This is an initial landing page for the Location Industry Working Group (IWG) at Eclipse. A proper web site will replace this page in the near future.
- 1 LocationTech Industry Working Group
LocationTech Industry Working Group
LocationTech will be the leading community for individuals and organizations to collaborate on commercially-friendly open source software that is location aware.
The IWG is currently forming and is expected to formally launch Q3-2012. This date may change due to strong interest.
This group exists to enable a partnership of organizations to invest in and benefit from:
- High quality re-usable software components that are IP-clean and serve as reference implementation of standards
- B2B forum of technology consumers and providers
- Growing user communities and outreach
- Growing developer communities
- Growing research communities and encouraging innovation
- Growing business communities and markets
- Drive increased adoption of location technology, and interoperability
- Nurture a vibrant ecosystem for the above communities
- A software forge & build farm including discussion forums and mailing lists
- Location aware open source technology projects
- A platform, released annually, providing reusable, modular, and "IP Clean" software components
- Joint marketing materials, and events
See the frequently asked questions page for more useful information
See the Draft Charter for more useful information including dues.
Participate in the Discussions
Participate in IWG calls (see the Roadmap below for call dates and times)
IRC live chat
Using your IRC client of choice, you can join the Internet Relay Chat live chat forum by joining #locationtech on Freenode.
(simply make up a nickname, complete the captcha, and then click connect)
Edit this wiki
Register for an Eclipse account and contribute to this wiki page
If you know others that would be interested, invite them to this page and the discussion list.
Areas of Interest
- Storage and processing of massive data volume
- Model driven design
- Desktop, Web, and mobile mapping
- Real time analysis of business critical data
One product of this IWG will be new projects. See a guide on creating a new project.
The LocationTech IWG will provide a forge (code repository, bug tracker, build farm, etc.) for related technology. The following are projects that are interested in hosting in this facility.
- uDig - - A Desktop GIS suite & component framework
- Jackpine - a geospatial database benchmarking suite
- GeoScript - project adding spatial capabilities to scripting languages
- GeoAPI - GeoAPI is an abstraction library for related Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) and ISO standards
- Nunaliit - A web based framework that makes it easy to tell stories and highlight relationships between many different forms of information from a variety of sources
We are interested in new projects. If you have some R&D that would benefit from more eyes & developers to advance it, or some useful technology you need to have but it isn't a source of competitive advantage, consider releasing it.
The following is tentative roadmap.
- Inaugural conference call - Completed, Took place March 22, 2012
- Conference call - Completed, Took place April 17
- Conference call - Completed, Took place April 19
- Face to face meeting - Completed, Took place May 22 in Washington D.C.
- Create IWG Charter - Completed, posted May 2012
- Identify inaugural chair - Completed, representatives from IBM & Oracle, May 2012
- Board resolutions giving approval - Completed with unanimous approval June 19th, 2012
- Pick a name - Completed June 22, 2012
- Identify initial projects for launch - In progress, anticipated for June & July 2012
- Identify initiating member(s) - In progress, anticipated for July & August 2012
- Press release draft iterated amongst launching members - Anticipated for August 2012
- Formal Launch - September 2012