Java Executable Wrapper Plugin for Eclipse
After we written a java application by Eclipse, we should type a command like "java myapp.class" or "javaw -jar myapp.jar" to run our application. Though we can write a .bat file on Windows or write a shell script on Linux to do the job, it feels not very convenience.
The aim of this Google Summer of Code 2007 project is to develop a plugin for Eclipse to wrap compiled Java applications and give out a excutable file. It is supposed to support both Windows and Unix-like Systems.
This plugin will consist of two main parts.
- A editor of ".launcher" files. The ".launcher" files contain the required information to generate a executable launcher.
- A wizard that generates the executable launcher. The wizard can get configuration from users step by step or load it from some ".launcher" configuration files.
- Java Executable Wrapper Plugin (include source codes)
- The documentation of the project including user guides and manuals.
- 1. Initial planning and designing of the project- to be finished by 31st May
- Within this period I should get in touch with the mentor and I will learn how to use Eclipse "platform Launcher". And also I will learn the Eclipse plugin development for the wizard and give out a design description.
- Deliverable(s): Architectural design description
- 2. Implementation of the design – to be finished by 30th of June
- This period will be the main development period when development and debugging will be taken place. At the same time get ready for mid evaluation.
- Deliverables(s):Prototypes and documentation for the mid evaluation.
- 3 .Modifications and samples – to be finished by 1st of July
- This period will be taken to add new features, modify the code for deliverable and to write raw user's manual.
- Deliverable(s) : Samples, improved code and raw user's manual.
- 4. Final code and documentation - to be finished by 1st of August
- During this stage the code would be tested for the production quality codes. Documentation would also be completed for the final evaluation.
- Deliverable(s) : Final plugin and Documentation
The schedule will likely need some modification. ^_^