Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes"

< IoT
(M2M Top-level project)
(Aug 27, 2014 (Marketing call))
 
(62 intermediate revisions by 8 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Machine-to-Machine Industry Working Group is holding weekly calls on Tuesday at 9amET.<br>Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public.  
+
The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding bi-weekly calls on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month at 12pm ET.<br>
 +
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public.  
  
The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are shown below (if possible, please used caller paid numbers). There are a few local / toll-free dial in numbers, but you may want to setup a SIP client on your computer if possible.
+
The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are shown below (if possible, please used caller paid numbers). There are a few local / toll-free dial in numbers, but you may want to setup a [https://wiki.eclipse.org/Asterisk#SIP SIP client] on your computer if possible.
  
* Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
+
* North America 1-866-569-4992
* North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806 (alternative: 1-866-569-4992)
+
* Germany 49-692-2224-6059
* Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059
+
* France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
* France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535
+
* UK 0800-033-7806
* UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
+
* Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
 +
* Sweden 46-85-063-8386
 +
* Italy 003-902-3604-8268
  
 
Participant conference extension: 713, then enter pin 68764
 
Participant conference extension: 713, then enter pin 68764
Line 13: Line 16:
 
SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.
 
SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.
  
= July 16, 2013 =  
+
= Sep 10, 2014 (PMC call) =
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
  
* M2M top level project
+
* Participation in Mars release train
** See [[Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/TLP_Charter_Draft]]
+
* New projects recruitment
* Marketing / Events
+
* JavaOne status update
** Momentum press release  
+
** EclipseCon Europe
+
* Greenhouse demo
+
  
== Attendees ==
+
== Participants ==
  
* Mats Samuelsson
+
* ...
* Ian Skerrett
+
* Benjamin Cabé
+
* Marco Carrer
+
* Andy Piper
+
  
== M2M Top-level project ==
 
  
* Next step is to get the scope and the charter to a point where people are comfortable with it
+
= Aug 27, 2014 (Marketing call) =
* Ian: in terms of naming, it would be bad to sacrifice the "M2M" in favor of "IoT"
+
* Projects will have to agree on moving
+
** Paho didn't discuss the move yet. Andy P said there's no reason Paho wouldn't move to where other M2M projects are
+
** Benjamin: Mihini would move, Koneki will do a restructuring review prior to the move (Lua Development Tools graduated with Kepler, and may stay in Technology TLP)
+
* Mats: Oracle is IoT, Axeda is M2M… Maybe we M2M/IoT would be better.
+
* Marco: we spent a lot of time marketing M2M, so Eclipse M2M is a good brand name
+
  
== Marketing / Events ==
+
== Agenda ==
  
* Momentum press release
+
* JavaOne Plans – demo schedule, press plans, party, web site
** Ian: great stuff happened in the last couple months.
+
* Webinars
** Ian drafted a PR that got sent to several community leads and companies so as they can validate the content that is relevant to them
+
* Face to Face meeting at EclipseCon Europe
** We can do another PR in the fall, maybe around EclipseCon Europe
+
  
* EclipseCon Europe
+
== Participants ==
** CfP runs until July 31st
+
** AndyP will have a look
+
** Mats will try to submit a talk too
+
  
** Tutorial
+
* Jens Reimann, IBH
*** Andy will post on the Paho mailing list to see if there is interest in running an M2M tutorial
+
* Benjamin Cabé, Roxanne Joncas and Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
*** Marco: maybe showing MQTT, OSGi, ...
+
* Kai Kreuzer, openHAB/SmartHome
 +
* Michael Bradley and Ian Craggs, IBM/Paho
 +
* Kris Clarke and Virgil Dodson, Actuate/BIRT
 +
* Dave Woodard and Marco, Eurotech/Kura
 +
* Thierry Monteil, OM2M
  
* Upcoming conferences
+
== JavaOne ==
** AndyP submitted a talk about M2M/Paho at JAX London (end of Oct)
+
** Benjamin submitted a talk for DroidCon London (end of Oct)
+
  
* Webinars
+
* Booth: we need to have a schedule (monday to wednesday)
** Paho news?
+
* Ian suggests to have 2-hrs slots
** Protocols in general
+
* Two tables, one is for Orion and JDT and the other is dedicated to IoT
** Ponte
+
** Benjamin: greenhouse demo
** Eclipse SCADA
+
** Kai K: SmartHome
 +
** Thierry and Mahdi: OM2M
 +
** Virgil and Kris: BIRT, ODA
 +
* We have very limited space so partners should be careful to not bring too much HW :)
  
== Greenhouse demo ==
+
* Flyer
 +
** There will be a general flyer explaining the whole IoT stack
 +
** Format will be letter size (8.5 x 11"), back and front
 +
** Ian will provide a template that projects can use for a project-specific flyer
  
* Demo is live since last week
+
* Party at the Twitter office will probably take place on the Monday
* A few ppl are already extending it!
+
** demos
** Google Glass app
+
** JavaFX app
+
* Developer kit
+
** We should work on making it simple to order the devkit, maybe by improving the bill of materials, instructions, etc.
+
* Would be interesting to work on another greenhouse talking MQTT
+
* Ian: we could have an "interoperability hackathon"
+
  
= July 2, 2013 =
+
* Web page dedicated to "IoT for Java developers" is being designed
  
== Agenda ==
+
== Webinars ==
  
* Presentation of the Eclipse SCADA [1] project proposal (by Jens Reimann and Jürgen Rose)
+
* First webinar on September 9
** See slides here: http://www.slideshare.net/JrgenRose/open-scada-quickoverviewv1
+
* We're going to use meetup.com to build a "virtual meetup group"
* M2M top level project
+
** Goal is to create an online community we can reach out to
** See [[Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/TLP_Charter_Draft]]
+
* Momentum press release
+
* Greenhouse demo
+
  
== Eclipse SCADA ==
+
== F2F meeting at ECE ==
  
* Scada is monitoring and control tool for computer systems
+
* It would be great to have a F2F meeting at ECE
 +
* Each project would have an opportunity to provide an update on where they are
  
* More human to machine than machine-to-machine
+
= Jun 4, 2014 (WG call) =
* Rely on existing hardware for interfacting
+
** Sensors are embedded in dataloggers, PLC, low-level control systems, … and they provide the data to higher level systems
+
** Open SCADA has "drivers" to convert existing protocols into "internal" protocol
+
* Master server based on OSGi/Equinox
+
* Pipeline to process data: round, scale, override, … that eventually reaches an User Interface
+
* Open SCADA not interested in doing the embedded part, rather interfacing with embedded systems
+
* Jürgen experimented with MQTT in order to create a driver for OpenSCADA.
+
* Master server is an OSGi (Equinox) application that dynamically be configured at runtime
+
* Several drivers available (not all them are "open-sourcable"): OPC, Modbus, Shell exec, …
+
* Configuration
+
* User Interface: GEF and Draw2D based. Allows to create a dashboard with e.g vector graphics
+
* Graphical widgets can be configured in XML
+
* Timeline:
+
** One mentor is identified, still need an extra one.
+
** Release 1.2 of OpenSCADA is in progress
+
*** removing some dependencies
+
*** relicensing under EPL
+
** Contribution expected in 1 to 2 months.
+
** By the end of the year there should be a first release available at Eclipse
+
** All sub-projects (Aurora, Atlantis, etc.) are in separate repositories
+
** Driver modules could be extracted
+
  
== Top-level project ==
+
== Agenda ==  
  
* Marco: should we have the discussions on the ML or the wiki?
+
* Review MQTT oriented marketing programs, specifically MQTT hackathons and improvements to MQTT web content
* Benjamin:
+
* Update on IOT Java promotion
** do we want the TLP to stay very horizontal, or also include vertical solutions
+
* Top-level project proposal
** it's important to clarify what deliverable are expected from the "Protocols" projects: one project per protocol and/or per language? what about wrappings/drivers for other frameworks?
+
* Other business
  
== Momentum press release ==
+
== Participants ==
  
* Deferred since Ian is on holiday
+
* Benjamin C, Eclipse Fdn
 +
* Ian S, Eclipse Fdn
 +
* Andy Piper, Paho
 +
* Dave Woodward, Eurotech
 +
* Jens, Eclipse SCADA
 +
* Kai, Eclipse SmartHome
 +
* Hilary, Eurotech
 +
* Virgil, Actuate
 +
* Kirk, 2lemetry
 +
* Ian Craggs, IBM
  
= June 18, 2013 =
 
  
== Agenda ==
+
== MQTT marketing programs ==
  
* Presentation of the Concierge project proposal (by Jan S. Rellermeyer)
+
* Web content around MQTT needs to be improved
* Marketing update / Past and upcoming events
+
* Start developer oriented events, like Hackathon
* Creation of an Eclipse top-level project for Machine-to-Machine
+
 
* Greenhouse demo
+
=== Web content ===
 +
 
 +
* mqtt.org website is run by Andy SC and maintained by Andy P and Nick O'Learry
 +
* Over the last few months, the community has been working on moving to a wiki hosted at Github
 +
* Ian S offers to have a graphics designer to work on the UI/UX of a new website
 +
* Kirk proposes to use 99designs
 +
* Andy suggests to rely on Jekyll to be able to run on Github
 +
 
 +
* Follow-up with a smaller group to come up with a 'creative brief'
 +
 
 +
=== Developer events ===
 +
 
 +
* Idea is to have MQTT hackathons in the fall
 +
* Need a list of locations/organizers who would like to organize
 +
** Kirk: Denver is a possible location (cf. Thingmonk USA)
 +
** Toronto would be an option
 +
 
 +
* Ian will setup a mailing list of people who showed up interest. Progress to be shared on iot-wg mailing-list
 +
 
 +
== Update on IoT Java promotion ==
 +
 
 +
* Announcement in Sept. of the Java offer
 +
* Benjamin is working on a demo scenario. H/W still need to be figured out (BBB, Raspberry Pi, ...)
 +
 
 +
== IoT Top-level project ==
 +
 
 +
* Charter is being drafted
 +
* Waiting from feedback for EMO re: pre-approved dual licensing
 +
 
 +
== Other business ==
 +
 
 +
* N/A.
 +
 
 +
= May 21, 2014 (Project leaders call) =
 +
 
 +
== Agenda ==
 +
 
 +
* Eclipse IoT top-level project
 +
* Deployment
 +
* Java launch
 +
* Licensing for 3rd party protocols
  
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
* Jan Relermeyer
+
* Benjamin C, Eclipse Fdn
* Benjamin Cabé
+
* Ian S, Eclipse Fdn
* Hilary Tomasson
+
* Kris, Actuate/BIRT
* Marco Carrer
+
* Virgil, Actuate/BIRT
* Peter Niblett
+
* Jens, IBH/SCADA
* Ian Skerrett
+
* Kai, openHAB/SmartHome
* Regrets: Mats Samuelsson
+
* Marco, Eurotech/Kura
 +
* Thierry, LAAS/OM2M
 +
* Mahdi, LAAS/OM2M
  
== Concierge project presentation ==
+
== Top-level project ==
  
* Concierge is a project started in 2006 as part of Jan's PhD
+
* Kai and Jens have been proposed as PMC co-lead
* Goal is to provide an OSGi implementation with the smallest footprint
+
* Kai: what would become of the IoT WG calls?
** targeting mobile and embedded
+
** WG is about marketing efforts, how to build a stack for the industry, ... so the WG would definitely still exist, and call schedule would remain the same
* OSGi R3 core implementation
+
* Each project leader would be invited to be a member of the PMC
** 86 kB of footprint
+
* Ian is volunteering to update the draft charter that we have on the wiki https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/M2MIWG/TLP_Charter_Draft
* The code is meant to be readable
+
* As part of the move to Eclipse, one of the goals is to reach OSGi R5 compliance
+
** biggest challenge is generics ; it's hard to optimize things such as package dependencies
+
* Target is ~300KB for the JAR footprint, and ability to run on Java 1.4 (JSR14)
+
* Roadmap
+
** Code submitted for IP review in July
+
** Compliance to the R5 TCK is gonna be addressed over the next couple months
+
** Compatibility with Android
+
* Other services from the compendium may be added
+
* Project will be dual-licensed under EPL and EDL (BSD-like)
+
* EventAdmin and HTTPService are part of the original Concierge project
+
* Help is welcomed for topics such as the implementation of new Compendium services.
+
  
== Marketing update / Past and upcoming events ==
+
== Deployment ==
  
* EclipseCon France 2013
+
* The Eclipse Marketplace will have an IoT category that can be used for promoting projects' p2 repositories
** Good M2M content
+
** {{bug|433975}} tracks the addition of the IoT category to the marketplace
** Interesting presentations around M2M/embedded ; eTrice, 4DIAC,…
+
** ODA for Kura, SmartHome designer, ... are good candidates for inclusion on the marketplace
* Upcoming
+
** Las Vegas.
+
*** M2M World Congress, September, Nice France
+
*** Benjamin and Ian to talk
+
** Eclipse Foundation will have a demo table
+
* JavaOne, San Francisco
+
* EclipseCon Europe, October, Germany
+
** Would be great to have a full track of M2M content :)
+
* Devoxx, Antwerp, Belgium
+
** Eclipse Foundation will have a booth
+
*** Tutorial?
+
** Peter Niblett may be interested to participate
+
** Bi-weekly calls will be used to discuss the opportunity to do a joint workshop
+
* Open Hardware Summit, September, Boston - MIT
+
* Press release - mid/end of July
+
** "Momentum" press release: new project proposals, existing releases, commercial announcements, …
+
* New project proposal: openSCADA.
+
  
== Creation of M2M top-level project ==
+
=== Raspberry Pi ===
  
* A top-level project is how projects are grouped under a specific technology domain
+
* Benjamin is working with IP team to make sure Eclipse projects can build binaries for the Raspberry Pi
* Top-level project have PMC (Project Management Committees) that take care of IP, approval of new committers, of new projects, dependencies, …
+
* We should provide a landing page for Raspberry Pi developers, that would provide instructions and pointers to download and install Eclipse IoT technology on Raspberry Pi
* Technology is the catch-all top-level project, but projects are encouraged to migrate to other top-level projects when they are ready and/or mature enough
+
** Benjamin will draft a website
* There are now enough projects that would fit under an M2M umbrella
+
* Marco volunteers to start a wiki page to document Debian packages build with jdeb
* Next steps:
+
** Define a scope. Ian suggests to use M2M IWG scope as a basis
+
** Draft a charter
+
** A TLP needs to be approved by the Board of Directors
+
  
== Greenhouse demo ==
+
== JavaOne launch ==
  
* Benjamin is looking for feedback on http://wiki.eclipse.org/Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Demonstrator
+
* Paho/Californium/Kura as the base stack
 +
* Other supporting projects: OM2M, SmartHome, SCADA, ...
  
 +
* We would need a "Getting started with Eclipse IoT". A technical writer will help.
  
 +
* Upcoming releases
 +
** There should be a release of Kura before JavaOne (2 CQs are still pending)
 +
** Paho is releasing for Luna
 +
** Californium (?? Matthias wasn't on the call)
  
= May 21, 2013 =
+
== Licensing for 3rd party protocols ==
 +
 
 +
* For now, projects should email license@eclipse.org when they plan on implementing a standard.
 +
* Jens suggests that it would be good to have guidelines and "ip in cartoons"-like stuff for implementing standards
 +
 
 +
= May 7, 2014 (WG call) =
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
  
* Project updates
+
* Java for IoT launch at JavaOne
** Koneki
+
** Review [[Launch_Plan_for_IoT_Java|wiki page]]
** Mihini
+
** Discuss content to create, demos, ...
** Paho
+
* Marketing around MQTT post interop testing day
* New project proposal: Eclipse Ponte
+
* IoT WG opportunity to join [http://www.iiconsortium.org/ Industrial Internet Consortium]
** Scope
+
* OM2M sandbox
** First feedbacks
+
* m2m.eclipse.org permanent demo
+
* EclipseCon France meeting
+
  
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
* Benjamin Cabé
+
* Benjamin, Eclipse Foundation
* Cuero Bugot
+
* Thomas, SmartHome
* Thomas Schuetz
+
* Jens, Eclipse SCADA
 +
* Ian, Eclipse Foundation
 +
* Wes, Eurotech
 +
* Kris, Actuate
 +
* Lynn, Actuate
 +
* Hilary, Eurotech
 +
* Anne, bitreactive
 +
* Virgil, Actuate
 +
* Mahdi, OM2M
 +
 
 +
== Java for IoT launch ==
 +
 
 +
* Eclipse Fdn will have a booth at JavaOne
 +
* Eurotech will have a booth too
 +
* bitreactive is interested in being involved with the demo
 +
 
 +
=== Demo ===
 +
 
 +
* We should try to have an overall integrated demo, that would be across several booth (eg. Eclipse Fdn for the core demo, Actuate for the reporting, Eurotech for the HW, ...)
 +
* ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to draft an outline of a demo scenario
 +
 
 +
=== Cookbook ===
 +
 
 +
* Series of short articles, how-tos, ...
 +
 
 +
== Marketing around MQTT ==
 +
 
 +
* Following the MQTT interop testing day, several attendees have expressed interest in doing more marketing efforts around MQTT
 +
 
 +
== IIC ==
 +
 
 +
* IBM, GE, Cisco, AT&T, and others
 +
* IIC won't provide standards, they are more about influencing existing standards / open-source communities with requirements
 +
* IIC aims at building testbeds for IoT solutions
 +
* Ian explains that cross-membership is being considered (Eclipse Fdn to join IIC and the other way around)
 +
** This also means opportunities to have joint meetings and joint events too
 +
 
 +
== OM2M sandbox ==
 +
 
 +
* ACTION ITEM: Mahdi to work with Benjamin and IT on setting up an OM2M sandbox
 +
 
 +
= April 22, 2014 (Project Leader Call) =
 +
 
 +
== Agenda ==
 +
# Review plans for Java stack launch  - Launch plan
 +
# Build support for Windows and OS/X  - Reference bug 415757
 +
# New sandbox servers for CoAP and Lightweight M2M
 +
# Other questions and issues from project leaders
 +
 
 +
== Participants ==
 
* Ian Skerrett
 
* Ian Skerrett
* Matteo Collina
+
* Kai Kreuzer
 +
* Mattias Kovatsch
 +
* Jens Reimann
 
* Marco Carrer
 
* Marco Carrer
* Hilary Tomasson
+
* Jan Rellermeyer
* Andy Piper
+
* Peter Niblett
+
  
== Project updates ==
+
== IoT Java Launch ==
 +
* Review [[https://wiki.eclipse.org/Launch_Plan_for_IoT_Java draft plan]]
 +
** Discussion about what are the packages and key deliverables. It was decided we have two main deliverables: 1) A set of foundation building blocks for IoT Java developers, including Paho, Calfornium, Kura and Concierge. 2) Solutions for IoT, including a solution for Industrial IoT in Eclipse SCADA and a solution for home automation in Eclipse SmartHome. These solutions make use of the foundation building blocks.  NOTE: OM2M might be another solution for Telecos?
 +
** Discussion about the demos. The target will be to have at least 3 demos: 1) Green house demo that shows the foundation building blocks using Kura, MQTT, CoAP, etc. 2) Eclipse SmartHome demos and 3) Eclipse SCADA demo. The goal is to show each of these demos sharing data via MQTT and CoAP. Also show a consistent programming model using OSGi and Concierge.
 +
** Discussion about deployment targets. Initial target will be Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone but this might need to be refined.
 +
** ACTION ITEM: Ian will update the plan based on this discussion.
  
=== Koneki ===
+
== Build Support for Windows and OS/X ==
 +
* Existing bug [[https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=415757 415757]] captures the requirement for build machines for non-Java projects but we need to capture what other IoT projects have this requirement.
 +
* ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to include this requirement in his deployment infrastructure document.
  
* Polishing 1.0 release
+
== Update on Concierge ==
* Started to work on new tooling for Mihini for building application packages from the IDE
+
* Jans provides an update on the development plan for Concierge.  
 +
** R5 compatibility expect in the next month. Two key issues raised:
 +
# EMF dependency on Equinox blocks projects like SmartHome from using Concierge. Bug [[https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=328227 328227]] is tracking this issue.
 +
# Dependency Services is not implemented in Concierge. Kura makes use of DS so we need to identify what services are required. ACTION ITEM: Marco will open a bug on Concierge to track the requirements.
  
=== Mihini ===
+
== New Meeting Time ==
 +
* We want to move the meeting time so people from the west coast of the USA can participate. Project leaders please identify what time work for you on this [[http://doodle.com/xzr9xz5y6vu5pd33 Doodle poll]].
  
* Small bug fixes
+
= April 8, 2014 (WG call) =
* Documentation
+
* Re-implementing security for being IP clean
+
  
=== Paho ===
+
== Agenda ==
  
* Working towards a 0.5 release
+
* New time for the bi-weekly call
** Java and C clients (other clients are not as mature)
+
* '''Ecosystem page''' on iot.eclipse.org update
** Mavenizing the Java client
+
* '''Java for IoT''' – with many Eclipse IoT projects running on Java, it would be nice to discuss what can be done to improve and demonstrate our Java end-to-end story
* Javascript client contributed by IBM
+
* '''IoT events''' – upcoming events, speaking and sponsorship opportunities
** New Python binding from Roger.
+
 
* Discussion about other protocols (CoAP, M3DA) addition to Paho
+
== Participants ==
** Current focus is releasing Paho 0.5 with MQTT clients, and see later for new protocols
+
 
* Target date is May 31
+
* Benjamin Cabé
 +
* Ian Skerrett
 +
* Hilary Thomasson
 +
* Linda Ariani Gunawan
 +
* David Sciamma
 +
* Marco Carrer
  
== Eclipse Ponte ==
+
== New time for the call ==
  
* Ponte project goal is to empower the M2M developers
+
* It's proposed to have the call 2 hours later (and not necessarily on a Tuesday), in order to allow participant in Pacific time to join
** ease the development of normal and web applications
+
* ACTION ITEM: Benjamin will send a Doodle poll
* There will be different protocols anyway
+
* Another goal is addressing the data format
+
** Most of existing data formats can be converted with each other
+
* Security
+
** OAuth
+
  
* First feedback received from Toby Jaffrey
+
== Ecosystem webpage ==
  
* Presentation about QEST/Ponte at EclipseCon France
+
* Web page will go live at the end of the week
* Everything in Ponte to JSON if possible
+
* ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to put the page live, and send a mail to the mailing list
* Protobuf, MsgPack, Bysant are targeted as reprensatation format
+
  
* Andy P is an interested party
+
== Java for IoT ==
** Ponte could be a good opportunity to have an even better JS story in Paho (mqtt-js)
+
  
* Ponte has Coffeescript code that will be reworked to be pure JS
+
* Good progress on the technology side – great story for Java developers
 +
* Ian would like to put together a plan for JavaOne: tutorials, documentation, deliverables
 +
* Hilary: Eurotech will be at JavaOne
 +
* Marco: we should start a wiki page
 +
* We should target more interoperability demos
 +
* ACTION ITEM: Ian/Benjamin -> create a wiki page
  
== m2m.eclipse.org demonstrator ==
+
== IoT Events ==
  
* Matteo suggests to create a Twitter bot using Hubot
+
* IoTLive tomorrow
* Benjamin: on the demo page we could feature "Other cool projects connected to this demo" and "Commercial solutions"
+
* EclipseCon France call for papers
* Ian: This demo should really be about promoting interoperability
+
* Hilary will share upcoming IoT events
* Benjamin will add the documentation of the REST API for interacting with the demo on github
+
* IoT DevCon in early may, Eclipse Fdn has a tabletop
  
== EclipseCon France meeting ==
+
== Misc ==
  
* F2F meeting for the 4th of June is cancelled because many participants would have been on the phone anyway
+
* MQTT Interop Day press release went out today: http://iot.eclipse.org/documents/2014-04-08-MQTT-Interop-test-day-report.html
  
= May 7, 2013 =
+
= April 1, 2014 (Project leads call) =
  
 
== Agenda ==
 
== Agenda ==
  
* Project updates
+
* Build infra and integration needs
** Koneki
+
* Java demo at JavaOne
** Mihini
+
* Misc
** Paho
+
* m2m.eclipse.org permanent demo update
+
* Eclipsecon France meeting agenda
+
  
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
* Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless
+
* Benjamin Cabe
* Didier Lahay, Sierra Wireless
+
* Ian Skerrett
* Cuero Bugot, Sierra Wireless
+
* Kai Kreuzer
* Hillary Tomasson, Eurotech
+
* Mattias Kovatsch
 +
* Scott Lewis
 +
* Ian Craggs
 +
* Jurgen Rose
 +
* Jens Reimann
 +
* Mahdi Ben Alaya
  
== Project updates ==  
+
== Build Infra ==  
  
=== Koneki ===
+
The goal was to discuss what projects do today for building for MacOSX, Windows, ARM, ... and what could be done to simplify project lives.
  
* 1.0 RC1 released last week
+
* Getting an Equinox launcher for ARM sounds like something that would be useful to projects like SCADA and possibly SmartHome (Equinox is bootstraped manually when SmartHome runs on e.g. Raspberry Pi)
* On track for 1.0 final with Kepler
+
** People should subscribe to {{bug|431197}}
  
=== Mihini ===
+
* Build for Windows and Mac
 +
** Eclipse SCADA is using Hudson Windows slave to build signed MSI installers for Windows
 +
** '''ACTION ITEM''': Benjamin will discuss with Eclipse Webmaster what is the best practice for Win and Mac build (Hudson slaves seem to be for testing only)
  
* Need to work on replacing security libraries that are not approved (IP) for use at eclipse.org
+
* Signing
 +
** Eclipse SCADA is building RPM and DEB packages already
 +
** There is no proper solution for signing such packages which need to be signed using gpg
 +
*** '''ACTION ITEM''': Benjamin to coordinate with Eclipse Webmaster to discuss the opportunity of using gpg for signing linux packages
 +
** It appears interesting to provide debian or rpm package repositories at Eclipse in a central way
 +
*** '''ACTION ITEM''': Benjamin to coordinate with Eclipse Webmaster to discuss thoughts on package repos.
  
=== Paho ===
+
== Demo ==
  
* No one from Paho on the call.
+
* Ian explained that it would be great to have a nice demonstration of our Java story for JavaOne in September
* Benjamin indicates that there were new clients contributions done in the last couple weeks: Python, Javascript, ...
+
* Idea would be to start collecting thoughts for a really compelling Java story, and start producing articles, demos, tutorials, ... for JavaOne
 +
* Kai Kreuzer details his vision for a SmartHome demo
 +
** already discussing with Jan from Concierge to get SmartHome running on Concierge
 +
** Paho is already being used, if Moquette comes to Eclipse SmartHome could also repackage an MQTT broker
 +
** Kai discussing with Marco on how to integrate w/ Kura
 +
* Jens explains that SCADA also plans on doing a demo together with eTrice and 4DIAC, targetting end-Sept
 +
** demo would be something more industrial, using Modbus
 +
* Scott Lewis described that ECF's implementation of standards-based OSGi Remote Services currently runs on Concierge (or any R5 OSGi framework), and that ECF has an [http://www.eclipse.org/ecf/NewAndNoteworthy.html MQTT remote services provider] currently based upon the [http://www.eclipse.org/paho Paho Java Client].  Given this, and the [https://wiki.eclipse.org/ECF existing tutorials and examples], it would be straightforward to put together a JavaOne demo...perhaps even for/with SmartHome...based upon Concierge, OSGi Remote Services, and MQTT...with standardization/interoperability being operative at all levels (OSGi framework, remoting/distribution, and messaging protocol/transport).
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Ian will put together a plan of what could be done for JavaOne
 +
** Of course projects will have to be willing to provide support and help on actually implementing demos
  
== Eclipse M2M technologies permanent demo ==
+
== Misc ==
  
* Benjamin to create a Wiki page to document this demo and list the goals, conditions to participate...
+
* Mattias explains he's now ready to contribute Californium to Eclipse, the current code base being now "frozen" after successful participation to IETF CoAP interop testing event.
 +
* Kai is interested in having CoAP support in SmartHome
 +
* Mahdi lets us know that two students are currently working on 1/ a CoAP Californium binding in OM2M and 2/ an Eclipse SCADA integration
  
== Face-to-Face meeting - June, 4 ==
+
* Everyone is invited to use the WG mailing list to post updates on cross-IoT-project work on the mailing list to encourage collaboration and sharing of knowledge
  
* The tentative agenda is [[[http://wiki.eclipse.org/Machine-to-Machine/Face-2-Face-Meeting-June4-2013#Agenda here]]]
+
* Note: JavaOne CfP ends on Apr15: http://www.oracle.com/javaone/call-for-papers/index.html
* People are invited to register by adding their name to the Wiki page.
+
* Hillary to check with Marco if there are items that Eurotech would like to add to the agenda
+
  
= Apr 23, 2013 =
+
= February 11, 2014 =
  
== Agenda ==
+
== Agenda ==  
  
* Project updates
+
* Live demos on the website
** Koneki
+
* Ecosystem promotion on the website
** Mihini
+
* Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update
** Paho
+
* m2m.eclipse.org permanent demo
+
* Eclipsecon France meeting
+
* Upcoming events
+
  
 
== Participants ==
 
== Participants ==
  
* Peter Niblett
 
 
* Benjamin Cabé
 
* Benjamin Cabé
 +
* Mattias Kovatsch
 +
* David Sciamma
 +
* Julien Vermillard
 +
* Jens Reimann
 +
* Andy Piper
 +
* Jurgen Rose
 
* Ian Skerrett
 
* Ian Skerrett
* Laurent Barthélémy
+
* Hilary Tomasson
* Cuero Bugot
+
* Thomas Schuetz
+
* Mats Samuelsson
+
* Hilary Thomasson
+
* Marco Carrer
+
  
== eTrice introduction ==
+
== Live demos ==
  
* Thomas, project lead of Eclipse eTrice
+
* The Eclipse IoT website should help demonstrate and showcase the open-source IoT technologies available at Eclipse. Benjamin suggests that project leads should think about the demo they'd have to contribute
* The focus of eTrice is to provide toolset for modeling and code generation for embedded systems
+
* Jens: SCADA team has a limited bandwidth to work on a live demonstrator over the next couple weeks
* Based on ROOM language, a DSL from telecom industry, that can also be used for machine control
+
* Eurotech
* Interest in finding new applications, what would be useful for ppl in the M2M area to use eTrice as a tool
+
** It's been discussed to try to have an always running version of the people counter. Hilary will synchronize with Marco
* Automotive and machine controls
+
* Mattias: it is hard to provide live/web demos of CoAP. Video would be an option
* Lots of people interested in using eTrice for various domains: banking, Machine-to-Machine
+
** A test server could be hosted on iot.eclipse.org, and you could download Copper for Firefox (CoAP plugin) for doing some tests
* eTrice is good at programming distributing applications
+
* Benjamin suggests to have videos of the projects that are diffcult to demonstrate live
  
== Project updates ==
+
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Hilary/Marco and Ian to discuss about people counter demo
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Ian to ping Bitreactive regarding what demo content they would have
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Benjamin to follow up with Mattias to setup a CoAP sandbox server at eclipse.org
  
=== Paho update ===
+
== Ecosystem promotion on the website ==
  
* Java: creation of a 0.2 release candidate, update of the Eclipse view
+
* The ecosystem webpage draft available at http://iot.eclipse.org/ecosystem.html
* Bug triaging
+
* After a discussion between Hilary and Ian, it's agreed to rework the page to list the Steering Committee members at the top of the page
* New Python MQTT client contributed
+
* Ian: each member company needs to provide product description, and company description
* Objective-C still under IP review
+
* Mattias: could we provide an overview of the building blocks that are part of the ecosystem?
* JS client pending
+
* Ian: we need to create a better presentation of what the projects do together
  
=== Koneki update ===
+
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Benjamin to update ecosystem webpage to list SC members at the top
 +
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Ian to ask members to provide content on the WG mailing list
  
* 1.0 M1 released last week: adds support for Lua 5.2, LuaJIT
+
== Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update ==
* New and Noteworthy available [[http://wiki.eclipse.org/Koneki/LDT/User_Area/New_Noteworthies/New_Noteworthy_1.0|here]]
+
  
=== Mihini update ===
+
* Ian provides the group with an updated on the Eclipse IoT rebranding
 +
** Logos are available for anyone to use: https://wiki.eclipse.org/IOT/Resources#Eclipse_IoT_logo
 +
** Website: we didn't really redo it, just renamed M2M->IoT, and updated the logo
 +
** Wiki has been moved to http://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT
 +
** Still TODO is renaming the mailing-list
  
* Problems with the IP of some libraries (security)
+
* '''ACTION ITEM''': Ian to create iot-wg mailing-list and subscribe everybody who's on m2m-iwg to this new list
* Adding GPIO APIs
+
  
== m2m.eclipse.org permanent demo ==
+
== Additional topics ==
  
* Sierra team working on setting up hardware and web UI for a 24/7 greenhouse demo
+
=== Google Summer of Code (GSoC) ===
* Same greenhouse should be usable for any server-side platform
+
* Axeda interested in having the demo compatible with its platform
+
* Thomas: eTrice could be used for simulating the system control, visualizing the changing data
+
  
== EclipseCon France ==
+
* Google has a program for university students. Students are being paid for working on OSS projects (4500USD per student)
 +
* First step in the process is to come up with some ideas
 +
* Next is mentoring the students
 +
* IDEAS:
 +
** Visualization for MQTT / Ponte
 +
** ...
  
* Meeting of the IWG the day before, June 4th
+
* '''ACTION ITEM''': ALL people interested should '''please complete the dedicated wiki page''' https://wiki.eclipse.org/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014_Ideas#Ideas
  
== Upcoming Events ==
+
= January 28, 2014 =
  
* M2M World Congress: Ian and Benjamin to speak. Should Eclipse and partner have a booth
+
== Agenda ==
* Ian, Mike Milinkovich and Peter will talk in Atlanta, on May 7th, about OASIS MQTT initiative, M2M...
+
  
== Kepler democamps ==
+
* Introduction of all the project leaders so they know each other and the projects
 +
* Q&A on the Eclipse project creation process to make sure everyone is moving forward with their project.
 +
* Identification of future points of collaboration
  
* June: democamp and hackathons all around the world
+
== Participants ==
* Would be great to have people volunteering for demoing Eclipse M2M technologies :)
+
  
= Apr 9, 2013 =
+
* Benjamin - Sierra Wireless
 +
* Jens and Jurgen - IBH, Eclipse SCADA
 +
* Mattias - ETH Zurich, Californium
 +
* Jan - IBM research, Concierge
 +
* David Navarro and Hatem - Intel, LWM2M
 +
* Thomas - Eclipse SmartHome
 +
* Wes and Marco - Eurotech, Kura
 +
* Andy - CloudFoundry, Paho
 +
* Ian - Eclipse Fdn
 +
* Mahdi - LAAS, OM2M
 +
* Thierry - LAAS, OM2M
  
== Agenda ==
+
== Eclipse SCADA – Jens & Jürgen ==
  
* Partners Recruitment* Webinars
+
* SCADA system based on Eclipse and OSS components
* EclipseCon France (CFP, IWG meetings)
+
* Industrial sites and plants with PLC
* Weekly calls format
+
** data acquisition
 +
** middleware for processing the data
 +
** client applications to visualize the whole data
 +
* '''Status and Next steps''':
 +
** Project proposed in 2013
 +
** Source code is in the repository
 +
** First milestones of 0.1 version are available
 +
** Estimated release date for 0.1: next few weeks
 +
** Need to create a website for the project
  
== Attendees  ==
+
== Californium – Mattias ==
* Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Fdn
+
* Californium is a Java impl of the CoAP protocol
* Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless,
+
* Implemented during Mattias' PhD
* Didier Lahay, Sierra Wireless,
+
* Has been used for validating IETF drafts
* Hilary Tomasson, Eurotech
+
* Good scalability results
* Peter Niblett, IBM
+
* Comes with a DTLS (security) implementation
* Andy Piper, CloudFoundry
+
* Idea is now to make it a "real" open-source project
 +
* '''Status and Next steps''':
 +
** Code is already on Github https://github.com/mkovatsc/Californium
 +
** Still looking for interested parties
 +
** Need to ask for Creation Review
  
 +
== Concierge - Jan ==
  
== Partners recruitment ==
+
* Concierge also started at ETH Zurich as an implementation of OSGi R3 meant to run on constrained devices
 +
* Footprint is 314KB
 +
* Concierge is def. interested in other projects using Concierge and providing feedback
 +
* '''Status and Next steps''':
 +
** Code is currently being brought to R5 compliance (93% complete so far)
 +
*** 2 missing features so far: Resolver hooks, new way to acquire resources via bundle wiring.
 +
*** Initial contribution of the code needs some clean-up but should be done in the next days
  
* End-to-end demo. Need to communicate about it
+
== LWM2M - David & Hatem ==
* #iot on twitter
+
* Telefonica has just launched a cloud? m2m-telefonica
+
* Andy reached out to them on Twitter
+
  
* Add to the Eclipse portal
+
* LWM2M is an OSS implementation of OMA LWM2M
* Greenhouse is nice to show at events but maybe not really exciting from an industry perspective (oil, power plant, … could be more appropriate)
+
* David is involved in Device Management technologies at OMA
* Companies should be able to take the embedded gateway source code and connect it to their cloud
+
* LWM2M targets IoT devices
 +
* In June 2013 a first open-source version of lwm2m was released on github, see https://github.com/01org/liblwm2m
 +
* Project proposed at Eclipse in Dec-2013
 +
* '''Status and Next steps''':
 +
** Creation review to be scheduled soon
  
== Events to target in Q3 ==
+
== Eclipse SmartHome - Thomas ==
  
* M2M World Congress in Nice - end september
+
* UI, rules, persistence services, etc. for controlling and automating things
** they are still looking for content
+
* Eclipse SmartHome is created
* 3-5000EUR to share a booth
+
* There are many Eclipse projects that SmartHome is interested in collaborating with:
* JavaOne
+
** Concierge
** same week at M2M World Congress
+
** Californium
** Ian to send more details
+
** Paho is used already
* Connected World - June
+
** Kura
** Eurotech is attending
+
* '''Status and Next steps''':
* M2M Evolution - part of the ITExpo (US) - end of August
+
** All CQs are submitted / some CQs are still waiting for approval but check-in was granted
** Eurotech is attending
+
** First binary build should be available "soon", most likely this quarter
* M2M Summit - Dusseldorf - early october
+
  
* One M2M
+
== Kura - Wes & Marco ==
* JAX
+
  
== Webinars ==
+
* 45 CQs, most of them approved as part of the parallel IP process / 14 CQs still pending
 +
* Code will be on Eclipse's github repo
 +
* Some CQs might not be approved
 +
** libdbus - which is dual-licensed academic free-license / LGPL
 +
** gxt - graphical toolkit on top of GWT
 +
* '''Status and Next steps''':
 +
** First release should be in a couple weeks (when pending CQs will have been resolved)
  
* Mihini
+
== Paho - Andy ==
* M3DA
+
* Paho/MQTT: Hilary to check if Eurotech could do another webinar
+
  
 +
* MQTT implementations in Java, JS, Python, C, C++, Objective-C, Lua, Go
 +
* Objective-C has just passed parallel IP
 +
* Standardization work at OASIS – to be concluded in the next few months
 +
* The teams works closely with the Mosquitto project
 +
** Mosquitto is an MQTT broker
 +
* '''Status and Next steps''':
 +
** Paho intends to join Luna and release C and Java clients, probably JS
  
 +
== OM2M - Mahdi & Thierry ==
  
== F2F meeting at EclipseCon France ==
+
* OM2M is an open-source Java implementation of the ETSI M2M standard
 +
* Service capability layer for device, gateway, and network
 +
* RESTful design to enhance interop
 +
* HTTP (Thinking about integrating CoAP and MQTT protocols).
 +
* OSGi-fication using Equinox, build using Maven Tycho
 +
* '''Status and Next steps''':
 +
** Trademark review pending, next step will be to schedule a creation review
  
* 4th of June in the afternoon
+
== Collaboration between projects ==
  
 +
* Andy: would that make sense to have kind of a cross-projects mailing-list?
 +
** Ian suggests to start with the m2m-iwg mailing-list for now
 +
* Ian: is there a need for a build infrastructure for e.g building for the Raspberry Pi
 +
** Jens: yes! building for Windows is also a requirement for EclipseSCADA
 +
** Marco: would be great to have ready-to-use binaries for popular open-hw platforms
  
== Meeting are now moved to bi-weekly ==
+
* Ian suggests to open bugs for capturing requirements from the projects about build infrastructure and the like
  
* Benjamin will send an updated invitation
+
* Mattias: it would be great if the m2m.eclipse.org website would feature a more visual representation of how the projects are working/connected with each other
  
= Apr 2, 2013 =
+
* IoT day - April 9th
 +
** Idea would be to have a one-day webinar
 +
*** If projects have resources they would like to feature, this would be a great opportunity
 +
*** '''ACTION''': Benjamin and Ian to put together a more formal plan about this event
  
== Agenda ==
+
* Ian reminds project leaders that if they need help with creating a logo for their projects, he can assist
  
* EclipseCon feedback (M2M sessions, F2F meeting)
+
* Ian: it would be great if by the end of 2014 this group would be able to provide a "ready-to-use" platform for IoT
* M3DA/MQTT convergence
+
* EclipseCon France
+
  
== Attendees  ==
+
= January 14, 2014 =
*Hilary Tomasson, Eurotech
+
*Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless
+
  
== Misc. ==
+
== Agenda ==  
  
Call was very short since most people didn't show up (Easter holiday)
+
* IoT events for the beginning of 2014:
Benjamin reminded Hilary that EclipseCon France call for papers is running until the 15th and that it would be interesting to get more M2M content submitted.
+
** [https://fosdem.org/2014/ FOSDEM], (Feb 1-2, 2014)
 +
** [[Eclipse_IoT_Day_Grenoble_2014|Eclipse IoT day Grenoble]] (Feb. 19, 2014),
 +
** [http://www.eclipsedayflorence.com/ EclipseDay Florence] (May 23, 2014),
 +
** [http://iotevents.org/details/2014-internet-of-things-day International IoT day] (Apr 9, 2014),
 +
** Devoxx FR, ...
 +
** …
 +
* Eclipse M2M to Eclipse IoT rebranding: actions, planning
 +
* Demos on the website
 +
* EclipseCon 2014 Burlingame: MQTT interop day, …
  
<br>
+
== Participants ==
  
= Feb 19, 2013 (proposed agenda)=
+
* Marco Carrer
* Starting API Work.
+
* Ian Skerrett
* MqGnatt contribution
+
* Benjamin Cabé
  
<br>
+
== Events ==
<br>
+
= Feb 12, 2013=
+
* There is general consensus that the Continua sequence diagrams can serve as starting point for REST mapping and API work. We will look for means to get that work going in one or more of the projects, on the next call.  Axeda's work on the scenarios will factor into this as well.
+
* Arlen is still intending to contribute McGnatt. It could  as a "best practices implementation" in combination with some new documentation.
+
* Possible Webinars
+
** It was proposed that a whitepaper and/or webinar on Device Management/Provisioning with respect to the Eclipse work, would be of value.  Mats will look further into this.
+
** A security webinar to outline and discuss security solutions in end-to-end M2M application development
+
* An introduction to the Lua MQTT client, and the platforms and applications it is being used on.   
+
<br>
+
<br>
+
  
= Feb 5, 2013=
+
* Discussion on potential events
== Attendees  ==
+
** Eurotech will present Kura during IoT Day in Grenoble
*Mats Samuelsson, Axeda
+
** Marco will see if Eurotech ppl from London are interested in attending FOSDEM in Brussels Feb 1-2.
*Patrick Dempsey, Band XI
+
 
*Hilary Tomasson, Eurotech  
+
== Project leads sync call ==
*Scott de Deugd, IBM
+
 
==Continuation: discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda==
+
* Benjamin and Ian will coordinate with project leads to invite them to the call in two weeks time to share progress and experiences with the Eclipse process
* Scott gave update on OASIS TC. Last date to join the TC is March 18th.
+
* There was some feedback from review of Continua Sequence Diagrams that it looks like useful input to the API work. No next steps were agreed to but we will revisit this again after Phil and Mats have the opportunity to update the Scenarios and Problems.
+
* Discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda but not covered last week.
+
**Lua: Axeda would like to contribute to Lua Client. Scott suggested their project lead call into the bi-weekly Paho calls for an introduction to Andy Gelme.
+
**Best Practices: There still are no volunteers for such a document but Mats said Axeda is interested in taking a lead to get this moving. There was some discussion of integration this with the pending MqGnatt contribution from Cirrus Link so we will discuss again when Arlen can make the cal.
+
* Ian pointed out a potential new contributions from m2m.io (https://twitter.com/kylemroche/status/297462594699157505). It looks that discussion has moved to the MQTT Google Group.
+
<br>
+
  
= Jan 29, 2013 =
 
== Attendees  ==
 
*Mats Samuelsson, Axeda
 
*Phil Lombardi, Axeda
 
*Joe Biron, Axeda
 
*Patrick Dempsey, Band XI
 
*Arlen Nipper, Paho
 
*Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless
 
*Scott de Deugd, IBM
 
==Discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda==
 
*''High level positioning of the MQTT protocol'' (e.g. "long haul" networks). Scott and Arlen gave a brief overview of the discussion the OASIS C charter which led to describing a number of characteristics of MQTT and network topographies it is designed for. While it is well suited for wireless/constrained networks between an M2M gateway/edge and an enterprise type server, we probably want to avoid precluding its uses there, or in other network topologies. The IWG should pursue this as the topic of a white paper and it will be discussed again around MQTT-s (see note below)
 
*''Client ID:
 
**The behavior to disconnect existing clients if a client connects to the broker with the same client ID is not ideal. It would be nice if the protocol specified that the broker should auto-assign an unused client ID. Perhaps this could be an option sent in one of the header fields?
 
**It would be great if the client ID could hold at a minimum a UUID length of characters.''
 
**It was not clear that this needs to be part of the MQTT protocol Axeda will work this into a requirement set so that the IWG can understand the problem and work on a recommend solution in the Eclipse projects. Phil will take a look at the existing M2M use cases in the form of [http://wiki.eclipse.org/Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/M2M_Scenarios Scenarios and Problems], to see if they can be modified to include the situations Axeda anticipates. 
 
*''MQTT-S: The community needs a public reference implementation of MQTT-S. When we performed our research on MQTT around October of 2012 we were unable to find any public implementations of MQTT-S. I remember seeing that the reason for this is that there are legal issues surrounding the MQTT-S spec somewhere on the MQTT Google Group.''
 
**Scott gave an overview of the OASIS Standardization effort and how it is positioned with Paho. Community feedback so far is that MQTT-S is important, yet out of scope of the OASIS Technical Committee. It is withing the scope of Paho and agreed to take this discussion outside the IWG calls to develop a recommendation.
 
*The remaining topics brought up were deferred to a future call.
 
<br>
 
 
----------------------------------------
 
----------------------------------------
  
 
= Archives =
 
= Archives =
 +
== 2013 ==
 +
 +
[[Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2013 Archives]]
 +
 
== 2012 ==
 
== 2012 ==
  

Latest revision as of 11:55, 10 September 2014

The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding bi-weekly calls on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month at 12pm ET.
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public.

The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are shown below (if possible, please used caller paid numbers). There are a few local / toll-free dial in numbers, but you may want to setup a SIP client on your computer if possible.

  • North America 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany 49-692-2224-6059
  • France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
  • UK 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
  • Sweden 46-85-063-8386
  • Italy 003-902-3604-8268

Participant conference extension: 713, then enter pin 68764

SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.

Contents

Sep 10, 2014 (PMC call)

Agenda

  • Participation in Mars release train
  • New projects recruitment
  • JavaOne status update

Participants

  • ...


Aug 27, 2014 (Marketing call)

Agenda

  • JavaOne Plans – demo schedule, press plans, party, web site
  • Webinars
  • Face to Face meeting at EclipseCon Europe

Participants

  • Jens Reimann, IBH
  • Benjamin Cabé, Roxanne Joncas and Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  • Kai Kreuzer, openHAB/SmartHome
  • Michael Bradley and Ian Craggs, IBM/Paho
  • Kris Clarke and Virgil Dodson, Actuate/BIRT
  • Dave Woodard and Marco, Eurotech/Kura
  • Thierry Monteil, OM2M

JavaOne

  • Booth: we need to have a schedule (monday to wednesday)
  • Ian suggests to have 2-hrs slots
  • Two tables, one is for Orion and JDT and the other is dedicated to IoT
    • Benjamin: greenhouse demo
    • Kai K: SmartHome
    • Thierry and Mahdi: OM2M
    • Virgil and Kris: BIRT, ODA
  • We have very limited space so partners should be careful to not bring too much HW :)
  • Flyer
    • There will be a general flyer explaining the whole IoT stack
    • Format will be letter size (8.5 x 11"), back and front
    • Ian will provide a template that projects can use for a project-specific flyer
  • Party at the Twitter office will probably take place on the Monday
    • demos
  • Web page dedicated to "IoT for Java developers" is being designed

Webinars

  • First webinar on September 9
  • We're going to use meetup.com to build a "virtual meetup group"
    • Goal is to create an online community we can reach out to

F2F meeting at ECE

  • It would be great to have a F2F meeting at ECE
  • Each project would have an opportunity to provide an update on where they are

Jun 4, 2014 (WG call)

Agenda

  • Review MQTT oriented marketing programs, specifically MQTT hackathons and improvements to MQTT web content
  • Update on IOT Java promotion
  • Top-level project proposal
  • Other business

Participants

  • Benjamin C, Eclipse Fdn
  • Ian S, Eclipse Fdn
  • Andy Piper, Paho
  • Dave Woodward, Eurotech
  • Jens, Eclipse SCADA
  • Kai, Eclipse SmartHome
  • Hilary, Eurotech
  • Virgil, Actuate
  • Kirk, 2lemetry
  • Ian Craggs, IBM


MQTT marketing programs

  • Web content around MQTT needs to be improved
  • Start developer oriented events, like Hackathon

Web content

  • mqtt.org website is run by Andy SC and maintained by Andy P and Nick O'Learry
  • Over the last few months, the community has been working on moving to a wiki hosted at Github
  • Ian S offers to have a graphics designer to work on the UI/UX of a new website
  • Kirk proposes to use 99designs
  • Andy suggests to rely on Jekyll to be able to run on Github
  • Follow-up with a smaller group to come up with a 'creative brief'

Developer events

  • Idea is to have MQTT hackathons in the fall
  • Need a list of locations/organizers who would like to organize
    • Kirk: Denver is a possible location (cf. Thingmonk USA)
    • Toronto would be an option
  • Ian will setup a mailing list of people who showed up interest. Progress to be shared on iot-wg mailing-list

Update on IoT Java promotion

  • Announcement in Sept. of the Java offer
  • Benjamin is working on a demo scenario. H/W still need to be figured out (BBB, Raspberry Pi, ...)

IoT Top-level project

  • Charter is being drafted
  • Waiting from feedback for EMO re: pre-approved dual licensing

Other business

  • N/A.

May 21, 2014 (Project leaders call)

Agenda

  • Eclipse IoT top-level project
  • Deployment
  • Java launch
  • Licensing for 3rd party protocols

Participants

  • Benjamin C, Eclipse Fdn
  • Ian S, Eclipse Fdn
  • Kris, Actuate/BIRT
  • Virgil, Actuate/BIRT
  • Jens, IBH/SCADA
  • Kai, openHAB/SmartHome
  • Marco, Eurotech/Kura
  • Thierry, LAAS/OM2M
  • Mahdi, LAAS/OM2M

Top-level project

  • Kai and Jens have been proposed as PMC co-lead
  • Kai: what would become of the IoT WG calls?
    • WG is about marketing efforts, how to build a stack for the industry, ... so the WG would definitely still exist, and call schedule would remain the same
  • Each project leader would be invited to be a member of the PMC
  • Ian is volunteering to update the draft charter that we have on the wiki https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/M2MIWG/TLP_Charter_Draft

Deployment

  • The Eclipse Marketplace will have an IoT category that can be used for promoting projects' p2 repositories
    • bug 433975 tracks the addition of the IoT category to the marketplace
    • ODA for Kura, SmartHome designer, ... are good candidates for inclusion on the marketplace

Raspberry Pi

  • Benjamin is working with IP team to make sure Eclipse projects can build binaries for the Raspberry Pi
  • We should provide a landing page for Raspberry Pi developers, that would provide instructions and pointers to download and install Eclipse IoT technology on Raspberry Pi
    • Benjamin will draft a website
  • Marco volunteers to start a wiki page to document Debian packages build with jdeb

JavaOne launch

  • Paho/Californium/Kura as the base stack
  • Other supporting projects: OM2M, SmartHome, SCADA, ...
  • We would need a "Getting started with Eclipse IoT". A technical writer will help.
  • Upcoming releases
    • There should be a release of Kura before JavaOne (2 CQs are still pending)
    • Paho is releasing for Luna
    • Californium (?? Matthias wasn't on the call)

Licensing for 3rd party protocols

  • For now, projects should email license@eclipse.org when they plan on implementing a standard.
  • Jens suggests that it would be good to have guidelines and "ip in cartoons"-like stuff for implementing standards

May 7, 2014 (WG call)

Agenda

  • Java for IoT launch at JavaOne
    • Review wiki page
    • Discuss content to create, demos, ...
  • Marketing around MQTT post interop testing day
  • IoT WG opportunity to join Industrial Internet Consortium
  • OM2M sandbox

Participants

  • Benjamin, Eclipse Foundation
  • Thomas, SmartHome
  • Jens, Eclipse SCADA
  • Ian, Eclipse Foundation
  • Wes, Eurotech
  • Kris, Actuate
  • Lynn, Actuate
  • Hilary, Eurotech
  • Anne, bitreactive
  • Virgil, Actuate
  • Mahdi, OM2M

Java for IoT launch

  • Eclipse Fdn will have a booth at JavaOne
  • Eurotech will have a booth too
  • bitreactive is interested in being involved with the demo

Demo

  • We should try to have an overall integrated demo, that would be across several booth (eg. Eclipse Fdn for the core demo, Actuate for the reporting, Eurotech for the HW, ...)
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to draft an outline of a demo scenario

Cookbook

  • Series of short articles, how-tos, ...

Marketing around MQTT

  • Following the MQTT interop testing day, several attendees have expressed interest in doing more marketing efforts around MQTT

IIC

  • IBM, GE, Cisco, AT&T, and others
  • IIC won't provide standards, they are more about influencing existing standards / open-source communities with requirements
  • IIC aims at building testbeds for IoT solutions
  • Ian explains that cross-membership is being considered (Eclipse Fdn to join IIC and the other way around)
    • This also means opportunities to have joint meetings and joint events too

OM2M sandbox

  • ACTION ITEM: Mahdi to work with Benjamin and IT on setting up an OM2M sandbox

April 22, 2014 (Project Leader Call)

Agenda

  1. Review plans for Java stack launch - Launch plan
  2. Build support for Windows and OS/X - Reference bug 415757
  3. New sandbox servers for CoAP and Lightweight M2M
  4. Other questions and issues from project leaders

Participants

  • Ian Skerrett
  • Kai Kreuzer
  • Mattias Kovatsch
  • Jens Reimann
  • Marco Carrer
  • Jan Rellermeyer

IoT Java Launch

  • Review [draft plan]
    • Discussion about what are the packages and key deliverables. It was decided we have two main deliverables: 1) A set of foundation building blocks for IoT Java developers, including Paho, Calfornium, Kura and Concierge. 2) Solutions for IoT, including a solution for Industrial IoT in Eclipse SCADA and a solution for home automation in Eclipse SmartHome. These solutions make use of the foundation building blocks. NOTE: OM2M might be another solution for Telecos?
    • Discussion about the demos. The target will be to have at least 3 demos: 1) Green house demo that shows the foundation building blocks using Kura, MQTT, CoAP, etc. 2) Eclipse SmartHome demos and 3) Eclipse SCADA demo. The goal is to show each of these demos sharing data via MQTT and CoAP. Also show a consistent programming model using OSGi and Concierge.
    • Discussion about deployment targets. Initial target will be Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone but this might need to be refined.
    • ACTION ITEM: Ian will update the plan based on this discussion.

Build Support for Windows and OS/X

  • Existing bug [415757] captures the requirement for build machines for non-Java projects but we need to capture what other IoT projects have this requirement.
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to include this requirement in his deployment infrastructure document.

Update on Concierge

  • Jans provides an update on the development plan for Concierge.
    • R5 compatibility expect in the next month. Two key issues raised:
  1. EMF dependency on Equinox blocks projects like SmartHome from using Concierge. Bug [328227] is tracking this issue.
  2. Dependency Services is not implemented in Concierge. Kura makes use of DS so we need to identify what services are required. ACTION ITEM: Marco will open a bug on Concierge to track the requirements.

New Meeting Time

  • We want to move the meeting time so people from the west coast of the USA can participate. Project leaders please identify what time work for you on this [Doodle poll].

April 8, 2014 (WG call)

Agenda

  • New time for the bi-weekly call
  • Ecosystem page on iot.eclipse.org update
  • Java for IoT – with many Eclipse IoT projects running on Java, it would be nice to discuss what can be done to improve and demonstrate our Java end-to-end story
  • IoT events – upcoming events, speaking and sponsorship opportunities

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabé
  • Ian Skerrett
  • Hilary Thomasson
  • Linda Ariani Gunawan
  • David Sciamma
  • Marco Carrer

New time for the call

  • It's proposed to have the call 2 hours later (and not necessarily on a Tuesday), in order to allow participant in Pacific time to join
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin will send a Doodle poll

Ecosystem webpage

  • Web page will go live at the end of the week
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to put the page live, and send a mail to the mailing list

Java for IoT

  • Good progress on the technology side – great story for Java developers
  • Ian would like to put together a plan for JavaOne: tutorials, documentation, deliverables
  • Hilary: Eurotech will be at JavaOne
  • Marco: we should start a wiki page
  • We should target more interoperability demos
  • ACTION ITEM: Ian/Benjamin -> create a wiki page

IoT Events

  • IoTLive tomorrow
  • EclipseCon France call for papers
  • Hilary will share upcoming IoT events
  • IoT DevCon in early may, Eclipse Fdn has a tabletop

Misc

April 1, 2014 (Project leads call)

Agenda

  • Build infra and integration needs
  • Java demo at JavaOne
  • Misc

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabe
  • Ian Skerrett
  • Kai Kreuzer
  • Mattias Kovatsch
  • Scott Lewis
  • Ian Craggs
  • Jurgen Rose
  • Jens Reimann
  • Mahdi Ben Alaya

Build Infra

The goal was to discuss what projects do today for building for MacOSX, Windows, ARM, ... and what could be done to simplify project lives.

  • Getting an Equinox launcher for ARM sounds like something that would be useful to projects like SCADA and possibly SmartHome (Equinox is bootstraped manually when SmartHome runs on e.g. Raspberry Pi)
  • Build for Windows and Mac
    • Eclipse SCADA is using Hudson Windows slave to build signed MSI installers for Windows
    • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin will discuss with Eclipse Webmaster what is the best practice for Win and Mac build (Hudson slaves seem to be for testing only)
  • Signing
    • Eclipse SCADA is building RPM and DEB packages already
    • There is no proper solution for signing such packages which need to be signed using gpg
      • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to coordinate with Eclipse Webmaster to discuss the opportunity of using gpg for signing linux packages
    • It appears interesting to provide debian or rpm package repositories at Eclipse in a central way
      • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to coordinate with Eclipse Webmaster to discuss thoughts on package repos.

Demo

  • Ian explained that it would be great to have a nice demonstration of our Java story for JavaOne in September
  • Idea would be to start collecting thoughts for a really compelling Java story, and start producing articles, demos, tutorials, ... for JavaOne
  • Kai Kreuzer details his vision for a SmartHome demo
    • already discussing with Jan from Concierge to get SmartHome running on Concierge
    • Paho is already being used, if Moquette comes to Eclipse SmartHome could also repackage an MQTT broker
    • Kai discussing with Marco on how to integrate w/ Kura
  • Jens explains that SCADA also plans on doing a demo together with eTrice and 4DIAC, targetting end-Sept
    • demo would be something more industrial, using Modbus
  • Scott Lewis described that ECF's implementation of standards-based OSGi Remote Services currently runs on Concierge (or any R5 OSGi framework), and that ECF has an MQTT remote services provider currently based upon the Paho Java Client. Given this, and the existing tutorials and examples, it would be straightforward to put together a JavaOne demo...perhaps even for/with SmartHome...based upon Concierge, OSGi Remote Services, and MQTT...with standardization/interoperability being operative at all levels (OSGi framework, remoting/distribution, and messaging protocol/transport).
  • ACTION ITEM: Ian will put together a plan of what could be done for JavaOne
    • Of course projects will have to be willing to provide support and help on actually implementing demos

Misc

  • Mattias explains he's now ready to contribute Californium to Eclipse, the current code base being now "frozen" after successful participation to IETF CoAP interop testing event.
  • Kai is interested in having CoAP support in SmartHome
  • Mahdi lets us know that two students are currently working on 1/ a CoAP Californium binding in OM2M and 2/ an Eclipse SCADA integration
  • Everyone is invited to use the WG mailing list to post updates on cross-IoT-project work on the mailing list to encourage collaboration and sharing of knowledge

February 11, 2014

Agenda

  • Live demos on the website
  • Ecosystem promotion on the website
  • Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update

Participants

  • Benjamin Cabé
  • Mattias Kovatsch
  • David Sciamma
  • Julien Vermillard
  • Jens Reimann
  • Andy Piper
  • Jurgen Rose
  • Ian Skerrett
  • Hilary Tomasson

Live demos

  • The Eclipse IoT website should help demonstrate and showcase the open-source IoT technologies available at Eclipse. Benjamin suggests that project leads should think about the demo they'd have to contribute
  • Jens: SCADA team has a limited bandwidth to work on a live demonstrator over the next couple weeks
  • Eurotech
    • It's been discussed to try to have an always running version of the people counter. Hilary will synchronize with Marco
  • Mattias: it is hard to provide live/web demos of CoAP. Video would be an option
    • A test server could be hosted on iot.eclipse.org, and you could download Copper for Firefox (CoAP plugin) for doing some tests
  • Benjamin suggests to have videos of the projects that are diffcult to demonstrate live
  • ACTION ITEM: Hilary/Marco and Ian to discuss about people counter demo
  • ACTION ITEM: Ian to ping Bitreactive regarding what demo content they would have
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to follow up with Mattias to setup a CoAP sandbox server at eclipse.org

Ecosystem promotion on the website

  • The ecosystem webpage draft available at http://iot.eclipse.org/ecosystem.html
  • After a discussion between Hilary and Ian, it's agreed to rework the page to list the Steering Committee members at the top of the page
  • Ian: each member company needs to provide product description, and company description
  • Mattias: could we provide an overview of the building blocks that are part of the ecosystem?
  • Ian: we need to create a better presentation of what the projects do together
  • ACTION ITEM: Benjamin to update ecosystem webpage to list SC members at the top
  • ACTION ITEM: Ian to ask members to provide content on the WG mailing list

Eclipse IoT/M2M Rebranding update

  • ACTION ITEM: Ian to create iot-wg mailing-list and subscribe everybody who's on m2m-iwg to this new list

Additional topics

Google Summer of Code (GSoC)

  • Google has a program for university students. Students are being paid for working on OSS projects (4500USD per student)
  • First step in the process is to come up with some ideas
  • Next is mentoring the students
  • IDEAS:
    • Visualization for MQTT / Ponte
    • ...

January 28, 2014

Agenda

  • Introduction of all the project leaders so they know each other and the projects
  • Q&A on the Eclipse project creation process to make sure everyone is moving forward with their project.
  • Identification of future points of collaboration

Participants

  • Benjamin - Sierra Wireless
  • Jens and Jurgen - IBH, Eclipse SCADA
  • Mattias - ETH Zurich, Californium
  • Jan - IBM research, Concierge
  • David Navarro and Hatem - Intel, LWM2M
  • Thomas - Eclipse SmartHome
  • Wes and Marco - Eurotech, Kura
  • Andy - CloudFoundry, Paho
  • Ian - Eclipse Fdn
  • Mahdi - LAAS, OM2M
  • Thierry - LAAS, OM2M

Eclipse SCADA – Jens & Jürgen

  • SCADA system based on Eclipse and OSS components
  • Industrial sites and plants with PLC
    • data acquisition
    • middleware for processing the data
    • client applications to visualize the whole data
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Project proposed in 2013
    • Source code is in the repository
    • First milestones of 0.1 version are available
    • Estimated release date for 0.1: next few weeks
    • Need to create a website for the project

Californium – Mattias

  • Californium is a Java impl of the CoAP protocol
  • Implemented during Mattias' PhD
  • Has been used for validating IETF drafts
  • Good scalability results
  • Comes with a DTLS (security) implementation
  • Idea is now to make it a "real" open-source project
  • Status and Next steps:

Concierge - Jan

  • Concierge also started at ETH Zurich as an implementation of OSGi R3 meant to run on constrained devices
  • Footprint is 314KB
  • Concierge is def. interested in other projects using Concierge and providing feedback
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Code is currently being brought to R5 compliance (93% complete so far)
      • 2 missing features so far: Resolver hooks, new way to acquire resources via bundle wiring.
      • Initial contribution of the code needs some clean-up but should be done in the next days

LWM2M - David & Hatem

  • LWM2M is an OSS implementation of OMA LWM2M
  • David is involved in Device Management technologies at OMA
  • LWM2M targets IoT devices
  • In June 2013 a first open-source version of lwm2m was released on github, see https://github.com/01org/liblwm2m
  • Project proposed at Eclipse in Dec-2013
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Creation review to be scheduled soon

Eclipse SmartHome - Thomas

  • UI, rules, persistence services, etc. for controlling and automating things
  • Eclipse SmartHome is created
  • There are many Eclipse projects that SmartHome is interested in collaborating with:
    • Concierge
    • Californium
    • Paho is used already
    • Kura
  • Status and Next steps:
    • All CQs are submitted / some CQs are still waiting for approval but check-in was granted
    • First binary build should be available "soon", most likely this quarter

Kura - Wes & Marco

  • 45 CQs, most of them approved as part of the parallel IP process / 14 CQs still pending
  • Code will be on Eclipse's github repo
  • Some CQs might not be approved
    • libdbus - which is dual-licensed academic free-license / LGPL
    • gxt - graphical toolkit on top of GWT
  • Status and Next steps:
    • First release should be in a couple weeks (when pending CQs will have been resolved)

Paho - Andy

  • MQTT implementations in Java, JS, Python, C, C++, Objective-C, Lua, Go
  • Objective-C has just passed parallel IP
  • Standardization work at OASIS – to be concluded in the next few months
  • The teams works closely with the Mosquitto project
    • Mosquitto is an MQTT broker
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Paho intends to join Luna and release C and Java clients, probably JS

OM2M - Mahdi & Thierry

  • OM2M is an open-source Java implementation of the ETSI M2M standard
  • Service capability layer for device, gateway, and network
  • RESTful design to enhance interop
  • HTTP (Thinking about integrating CoAP and MQTT protocols).
  • OSGi-fication using Equinox, build using Maven Tycho
  • Status and Next steps:
    • Trademark review pending, next step will be to schedule a creation review

Collaboration between projects

  • Andy: would that make sense to have kind of a cross-projects mailing-list?
    • Ian suggests to start with the m2m-iwg mailing-list for now
  • Ian: is there a need for a build infrastructure for e.g building for the Raspberry Pi
    • Jens: yes! building for Windows is also a requirement for EclipseSCADA
    • Marco: would be great to have ready-to-use binaries for popular open-hw platforms
  • Ian suggests to open bugs for capturing requirements from the projects about build infrastructure and the like
  • Mattias: it would be great if the m2m.eclipse.org website would feature a more visual representation of how the projects are working/connected with each other
  • IoT day - April 9th
    • Idea would be to have a one-day webinar
      • If projects have resources they would like to feature, this would be a great opportunity
      • ACTION: Benjamin and Ian to put together a more formal plan about this event
  • Ian reminds project leaders that if they need help with creating a logo for their projects, he can assist
  • Ian: it would be great if by the end of 2014 this group would be able to provide a "ready-to-use" platform for IoT

January 14, 2014

Agenda

Participants

  • Marco Carrer
  • Ian Skerrett
  • Benjamin Cabé

Events

  • Discussion on potential events
    • Eurotech will present Kura during IoT Day in Grenoble
    • Marco will see if Eurotech ppl from London are interested in attending FOSDEM in Brussels Feb 1-2.

Project leads sync call

  • Benjamin and Ian will coordinate with project leads to invite them to the call in two weeks time to share progress and experiences with the Eclipse process

Archives

2013

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2013 Archives

2012

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2012 Archives

2011

Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives