IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives

From Eclipsepedia

< IoT‎ | M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes
Revision as of 10:13, 12 February 2013 by Bcabe.sierrawireless.com (Talk | contribs)

(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

2011-12-13

Attendees

  • Benjamin Cabé (Sierra Wireless)
  • Gaétan Morice (Sierra Wireless)
  • Scott DeDeugd (IBM)
  • Andy Piper (IBM)
  • Arlen Nipper (Eurotech)
  • Ian Skerrett (Eclipse Fdn)
  • Mike Milinkovich (Eclipse Fdn)

Agenda

  • IWG charter and official creation
  • Roadmap
  • Charter review
  • Recruitment

IWG charter and official creation

  • Ian will incorporate the suggested modification regarding Steerring Committee participation requirements.
  • Ian to send the announcement to the membership-at-large mailing-list later this week.
  • Sierra, IBM and Eurotech initial members of the Steering Committee.

Roadmap

  • No progress.
  • Need to work on Paho and Koneki roadmaps before the F2F meeting.

Recruitment

  • Mike and Ian to talk to Axeda later today about their participation.
  • Arlen to talk with someone from Telit.
  • Mike: when would be the best timing to start recruiting projects? (eg Mosquitto)
    • Arlen: we need to get the sandbox ready first
    • Ben: it's important to define the structure of the Koneki and Paho projects to have a better understanding of where new projects would end up.

Misc

  • Arlen and Scott will make a couple of M2M slidedecks available on the Wiki.
  • Next call will be on Jan, 10th.
  • Face-to-face meeting: try to schedule a dinner for the day before the meeting (Jan 30th).
  • Mike will share the address of a suggested hotel.
  • Ian will advertise the meeting on his blog so as people interested can join.
  • Andy will talk about the meeting at an IoT event in London tomorrow

2011-12-06

Attendees

  • Benjamin Cabé (Sierra Wireless)
  • Gaétan Morice (Sierra Wireless)
  • Andy Piper (IBM)
  • Patrick Dempsey (Band XI)
  • Ian Skerrett (Eclipse Fdn)
  • Mike Milinkovich (Eclipse Fdn)

Agenda

  • Koneki and Paho updates
  • Charter review
  • Recruitment

Paho update

  • Refactoring of the code ongoing internally at IBM (package names renaming...)
  • Eurotech also doing refactoring on its side.

Koneki update

  • Working on the project plan for the face-to-face meeting (application models, simulators)

Charter review

  • Benjamin: can we make it clearer what 2 ppl exactly means in the requirement to be part of the Steering Committee
  • Ian: We should clarify what it means to be actively participating: being an active committer, ...
    • ==> Ian to draft something in that direction
  • Andy to check how many FTE actually working on M2MIWG related stuff
  • Additions in the "Interested parties" section of the charter: Axeda, Band XI.

Face to Face meeting

  • Jan. 31st is confirmed.

Recruitment

  • Axeda is joining the Eclipse Foundation and interested in joining the IWG.
  • Mike highlights that we need to stimulate the participation of other companies.
  • Ian: we should invite companies to our F2F meeting, even though this is a members meeting.
  • Bosch, Pachube, Windriver
  • Ian suggest we try to invite a carrier. Benjamin to check for a contact at Sprint.
  • Ian: from the outside(feedback from Thingworx, for example), the IWG initiative looks very MQTT-centric, maybe we need to clarify this.

Misc.

  • Mike to check with Arlen how things are going regarding the setup of the Mosquitto sandbox
  • EclipseCon
    • IWG talk has been declined, 1 Koneki talk (Lua Development Tools), 1 Paho talk.
    • Ian: if we want to have a F2F meeting at EclipseCon, it is possible to book meeting rooms

2011-11-29

Attendees

  • Benjamin Cabé (Sierra Wireless)
  • Gaétan Morice (Sierra Wireless)
  • Scott DeDeugd (IBM)
  • Arlen Nipper (Eurotech)
  • Patrick Dempsey (Band XI)
  • Ian Skerrett (Eclipse Fdn)
  • Mike Milinkovich (Eclipse Fdn)

Agenda

  • Charter review
  • Roadmap
  • Recruiting update

Charter review

  • Get rid of the tentative roadmap section because it is stale in terms of timeline and we now have a dedicated roadmap document
  • Membership rules: two different levels of membership so as it is still meritocracy based even though the group is open to everyone
    • Is 2 ppl the right number of full-time appointed resources needed to be part of the steering committee?
      • "Appoint at least 2 developers/technical resources to contribute to the creation of M2M WG technologies" means that resources can also work on sponsored projects
      • Everybody agrees on the way membership rules are formulated
    • What would be the requirements in terms of advocacy?
    • Ian to propose something going in this direction
  • Creation could (should) happen on Dec. 8th (since review started Nov. 8th)
    • The list of initial members of the Steering Committee has to be finalized by then
    • Mike and Scott suggest to send a remainder so as more people can have a chance to look at the charter
    • Mike reminds that any Eclipse Fdn member meeting the participation requirements is in.
    • Scott: we're not in a hurry to formally start the WG.
    • Sierra Wireless, IBM and Eurotech to internally confirm that they want/will be part of the SC.

Roadmap

  • Programming model
    • Benjamin: more than programming model, what we certainly want to mention an "application model" (contract between embedded and server: description of data exchanged, communication interfaces, …)
    • Patrick to have a look and see internally if Band XI would be interested
    • Benjamin to provide more information regarding this model topic.

Face-to-face meeting

  • Date of 31st Jan. in IBM Hursley still on

Recruitment

  • Ian to come back to the handful of interested parties to see what would be their timeframe to join and see how that fits with the tentative launch date of Dec, 8th.

22nd Nov. 2011

Attendees

  • Benjamin Cabé (Sierra Wireless)
  • Scott DeDeugd (IBM)
  • Arlen Nipper (Eurotech)
  • Ian Skerrett (Eclipse Fdn)
  • Mike Milinkovich (Eclipse Fdn)

Agenda

  • Review of the first draft of roadmap
  • Face to face meeting
  • Recruitment
  • Mosquitto setup

Review of the first draft of the roadmap

  • Overview and background
    • Ian: we should define M2M better in the first section
    • Ian: is the roadmap only related to Eclipse projects?
    • Ian: highlight that we want to build an industry consortium
  • Basic Principles
    • Arlen: the feedback on MQTT recent announcements is that ppl think that everybody seems to pick his specific protocol and promote it / try to turn it into a standard
    • Mike & Arlen: we are fine with existing protocols (recent discussion about DNP 3.0 in MQTT google group), we don't aim at replacing them. We want to be above existing protocols.
    • There are questions still open in this section. Let's keep them as is and put the roadmap draft on the wiki.
    • Arlen: use cases definition is a difficult task ; especially if we have carriers involved (difficult to end up with use cases which are not too generic)
  • M2M vision, purpose & scope

Mike reminds that the charter is not final yet. We are in a 30-day period where the community can give feedback. Even after that period of time, updates to the charter are still possible though. The M2M Industry Working Group is part of an Open Source Foundation: we are looking at code contributions, not ending up with standards/open standards.

    • Ian: detail as much as possible where we want to go. What would be the success criteria for Koneki, for Paho
    • Synchronize the roadmap of individual projects / be sure they are in sync with the global roadmap of the IWG itself.
    • Mike: if Mosquitto is going to be hosted at Eclipse, it has to be in the scope
    • Ian: we should have a bottom-up approach --> "Here is what we want to accomplish, do you want to help us?"
    • Mike: need to have short iterations if possible
  • Near term direction
    • Everybody agrees that 12-18 months is a good duration (revision of the roadmap in ~6 months if needed)
    • Ian: roadmap v1.0 will have to be voted (as well as how to revise it)
  • Roadmap process:
    • Mike: say that we solicit feedback from the community, but mentioning that the steering committee will have to vote/approve changes

Face-to-face meeting

  • suggested date is Jan. 31st, in IBM Hursley
  • TBC before Christmas.

Recruitment

  • Members of the IWG discussed about companies that might be interested in joining the IWG (and becoming members of the EF)
  • Recruiting universities and research institutes would be very valuable: they could run their projects as Eclipse projects…

Mosquitto setup at Eclipse

  • Ian and Arlen still need to setup a meeting with Eclipse webmasters (user management, ACL, …)

15th Nov. 2011

Attendees

  • Benjamin Cabé (Sierra Wireless)
  • Gaétan Morice (Sierra Wireless)
  • Jean-Yves Reynaud (Sierra Wireless)
  • Scott DeDeugd (IBM)
  • Arlen Nipper (Eurotech)
  • Ian Skerrett (Eclipse Fdn)

EclipseCon feedback

  • BoF
    • About 10-12 interested people: home automation hobbyists, ppl working in companies interested in M2M
    • We need to agree on a common terminology: Benjamin to initialize a page on the wiki
    • We need to come up with a "big picture"
    • People don't quite get how MQTT will address the fragmentation in terms of "local" protocols (Modbus, CANbus, …)
      • clarify what MQTT is and what MQTT is not
    • "Communication challenge" ahead: everybody has its own definition of M2M
    • We need a roadmap!
  • Modeling / Hobbyists
    • People really interested by the approach where you work on the abstraction of what the application is doing (e.g. get a temperature every 10 min)
  • Setup a Mosquitto instance at Eclipse to lower the barrier for people (inc. hobbyists) to prototype more easily?
    • Deploy an Ubuntu version of Mosquitto at eclipse.org
    • Set-up to be discussed with Eclipse webmaster (Arlen and Ian)

Paho update

  • Code is ready to go. (3.0 version of MQTT)
  • CQ for IP review to be open soon
  • Proposal to be clarified re: server-side stuff

Koneki update

  • Lua Dev Tools now available on the market
  • Great feedback so far from the Lua community

EclipseCon 2012

  • Benjamin to submit the proposal, Benjamin and Scott speakers.
  • Ian suggest to submit technical proposals by Friday 18th! (Target "Mobile" and "Embedded" tracks)

What next?

  • Roadmap
    • Focus on what we think m2m/IoT should be
    • Define the marketecture / big picture
      • Everybody is encouraged to put ideas on the wiki
      • Scott to put a first draft on the wiki for next week
    • Arlen suggest to put together an FAQ
  • Face-to-Face meeting
    • Ian: face-to-face meeting purpose would be to come up with version 1.0 of the roadmap
    • Face-to-Face meeting tentative at the end of January: 30th or 31st in London area
  • Interested parties
    • Ian: should we try to recruit at least one carrier in the IWG?
      • Yes, but we need an actual roadmap first