Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "IoT/Face-2-Face-Meeting-Mar29"

< IoT
m
Line 125: Line 125:
 
**It will be very important for the Hackerplace configurations and samples to support real hardware (e.g Arduino and other platforms). IWG should take this task on for 2012  
 
**It will be very important for the Hackerplace configurations and samples to support real hardware (e.g Arduino and other platforms). IWG should take this task on for 2012  
 
*'''Next steps''' (We did not have time to list these. Scott to put this on the Wiki for discussion on future calls)
 
*'''Next steps''' (We did not have time to list these. Scott to put this on the Wiki for discussion on future calls)
 +
 +
<br>
 +
 +
=== Next Steps and Followups ===
 +
 +
As there was not sufficient time to review the Next Steps and ToDo items at the F2F Meeting, they were reviewed on the April 3rd IWG call and are summarized below.
 +
 +
 +
*Followup with Wes and Marco to help size the nature and effort that they can expect with their contributions (Ian)
 +
*Check on status of Chad Kienle's Committer questionnaire. (Scott)
 +
*Develop a draft Marchitecture presentation and distribute to IWG. A vision statement will follow (Hilary, Benjamin)
 +
*Add a scoping statement to the Scenarios Section to focus initial work on bridging physical world systems to IT and Web systems. (Scott)
 +
*With format no generally agreed upon, additional scenarios are needed. (James, Arlen, Scott)
 +
*Add an inventory of protocols relevant to M2M and IoT as input to future IWG work. HTTP2 should be considered or positioned. (Arlen)
 +
*Paho should add MQTTs (messaging at control network level) to its scope for consideration as future support.  (Scott)
 +
*Need scenario to identify requirements for a level of coupling/decoupling between the transport protocols and payload specifications. (Arlen)
 +
*Better definition of Hackerplace
 +
**Should encompass sandbox server runtime environment, getting started, and developer portal (Andy, Scott)
 +
**Needs and end-to-end use case to pull together components and sample applications with the sandbox server support (Wes)
 +
*IWG should set goal for an Eclipse M2M package with all components included/integrated – 2013 timeframe, 15-18 months. (all)
 +
*Paho items
 +
**Current committers asked to promote and encourage use and discussion on the mailing list and Bugzilla. (Scott)
 +
** Start process for new Contributors. Andy Gelme, Andy Piper, Arlen Nipper. (Scott)
 +
**Clean up links, pages and add project plan for website on eclipse.org (Scott)
 +
**Point clients to M2M sandbox server instead of local host
 +
*Need to start work on a high level architecture for a device simulator framework. Suggestion is to start with a “tool developers” scenario to drive this. (Benjamin, Marco/Wes)
 +
*Need outline of the M2M IWG promotion/communication plan. Add to M2M wiki (Ian)

Revision as of 20:13, 24 April 2012

Face to Face Meeting

Date: March 29, 2012

Time: 10am - 1pm EST

Location: Hyatt Regency, room Fairfax B - Reston, VA.

There will also be an M2M BoF session on Wednesday at 8.30, in Lake Thoreau.

Attendees

NOTE: Attendance is open to individuals that are members of the M2M Industry Working Group and invited guests.

Members

  1. Mike Milinkovich, Eclipse Foundation, @mmilinkov
  2. Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation, @ianskerrett
  3. Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless, @kartben
  4. Gaétan Morice, Sierra Wireless, @gmorice
  5. Kevin Lloyd, Sierra Wireless
  6. Scott de Deugd, IBM
  7. James Branigan, Band XI International
  8. Patrick Dempsey, Band XI International
  9. Andy Piper, mqtt.org @andypiper
  10. Marco Carrer, Eurotech
  11. Pat Huff, IBM
  12. Wes Johnson, Eurotech
  13. Hilary Tomasson, Eurotech


Guests

  1. Rick Bullotta, Thingworx (Tentative)


Agenda

  • Introductions
  • Roadmap and Deliverables
    • M2M IWG Updates and Status
      • Meta Model
      • Scenarios/UseCases
      • Vision Statement (discussion from first F2F)
      • Update on M2M Sandbox
    • Project Updates and Status
      • Koneki (Benjamin)
      • Paho (Marco, Scott)
      • Developer Portal (Andy)
      • 2012 focus on "User Experience" (discussion)
    • Open M2M Promotion
      • Joint Marketing, PR, Publicizing
  • Additional Items, Next Steps, and Adjourn


Presentation

This is the presentation used at the March 29th Face-to-Face meeting.



Minutes

ATTENDING

  1. Ian Skerrett, Eclipse Foundation
  2. Benjamin Cabé, Sierra Wireless
  3. Gaétan Morice, Sierra Wireless
  4. Kevin Lloyd, Sierra Wireless
  5. Scott de Deugd, IBM
  6. James Branigan, Band XI International
  7. Patrick Dempsey, Band XI International
  8. Andy Piper, mqtt.org
  9. Marco Carrer, Eurotech
  10. Hilary Tomasson, Eurotech
  11. Wes Johnson, Eurotech
  12. Pat Huff, IBM

Here are links to Agenda and the draft presentation for the March 29th Face-to-Face meeting.


  • M2M IWG Updates and Status
    • There was a discussion about communicating the vision, high level architecture and target solutions/markets of the Working Group. While there seems to be a consensus on this from the initial IWG members, it also is important to formalize this and to document the vision for broader feedback and participation. Agreement was that this could best be started by creating an initial draft of and M2M/IoT Marchitecture presentation, and that a vision statement should fallout in parallel while doing that work. Benjamin Cabé and Hilary Tomasson agreed to create a draft Marchitecture proposal for review.
    • Scenarios: There was general agreement on current format and level of the Scenarios and Problems proposed on the M2M IWG Wiki. Some next steps were suggested in order to scope the work and to ensure it serves well as input to the initial M2M IWG Architecture:
      • Benjamin suggested that the Scenarios and Problems need to follow a consistent Wiki template and offered to create one.
      • Scope: The Scenario work should initially be scoped to focus on requirements at “bridging”, or boundaries between the physical world systems (e.g. via gateways, controllers, devices) and the Enterprise, IT and Web systems (e.g. via M2M, monitoring servers). Another suggestion was to focus on requirements and scenarios that are representative of existing problems and inhibitors commonly encountered today, and to avoid “inventing”. Scott agreed to add this scoping to Scenario section of the Wiki.
      • The Q2 objective for the IWG is to start adding scenarios and related problems. Interested authors are encouraged to first float the general scenario on the mailing list to get some feedback on how well they fit into the initial scoping and objectives. James and Scott had some scenarios in mind and it was also mentioned that Arlen Nipper was interested in submitting scenarios representative of industry examples he has encountered.
      • A brief discussion pointed out that some scenarios will likely reflect constraints of the sensors and sensor networks because, even though Enterprise and Web developers are not programming directly to those interfaces, the nature of the networks and methods to read and control devices will “show through”. As a side note here, a request was made to add MQTT-s support as a Paho consideration.
      • It was generally agreed that, independent of the scenario work, that there are existing protocols that need to be described and positioned within the IWG and Project requirements. Although Arlen Nipper was not present, Scott noted that Arlen was working on a white paper survey of key protocols for M2M and IoT. A request was made that HTTP2 be included in this.
      • A point was raised that it may become important to also include payload specifications in the protocols. It was also pointed out that there is value in maintaining transport protocols that are payload agonistic given all of the variables and constraints inherent to M2M devices and networks. There was general agreement that these requirements should be driven by a scenario that can address the need for payload specifications, without binding M2M and IoT applications unnecessarily to the device specifics.
      • A scenario is needed to identify requirements for some level of discovery, which takes into account the constraints inherent to M2M and IoT.
      • Eurotech and Sierra Wireless agreed to identify a tool developer’s level scenario to that can help identify a framework that would support multiple device simulators. The initial pass should be to identify the “layers” needed.
    • M2M Sandbox and Hackerplace
      • The Mosquitto server is up, running, and being used with test applications. There was a request for some basic documentation on how to get started and also some documentation on how to find what is already set up and running there.
      • There was an observation that the M2M IWG should better describe/position “Hackerplace”, “Sandbox” and upcoming “Developer Portal”. It was recommended that “Hackerplace” become a single point for support in using and testing the M2M Eclipse components/projects. Initially, Hackerplace will be composed of the Sandbox server runtime, and the Developer portal entry-point to get started installing, using and configuring the components.
      • Wes and Benjamin agreed to define an end-to-end use case that will serve as the “getting started” example.
      • It was suggested that IWG look further to see how the Eclipse Packaging Project (EPP) could be used to pull together all of the Koneki, Paho, frameworks, and, sample/example components to create an entry level download into the Eclipse IDE.
  • Project Updates and Status
    • Koneki
      • Koneki is targeted for inclusion in Juno release.
      • Koneki demonstration provided by Benjamin including work in progress for next release
      • Benjamin indicates that the OMA-DM simulation user guide includes a tutorial on how to setup a Funambol OMA-DM Server on a linux distribution in order to connect the simulator to.
      • Koneki bandwidth estimator was demonstrated and there was a discussion about how it is being extended for MQTT.
      • Device Simulator was demonstrated. A goal of Koneki is to ensure that it will work with any protocol. There was a brief discussion about the challenges in doing this with MQTT as one example.
    • Paho
      • Committers are requested to use Mailing List and Bugzilla to generate and followup on interest.
      • Andy Piper updated the group on interest from Andy Gelme to contribute Lua MQTT client. Scott and Ian will follow-up.
      • Andy Piper and Arlen Nipper have requested we get process moving so they can contribute to project code.
      • Eurotech has goal to make initial commit of Client View Tool by end of April. As new committer, Wes and Marco are interested in better understanding the extent work they should expectin the project. Ian offered to follow-up with them.
      • Paho deliverables boca/arrow chart needs updating and to reflect coming contributions and the Project page should have Plan section.
  • Open M2M Promotion
    • Andy Piper feels he can keep a level of technical drumbeat going. IWG should work on more participation and coordination.
    • Rough target of Q3 release/availability that contains significant “new news” since the November press releases. E.g. New levels of Koneki function and integration, Paho availability, end-to-end use case in Hackerplace, Eclipse IDE integration.
    • Ian will outline a communication plan centered around a coordinated Q3 release/availability. Pat Huff will work with Ian on opportunities to integrate this with IBM Eclipse communications. Ian has previous PR contacts involved in November announcements.
    • One goal of plans and communication should be to reach out to telco and providers of M2M/IoT platforms.
    • Commincations should line up with discussion, interest and feedback from drumbeat in technology blogs and social media.
    • Invitation to members to create an M2M thread/theme at 2012 Eclipse Demo Camps. All are invited to sponsor one near them. e.g. IBM (London), Eurotech (Boston)and Sierra Wireless (San Francisco). Ian is the contact for this.
    • Need to identify M2M industry events to promote Eclipse IWG and Projects.
  • Other Items
    • It will be very important for the Hackerplace configurations and samples to support real hardware (e.g Arduino and other platforms). IWG should take this task on for 2012
  • Next steps (We did not have time to list these. Scott to put this on the Wiki for discussion on future calls)


Next Steps and Followups

As there was not sufficient time to review the Next Steps and ToDo items at the F2F Meeting, they were reviewed on the April 3rd IWG call and are summarized below.


  • Followup with Wes and Marco to help size the nature and effort that they can expect with their contributions (Ian)
  • Check on status of Chad Kienle's Committer questionnaire. (Scott)
  • Develop a draft Marchitecture presentation and distribute to IWG. A vision statement will follow (Hilary, Benjamin)
  • Add a scoping statement to the Scenarios Section to focus initial work on bridging physical world systems to IT and Web systems. (Scott)
  • With format no generally agreed upon, additional scenarios are needed. (James, Arlen, Scott)
  • Add an inventory of protocols relevant to M2M and IoT as input to future IWG work. HTTP2 should be considered or positioned. (Arlen)
  • Paho should add MQTTs (messaging at control network level) to its scope for consideration as future support. (Scott)
  • Need scenario to identify requirements for a level of coupling/decoupling between the transport protocols and payload specifications. (Arlen)
  • Better definition of Hackerplace
    • Should encompass sandbox server runtime environment, getting started, and developer portal (Andy, Scott)
    • Needs and end-to-end use case to pull together components and sample applications with the sandbox server support (Wes)
  • IWG should set goal for an Eclipse M2M package with all components included/integrated – 2013 timeframe, 15-18 months. (all)
  • Paho items
    • Current committers asked to promote and encourage use and discussion on the mailing list and Bugzilla. (Scott)
    • Start process for new Contributors. Andy Gelme, Andy Piper, Arlen Nipper. (Scott)
    • Clean up links, pages and add project plan for website on eclipse.org (Scott)
    • Point clients to M2M sandbox server instead of local host
  • Need to start work on a high level architecture for a device simulator framework. Suggestion is to start with a “tool developers” scenario to drive this. (Benjamin, Marco/Wes)
  • Need outline of the M2M IWG promotion/communication plan. Add to M2M wiki (Ian)