of direct manipulation in a view (e.g. marking Complete via the Task List) and better handling or edits with additional workflow (e.g. attachments).
- Synchronize time active with repository: integrate Mylyn's active time tracking with task repositories. bug 212108
- Ease Editing: Improve interaction with the editor area and support rich/html/wiki editing where appropriate (e.g. repositories that use markup in comments). bug 203670
- Improve Backup and Restore: ensure that users can't lose more than one hour of changes bug 206734
- Improve Task List Rendering: especially on Mac and Linux bug 211011 [made progress, improvements for subtasks still needed]
- Improve scheduling and due date presentation: reduce amount of red visible in a typical Task List bug 206566, bug comment 158461, bug 173089, bug 150106, bug 158461
- Improve Task Archive UI: Design better interaction for Archive and Uncategorized categories
- Improve desktop notification mechanism: make it easier to interact with and more aesthetically pleasing
- Customization: support customized display of attributes displayed bug 199345
- Support search of local tasks: bug 205627
- Improve presentation of incoming changes: consider providing an incoming presentation(bug 177208)
- Improve experience working with a minimized Task List: e.g. show active task and working set somewhere on trim when minimized, ensure no visual redundancy when Task List visible.