This is an initial landing page for the Location Industry Working Group (IWG) at Eclipse. A proper web site will replace this page in the near future.
LocationTech Industry Working Group
The LocationTech Industry Working Group (IWG) is a partnership between organizations with a strong interest in location technologies.
Location technology is technology for tracking, analysing, and visualizing data expressing relative location measured in some dimensions.
The IWG is currently forming and is expected to formally launch Q3-2012. This date may change due to strong interest.
This group exists to enable organizations to invest in and benefit from open source Location technologies.
- Growing user communities and outreach
- Growing developer communities
- Growing research communities and encouraging innovation
- Growing business communities and markets
- Drive increased adoption of location technology, and interoperability
- Nurture a vibrant ecosystem for the above communities
- A software forge & build farm including discussion forums and mailing lists
- Location aware open source technology projects
- A platform, released annually, providing reusable, modular, and "IP Clean" software components
- Joint marketing materials, and events
See the frequently asked questions page for more useful information
See the Draft Charter for more useful information including dues.
Participate in the Discussions
Participate in IWG calls (see the Roadmap below for call dates and times)
IRC live chat
Using your IRC client of choice, you can join the Internet Relay Chat live chat forum by joining #locationtech on Freenode.
(simply make up a nickname, complete the captcha, and then click connect)
Edit this wiki
Register for an Eclipse account and contribute to this wiki page
If you know others that would be interested, invite them to this page and the discussion list.
Areas of Interest
- Main stream adoption of location-aware technologies
- Software/libraries for mobile and web based applications/services
- Software/libraries for processing big data/ very high performance location data processing
- Geocoding and routing
- Model driven design and especially Building Information Modelling (BIM)
- Evolution of the spatial database
- Data exchange standards
One product of this IWG will be new projects. See a guide on creating a new project.
The LocationTech IWG will provide a forge (code repository, bug tracker, build farm, etc.) for related technology. The following are projects that plan to host in this facility.
- uDig - A GIS Framework for Eclipse
- Jackpine - a geospatial database benchmarking suite
- GeoScript - project adding spatial capabilities to scripting languages
We are interested in new projects. If you have some R&D that would benefit from more eyes & developers to advance it, or some useful technology you need to have but it isn't a source of competitive advantage, consider releasing it.
The following is tentative roadmap.
- Inaugural conference call - Completed, Took place March 22, 2012
- Conference call - Completed, Took place April 17
- Conference call - Completed, Took place April 19
- Face to face meeting - Completed, Took place May 22 in Washington D.C.
- Create IWG Charter - Completed, posted May 2012
- Identify inaugural chair - Completed, representatives from IBM & Oracle, May 2012
- Board resolutions giving approval - Completed with unanimous approval June 19th, 2012
- Pick a name - Completed June 22, 2012
- Identify initial projects for launch - In progress, anticipated for June & July 2012
- Identify initiating member(s) - In progress, anticipated for June & July 2012
- Press release draft iterated amongst launching members - Anticipated for July 2012
- Formal Launch - August 2012