JWT Automatic Build
- 1 Automatic build of JWT Features and Plugins
Automatic build of JWT Features and Plugins
- General information about building
- Article from Markus Barchfeld about automatic building
- Sample project
What we did
- First, we downloaded CVS support for the command line: [CVS]
- Afterwards, we downloaded PDE Releng:
cvs -d :pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/eclipse export -r HEAD org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder
- We set some system variables, e.g. the ECLIPSE_HOME-variable:
set ECLIPSE_HOME=C:\Programme\Eclipse //adapt to your Eclipse home directory
- And also configured the Build target directory:
set BUILD_HOME=C:\Build\New //adapt to your Build directory
Startup the build process
- Generate a build.xml from the feature using right-click, PDE Build -> Generate Ant Script (this creates a build.xml in the feature directory)
- Go to the directory of the feature: cd ...\jwt-we-feature
java -cp %ECLIPSE_HOME%\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.101.R34x_v20080819.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -application org.eclipse.ant.core.antRunner -buildfile build.xml -Dcomponent=sdk.examples -Dconfigs="*,*,*" -Dbaseos=win32 -Dbasews=win32 -Dbasearch=x86 -Djavacfailonerror=true -Dpde.build.scripts=%ECLIPSE_HOME%/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.4.1.R34x_v20080805/scripts -DbaseLocation=%ECLIPSE_HOME% -DbuildDirectory=&BUILD_HOME%
- This generates the JAR-file of the feature.
What we have
Update sites organisation
First, as it is the case in most of "one feature" projects (such as GEF), JWT now has 3 update sites:
- http://download.eclipse.org/technology/jwt/update-site is the update-site that contains the current release of JWT
- http://download.eclipse.org/technology/jwt/integration-update-site is the update-site the could contain any development or nightly build of JWT. Contents of this update-site should only be used by JWT contributors for testing.
- http://download.eclipse.org/technology/jwt/stable-update-site is the update-site for stable development build, and also for Galileo milestones
Start a build for build.eclipse.org
Anyone who has access to build.eclipse.org can now start a build of cvs HEAD by typing from JWT home folder ./build.sh [buildType] where build type is I (default), S or R, respectively for integration, stable or release build.
This script will start the whole build process and update the update-site for the specified build type.
Start a build on your local machine
If you want to build locally JWT, simply checkout the org.eclipse.jwt/releng CVS module and write a script that starts the build with your local configuration (please do not modify build.sh or build.properties, that are build.eclipse.org files). See build.mistria.openwide.sh for example.
TODO Note that the PDE build process supports unit testing. I've read about several Eclipse projects that used a continuous integration tool (such as cruise, continuum or hudson) to monitor their builds and test results. I'll try to choose if one of these solutions is fine for JWT.