Learn About Eclipse
This document provides a starting point for software developer who would like to learn about building products on Eclipse frameworks and APIs.
Most (but not all) technology developed by Eclipse projects are based on the Eclipse Platform. The Eclipse Platform Technical Overview whitepaper provides a good overview of the platform.
Learning about Plug-ins:
- Developing Plug-ins for Eclipse A complete course on Plug-in development.
The Eclipse Rich Client Platform:
Important Eclipse Technology:
- Eclipse Forms: Rich UI for the Rich Client
- Understanding Layouts in SWT
- Taking a look at SWT Images
- Using the Selection Service
- How to Correctly and Uniformly Use Progress Monitors
- Designing Accessible Plug-ins in Eclipse
- The Examples Project Examples of Eclipse technology in action.
- The Official Eclipse FAQs
- SWT Snippets Bits of code demonstrating how to use the Standard Widget Toolkit.
Perhaps the best way to learn about Eclipse is to ask questions. If you're not sure about where to ask a question, try the "New Comer" forum. Note that you'll have to create an account to contribute to the forum (you don't need an account to browse).
There is also a very large Eclipse contingent on Stack Overflow; tag your question with "eclipse".
This page is moderated by the EMO.