JDT weaving features
Starting with version 1.6.2, AJDT will be shipped with the JDT weaving plugin. This plugin uses Equinox Aspects to weave into JDT (more specifically, the org.eclipse.jdt.core, org.eclipse.jdt.ui, and org.eclipse.jdt.debug.core plugins).
This provides an opportunity for deep integration with Eclipse in ways that were not possible before. This release introduces the following features:
- ITD-aware reconciling/eager parsing (in both Java and AJ editors, this means that red squiggles will not appear when referencing ITDs)
- ITD-aware content assist (for now only in *.aj files in AJ editors)
- ITD-aware type hierarchies (for now only super-type hierarchies can be calculated with ITD-awareness)
- Ability to search for aspect elements using standard Java search and Open Java type
For information on how to use the JDT weaving plugin to provide deep integration with plugins and editors for other Java-like languages, see JDT weaving implementation.
Weaving AJDT is only available for Eclipse 3.4. Use the standard AJDT 1.6 development update site:
Installing from this update site will automatically install Equinox Aspects from a separate update site. Additionally, the install will update your config.ini file to allow the weaving service to be enabled at startup.
Due to Bug 257178, it is currently only possible to install Weaving AJDT in the same directory that Eclipse itself is installed in.
Actually, this only applies to Equinox Aspects. If you cannot install in the eclipse directory or want to install manually (i.e., from a zip file and not from an update site), see below.
To do a manual install, first install Equinox Aspects (see below) and then download the desired zip file of AJDT from the downloads page and unzip into your eclipse dropins folder.
These zips do not include Equinox Aspects, which is required for the weaving to be installed. There are two ways to install Equinox Aspects: from the update site, or manually.
Installing Equinox Aspects from the update site
The Equinox Aspects is temporarily available here:
in the future, the update site will be moved to the Equinox name space.
Installing Equinox Aspects manually
- Download the latest release from http://www.eclipse.org/equinox/incubator/aspects/equinox-aspects-downloads.php
- Unzip into your Eclipse plugins directory (must be plugins and not dropins because of Bug 257178)
- Edit your config.ini file in your Eclipse configuration directory:
- Add the following line:
- Look for the line that looks something like:
- Optionally, add the following lines in order to enable weave info messages:
aj.weaving.verbose=true org.aspectj.weaver.showWeaveInfo=true org.aspectj.osgi.verbose=true
To see if the JDT Weaving plugin is properly configured, go to
Preferences -> JDT Weaving
- Create a new aspect in an AspectJ project and save.
- Open the Open Types dialog (Ctrl-Shift-t on Windows).
- Type the name of the new aspect.
- If it appears, rejoice! The JDT weaving plugin is now working.
Uninstall Weaving AJDT in the same way you uninstall any other Eclipse feature:
Help -> Software Updates -> Installed Software
Select AJDT, and click Uninstall.... This will also uninstall Equinox Aspects and reset your config.ini to its previous state.
Running Weaving AJDT without JDT Weaving
It is possible to disable the weaving service and still run AJDT 1.6.2. However, all the advanced features will be disabled.
Preferences -> JDT Weaving
Click the button and restart the workbench. The weaving service can be restarted in the same way.
Alternatively, to disable manually, you can edit the file eclipse/configuration/config.ini. Delete the line that looks something like this: