Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes"

< IoT
(Archives)
 
(129 intermediate revisions by 9 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
The Machine-to-Machine Industry Working Group is holding weekly calls on Tuesday at 9amET.<br>Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public.  
+
{| align="right"
 +
| <googlecalendar title="IoT WG Meeting" mode="AGENDA" height="300" width="100%">u5j68s710reqmr37vd78jdlbm4%40group.calendar.google.com</googlecalendar>
 +
|}
 +
The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding bi-weekly calls on Wednesdays, at 12pm ET.<br>
 +
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public. We alternate between marketing-focused calls (upcoming events coordination, community outreach, etc.), and technical calls mostly targeting project leads, to synchronize cross-project activities.
  
The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are as follows (if possible, please used caller paid numbers)  
+
The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are shown below (if possible, please used caller paid numbers). There are a few local / toll-free dial in numbers, but you may want to setup a [https://wiki.eclipse.org/Asterisk#SIP SIP client] on your computer if possible.
  
*Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
+
* North America 1-866-569-4992
*North America (toll free) 1-877-369-7806
+
* Germany 49-692-2224-6059
*Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) 49-692-2224-6059  
+
* France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
*France (local call anywhere in France) 33-17-070-8535  
+
* UK 0800-033-7806
*UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
+
* Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
 +
* Sweden 46-85-063-8386
 +
* Italy 003-902-3604-8268
  
Participant conference extension: 427, then enter pin 1156
+
Participant conference extension: 713, then enter pin 68764
  
*SIP clients can call 427@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 1156.
+
SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.
  
= Apr 2, 2013 (proposed agenda)=
 
* EclipseCon feedback (M2M sessions, F2F meeting)
 
* M3DA/MQTT convergence
 
* EclipseCon France
 
  
 +
= Feb 3, 2016 (PMC Call) =
  
<br>
+
== Participants ==
= Feb 19, 2013 (proposed agenda)=
+
* Starting API Work.
+
* MqGnatt contribution
+
  
<br>
+
* Julien
<br>
+
* Jens
= Feb 12, 2013=
+
* Benjamin
* There is general consensus that the Continua sequence diagrams can serve as starting point for REST mapping and API work. We will look for means to get that work going in one or more of the projects, on the next call.  Axeda's work on the scenarios will factor into this as well.
+
* Ian
* Arlen is still intending to contribute McGnatt. It could  as a "best practices implementation" in combination with some new documentation.
+
* Mahdi
* Possible Webinars
+
* Ian C
** It was proposed that a whitepaper and/or webinar on Device Management/Provisioning with respect to the Eclipse work, would be of value.  Mats will look further into this.
+
* Virgil
** A security webinar to outline and discuss security solutions in end-to-end M2M application development
+
* Guillaume
* An introduction to the Lua MQTT client, and the platforms and applications it is being used on.   
+
<br>
+
<br>
+
  
= Feb 5, 2013=
 
== Attendees  ==
 
*Mats Samuelsson, Axeda
 
*Patrick Dempsey, Band XI
 
*Hilary Tomasson, Eurotech
 
*Scott de Deugd, IBM
 
==Continuation: discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda==
 
* Scott gave update on OASIS TC. Last date to join the TC is March 18th.
 
* There was some feedback from review of Continua Sequence Diagrams that it looks like useful input to the API work. No next steps were agreed to but we will revisit this again after Phil and Mats have the opportunity to update the Scenarios and Problems.
 
* Discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda but not covered last week.
 
**Lua: Axeda would like to contribute to Lua Client. Scott suggested their project lead call into the bi-weekly Paho calls for an introduction to Andy Gelme.
 
**Best Practices: There still are no volunteers for such a document but Mats said Axeda is interested in taking a lead to get this moving. There was some discussion of integration this with the pending MqGnatt contribution from Cirrus Link so we will discuss again when Arlen can make the cal.
 
* Ian pointed out a potential new contributions from m2m.io (https://twitter.com/kylemroche/status/297462594699157505). It looks that discussion has moved to the MQTT Google Group.
 
<br>
 
  
= Jan 29, 2013 =
+
== Agenda ==
== Attendees  ==
+
*Mats Samuelsson, Axeda
+
*Phil Lombardi, Axeda
+
*Joe Biron, Axeda
+
*Patrick Dempsey, Band XI
+
*Arlen Nipper, Paho
+
*Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless
+
*Scott de Deugd, IBM
+
==Discussion of MQTT related topics raised by Axeda==
+
*''High level positioning of the MQTT protocol'' (e.g. "long haul" networks). Scott and Arlen gave a brief overview of the discussion the OASIS C charter which led to describing a number of characteristics of MQTT and network topographies it is designed for. While it is well suited for wireless/constrained networks between an M2M gateway/edge and an enterprise type server, we probably want to avoid precluding its uses there, or in other network topologies. The IWG should pursue this as the topic of a white paper and it will be discussed again around MQTT-s (see note below)
+
*''Client ID:
+
**The behavior to disconnect existing clients if a client connects to the broker with the same client ID is not ideal. It would be nice if the protocol specified that the broker should auto-assign an unused client ID. Perhaps this could be an option sent in one of the header fields?
+
**It would be great if the client ID could hold at a minimum a UUID length of characters.''
+
**It was not clear that this needs to be part of the MQTT protocol Axeda will work this into a requirement set so that the IWG can understand the problem and work on a recommend solution in the Eclipse projects. Phil will take a look at the existing M2M use cases in the form of [http://wiki.eclipse.org/Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/M2M_Scenarios Scenarios and Problems], to see if they can be modified to include the situations Axeda anticipates. 
+
*''MQTT-S: The community needs a public reference implementation of MQTT-S. When we performed our research on MQTT around October of 2012 we were unable to find any public implementations of MQTT-S. I remember seeing that the reason for this is that there are legal issues surrounding the MQTT-S spec somewhere on the MQTT Google Group.''
+
**Scott gave an overview of the OASIS Standardization effort and how it is positioned with Paho. Community feedback so far is that MQTT-S is important, yet out of scope of the OASIS Technical Committee. It is withing the scope of Paho and agreed to take this discussion outside the IWG calls to develop a recommendation.
+
*The remaining topics brought up were deferred to a future call.
+
<br>
+
----------------------------------------
+
  
= Archives =
+
* '''Review IoT WG Strategy for 2016'''. Based on the wiki page at [1], it would be great to get your input as to what should be the priorities for this year from a PMC standpoint. Feel free to annotate the wiki page or provide feedback on the mailing list ahead of the call.
== 2012 ==
+
* '''Project plans'''. What is your project's roadmap for 2016? Let's try and identify possible areas of collaboration between projects, needs in terms of community outreach, and in general make sure that each project's agenda is duly publicized. 
 +
* '''IoT Summit'''. Review agenda for the unconference and overall IoT activities at EclipseCon NA.
 +
* '''IoT Developer Survey'''. Review final draft.
  
[[Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2012 Archives]]
+
== IoT Strategy ==
  
== 2011 ==
+
* Recruiting projects: we need to recruit projects with '''existing communities'''
 +
* LoRaWAN? Concerns about IP/openness.
 +
 
 +
* Just like we have CQs to identify "legal" and "licensing" issues, EF could provide a service to '''provide security analysis for Eclipse IoT projects'''
 +
** an issue might be that most of the tools available out there are commercial/proprietary tools
 +
 
 +
* Other communities/projects we may want to reach out to:
 +
** openMUC.org - smart grid / smart home. C/C++ based. Involved with Fraunhofer ISE institute
 +
** HyperCAT
 +
 
 +
* Should we update iot.eclipse.org website with more "generic" IoT content?
 +
** No consensus on that point
 +
 
 +
* Do we want to have a common IoT download page?
 +
** No consensus on that point
 +
 
 +
* Have each projects produce a getting started that can be featured on EclipseIoT. Use a common format/script – EF/Benjamin to provide guidance.
 +
 
 +
* Jens Reimann to provide some input regarding using Mattermost for helping project collaboration (e.g one single entry point to forums, twitter, IRC channels, etc of your project)
 +
 
 +
== Project plans ==
 +
 
 +
* Project metadata: the value you get out of it is pretty low (it's hard to visually parse it).
 +
* On iot.eclipse.org/projects, can we try to add a quick "CONTACT the project" button and a glance at the PROJECT PLAN?
 +
** problem is many projects don't have up-to-date metadata in the first place!
 +
 
 +
* There seems to be an agreement that best way to get an update on a project roadmap is to get in touch with the project team. EF expresses concerns about the fact that it does not really scale up, and "pushing" the information such as next release date and scope to your community is often very valuable.
 +
 
 +
== EclipseCon ==
 +
 
 +
* The WG will have a F2F meeting to discuss project updates and overall roadmap.
 +
 
 +
== Developer Survey ==
 +
 
 +
* Ian is finalizing the questions for the IoT Developer Survey 2016 that will be done in collaboration with AGILE European Project and IEEE.
 +
 
 +
 
 +
----------------------------------------
 +
 
 +
= Archives =
  
[[Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives]]
+
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2015 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2014 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2013 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2012 Archives]]
 +
* [[IoT/M2MIWG/Weekly call minutes/2011 Archives]]

Latest revision as of 13:19, 3 February 2016

The Internet of Things Industry Working Group is holding bi-weekly calls on Wednesdays, at 12pm ET.
Participation to these calls is restricted to members of the IWG, but the minutes are public. We alternate between marketing-focused calls (upcoming events coordination, community outreach, etc.), and technical calls mostly targeting project leads, to synchronize cross-project activities.

The meetings are held via teleconference. The regular call-in numbers are shown below (if possible, please used caller paid numbers). There are a few local / toll-free dial in numbers, but you may want to setup a SIP client on your computer if possible.

  • North America 1-866-569-4992
  • Germany 49-692-2224-6059
  • France 33-(0)-17-070-8535
  • UK 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland 41-44-580-2115
  • Sweden 46-85-063-8386
  • Italy 003-902-3604-8268

Participant conference extension: 713, then enter pin 68764

SIP clients can call 713@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 68764.


Feb 3, 2016 (PMC Call)

Participants

  • Julien
  • Jens
  • Benjamin
  • Ian
  • Mahdi
  • Ian C
  • Virgil
  • Guillaume


Agenda

  • Review IoT WG Strategy for 2016. Based on the wiki page at [1], it would be great to get your input as to what should be the priorities for this year from a PMC standpoint. Feel free to annotate the wiki page or provide feedback on the mailing list ahead of the call.
  • Project plans. What is your project's roadmap for 2016? Let's try and identify possible areas of collaboration between projects, needs in terms of community outreach, and in general make sure that each project's agenda is duly publicized.
  • IoT Summit. Review agenda for the unconference and overall IoT activities at EclipseCon NA.
  • IoT Developer Survey. Review final draft.

IoT Strategy

  • Recruiting projects: we need to recruit projects with existing communities
  • LoRaWAN? Concerns about IP/openness.
  • Just like we have CQs to identify "legal" and "licensing" issues, EF could provide a service to provide security analysis for Eclipse IoT projects
    • an issue might be that most of the tools available out there are commercial/proprietary tools
  • Other communities/projects we may want to reach out to:
    • openMUC.org - smart grid / smart home. C/C++ based. Involved with Fraunhofer ISE institute
    • HyperCAT
  • Should we update iot.eclipse.org website with more "generic" IoT content?
    • No consensus on that point
  • Do we want to have a common IoT download page?
    • No consensus on that point
  • Have each projects produce a getting started that can be featured on EclipseIoT. Use a common format/script – EF/Benjamin to provide guidance.
  • Jens Reimann to provide some input regarding using Mattermost for helping project collaboration (e.g one single entry point to forums, twitter, IRC channels, etc of your project)

Project plans

  • Project metadata: the value you get out of it is pretty low (it's hard to visually parse it).
  • On iot.eclipse.org/projects, can we try to add a quick "CONTACT the project" button and a glance at the PROJECT PLAN?
    • problem is many projects don't have up-to-date metadata in the first place!
  • There seems to be an agreement that best way to get an update on a project roadmap is to get in touch with the project team. EF expresses concerns about the fact that it does not really scale up, and "pushing" the information such as next release date and scope to your community is often very valuable.

EclipseCon

  • The WG will have a F2F meeting to discuss project updates and overall roadmap.

Developer Survey

  • Ian is finalizing the questions for the IoT Developer Survey 2016 that will be done in collaboration with AGILE European Project and IEEE.



Archives