JEE Status Meetings/2011-10-06
Continue discussion where we left off last week
Themes: Improved usability, Improved extension capabilities, Maven(m2e) integration
- Java EE 6 technologies -
- JCDI?, other Java EE 6 technologies not currently covered? - Max brought up this possibility.. Chuck thought SAP could be interested.
- Server Tools / Tomcat adapter improvements
- WTP Tomcat Adapter - problem with m2e-wtp 's war overlays when doing ""Serve modules without publishing"
- WTP Tomcat adapter redeploys entire webapp on class change - what can be done to improve?
- Solve the challenge of there only being Jar, Ear and War support for adapters. If other project/packaging types are introduced *all* servers need to update their logic as it is at the moment. Presents a challenge with for example BPEL project types which have had to introduce their own specific adapter.
- Enhance extension capabilities to flexible component framework
- Improve extensions for component contributions (Ex : ejb-clients jar built on the fly, without the need for a dedicated ejb-client project) (see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=330894)
- Improve components classpath resolution extensibility : Ex: I have a web project, depending on an ejb-client component referencing an ejb project in the workspace. Classpath-wise, the web project should only see the interfaces (and/or some selected classes) from the ejb project.
- EVERY file creation during project facet installation should be optional (Think MANIFEST.MF https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=349575).
- Adding WTP libraries should be optional too : https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=349580
- Improve flexible component framework capabilities
- Need the ability to include/exclude component resources from deployment using ant-like inclusion/exclusion patterns. Currently implemented for overlays in m2e-wtp and JBoss Archive components using URI parameters. https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=163221
- Add naming capability for archiveName for Jars/projects defined in a classpath library (ex: want to export spring-mvc-x.y.z.jar from the maven lib to /web-inf/lib/spring-mvc.jar) : https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=359385
- Current EAR, RAR support in m2e-wtp list all dependencies in .component. That follows Carl's recommendation from (https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=297777). Improvements needed to allow extensible references using custom revolvers.
- Improve usability
- "Web" project / facet consolidation https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=173901 - Konstantin brought up some API policies in WTP that would make such a change very challenging(preserving compatibility)
- WTP tomcat adapter likes to remove deployed jars (from the Maven Classpath library) randomly (https://issues.sonatype.org/browse/MECLIPSEWTP-117)
- Deployed name of an EAR project is ignored during actual deployment : https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=340918
- Micro-optimization : don't call consumedComponent.getRootFolder() twice in FlatVirtualComponent.consumeComponent(...) : https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=359360
- Make sure all projects in WTP (or from adopters) can handle multi-source components correctly (using the defaultRootSource tag newly introduced in SR1)(Fred to open new bugzilla)
- What are the plans for m2e-wtp coming to eclipse? Can we propose an incubating project? - Konstantin and Chuck willing to help create proposal
- WTP meetup at EclipseCon europe ?
- Fred and Max are going. Anyone else ?