Links and Buttons
This is basic content only. Please convert to the Template file for adding to the UI Best Practices and fill in more complete information.
Primary & secondary commands (within same page)
Use command buttons for:
- Primary actions, such as Print in a print dialog
- Secondary commands where it make sense to use a button instead of a link, such in a group of buttons where primary actions are shown first, and the secondary command follows
Use links for:
- Navigation to another page, window, or Help topic
- Secondary actions, such as in dialogs or wizards (a button or link could be used; consider other factors noted here). This is a visual affordance that de-emphasizes secondary commands.
- Long text strings, consisting of 5 or more words, look less awkward as links than as command buttons, whether for actions or navigation
- Commands embedded in a body of text, as in forms
- Command is part of a menu or group of related links
Other factors that influence use of a link or a command button:
- Visual affordance
- Consider using links to deemphasize secondary commands
- Context is relevant whether is primary or secondary, e.g. print in print dialog is primary (use Command Button), whereas print in web page is secondary (use Link)
- UI environment
- Some actions are available only on demand
Any use cases for Command Links in Eclipse?