Difference between revisions of "LongTermSupport"
|Line 26:||Line 26:|
LTS the value
access to you
for a ,
Revision as of 14:04, 16 March 2012
- 1 Long Term Support
- 2 Contact information
- 3 Information archive
- 4 Action Tracker
Long Term Support
- Enable organisations to collaborate when providing support and maintenance for Eclipse technologies
- Enable support and maintenance of Eclipse technologies for Long Term (years) and Very Long Term (decades) durations.
- Develop a business model to support the Long Term Support (LTS) Industry Working Group (IWG) at Eclipse
- Actively recruit member organizations to create, nurture, and grow an ecosystem of maintenance and support providing and consuming organizations.
- Design, implement, and operate a LTS software development forge
- Enable and support the directives assigned by the LTS IWG Steering Committee
- Meeting @ EclipseCon, Wednesday March 28, 14:00 to 16:00 Eastern. This session will be in Reston Suites A, on the second floor.
A draft copy of the charter for the LTS program is now available.
LTS Ready Project Definition
In order to be included as part of Long Term Support, a project must be compliant with the LTS Readiness Definition
LTS members can benefit from the following value:
- Benefit from fixes made by other organizations, so you don't have to fix everything yourself
- Leverage binaries built by others
- Leverage code with the latest & greatest fixes
- Use the Eclipse Foundation LTS facilities... no need to maintain your own
- Code repository
- Bug tracker
- Continuous integration server
- Build farm
- Membership enables you to hire or contract maintenance committers
- Their access is tied to employment with you
- No waiting for a committer election, access is immediate
- Flexibility to hire/contract developers in lower-cost geographies
- On-demand responsiveness
- Add company-specific fixes 24x7 on your schedule
- Builds on demand
There are 3 levels of participation in the LTS IWG:
- Steering Committee, who control the budget, resources, and direction
- Premium, who have access to a rich software production forge including build farm, code repositories, bug tracking system, and more.
- Participating, who have access to the downloads site and LTS/VLTS binaries.
All LTS IWG members can participate in meetings. There may be special Steering Committee only meetings.
The public are welcomed and encouraged to participate on the LTS IWG mailing list.
Eclipse Foundation's role
The Foundation is not a service provider. Rather it works to connect organizations seeking support for Eclipse software with those offering it in order to cultivate a vibrant ecosystem.
In order to help service providers be more efficient and effective, the Eclipse Foundation will provide the infrastructure for the code repositories, bug trackers, build farms, test farms, software signing, intellectual property management, and governance in order to manage the projects. It is the trusted vendor neutral organization doing the drudge-work so that others do not have to.
Join our Discussion list
LTS Bugs in Bugzilla
See a list of Bugs
In time, we will have a steering committee and chair. In the meantime, please contact Andrew Ross - +1 613 614 5772, Skype: rossand2002
Mailing list Archive
Common Build Infrastructure
There is a strong link between this program and the Common Build Infrastructure (CBI). We recognize that the LTS program must support multiple built systems. However, encourage projects to use the CBI to benefit from shared development and expertise in build technologies.
LTS Workshop Walldorf, July 11, 2011: 
- Update Charter based on Feb.2012 business model - Andrew [DONE]
- Project plan/tracking system to tie together the many tickets and work being done - Andrew
- Build LTS awareness via. videos/blogs/webcasts/meetings/etc. - Andrew + Various [Ongoing]