Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes"

< IoT
(2011)
(Feb 12 minutes. Feb 19 agenda topics)
Line 13: Line 13:
 
*SIP clients can call 427@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 1156.
 
*SIP clients can call 427@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 1156.
 
<br>
 
<br>
= Feb 12, 2013 (proposed agenda)=
+
= Feb 19, 2013 (proposed agenda)=
* Next steps and feedback from review of Continua Sequence Diagrams as input to API work.
+
* Starting API Work.
* Could Arlen's pending MqGnatt contribution serve as a "best practices implementation" in combination with documentation?
+
* MqGnatt contribution
* Webinars
+
 
 +
<br>
 +
<br>
 +
= Feb 12, 2013=
 +
* There is general consensus that the Continua sequence diagrams can serve as starting point for REST mapping and API work. We will look for means to get that work going in one or more of the projects, on the next call.  Axeda's work on the scenarios will factor into this as well.
 +
* Arlen is still intending to contribute McGnatt. It could  as a "best practices implementation" in combination with some new documentation.
 +
* Possible Webinars
 +
** It was proposed that a whitepaper and/or webinar on Device Management/Provisioning with respect to the Eclipse work, would be of value.  Mats will look further into this.
 +
** A security webinar to outline and discuss security solutions in end-to-end M2M application development
 +
* An introduction to the Lua MQTT client, and the platforms and applications it is being used on.   
 
<br>
 
<br>
 
<br>
 
<br>

Revision as of 23:16, 18 February 2013

The Machine-to-Machine Industry Working Group is holding weekly calls on Tuesday at 9amET.
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public.

The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are as follows (if possible, please used caller paid numbers)

  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806

Participant conference extension: 427, then enter pin 1156

  • SIP clients can call 427@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 1156.


Feb 19, 2013 (proposed agenda)

  • Starting API Work.
  • MqGnatt contribution



Feb 12, 2013

  • There is general consensus that the Continua sequence diagrams can serve as starting point for REST mapping and API work. We will look for means to get that work going in one or more of the projects, on the next call. Axeda's work on the scenarios will factor into this as well.
  • Arlen is still intending to contribute McGnatt. It could as a "best practices implementation" in combination with some new documentation.
  • Possible Webinars
    • It was proposed that a whitepaper and/or webinar on Device Management/Provisioning with respect to the Eclipse work, would be of value. Mats will look further into this.
    • A security webinar to outline and discuss security solutions in end-to-end M2M application development
  • An introduction to the Lua MQTT client, and the platforms and applications it is being used on.



Feb 5, 2013

Attendees

  • Mats Samuelsson, Axeda
  • Patrick Dempsey, Band XI
  • Hilary Tomasson, Eurotech
  • Scott de Deugd, IBM

Continuation: discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda

  • Scott gave update on OASIS TC. Last date to join the TC is March 18th.
  • There was some feedback from review of Continua Sequence Diagrams that it looks like useful input to the API work. No next steps were agreed to but we will revisit this again after Phil and Mats have the opportunity to update the Scenarios and Problems.
  • Discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda but not covered last week.
    • Lua: Axeda would like to contribute to Lua Client. Scott suggested their project lead call into the bi-weekly Paho calls for an introduction to Andy Gelme.
    • Best Practices: There still are no volunteers for such a document but Mats said Axeda is interested in taking a lead to get this moving. There was some discussion of integration this with the pending MqGnatt contribution from Cirrus Link so we will discuss again when Arlen can make the cal.
  • Ian pointed out a potential new contributions from m2m.io (https://twitter.com/kylemroche/status/297462594699157505). It looks that discussion has moved to the MQTT Google Group.


Jan 29, 2013

Attendees

  • Mats Samuelsson, Axeda
  • Phil Lombardi, Axeda
  • Joe Biron, Axeda
  • Patrick Dempsey, Band XI
  • Arlen Nipper, Paho
  • Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless
  • Scott de Deugd, IBM

Discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda

  • High level positioning of the MQTT protocol (e.g. "long haul" networks). Scott and Arlen gave a brief overview of the discussion the OASIS C charter which led to describing a number of characteristics of MQTT and network topographies it is designed for. While it is well suited for wireless/constrained networks between an M2M gateway/edge and an enterprise type server, we probably want to avoid precluding its uses there, or in other network topologies. The IWG should pursue this as the topic of a white paper and it will be discussed again around MQTT-s (see note below)
  • Client ID:
    • The behavior to disconnect existing clients if a client connects to the broker with the same client ID is not ideal. It would be nice if the protocol specified that the broker should auto-assign an unused client ID. Perhaps this could be an option sent in one of the header fields?
    • It would be great if the client ID could hold at a minimum a UUID length of characters.
    • It was not clear that this needs to be part of the MQTT protocol Axeda will work this into a requirement set so that the IWG can understand the problem and work on a recommend solution in the Eclipse projects. Phil will take a look at the existing M2M use cases in the form of Scenarios and Problems, to see if they can be modified to include the situations Axeda anticipates.
  • MQTT-S: The community needs a public reference implementation of MQTT-S. When we performed our research on MQTT around October of 2012 we were unable to find any public implementations of MQTT-S. I remember seeing that the reason for this is that there are legal issues surrounding the MQTT-S spec somewhere on the MQTT Google Group.
    • Scott gave an overview of the OASIS Standardization effort and how it is positioned with Paho. Community feedback so far is that MQTT-S is important, yet out of scope of the OASIS Technical Committee. It is withing the scope of Paho and agreed to take this discussion outside the IWG calls to develop a recommendation.
  • The remaining topics brought up were deferred to a future call.



Archives

2012

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2012 Archives

2011

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives