Java™ 8 support for Eclipse is ready, see JDT/Eclipse Java 8 Support For Kepler. This page summarizes the work that was done.
Eclipse Support for Java 8 - Release Schedule
- Feb 21st 2014: Early Access Release IV: Release candidate 1
- What is new in this release ?
- JDT/Core and JDT/APT are already feature complete - This is a bug fix release with numerous defects resolved
- What is new in this release ?
- March 7th 2014 : Release candidate 2
- Bug fixes
- March 18th 2014: General availability release (Available - See below for install instructions)
Starting with I20140318-0830 all our Luna (4.4) builds contain the Eclipse support for Java™ 8. For Kepler SR2 (4.3.2) a feature patch is available. For details go to our downloads page.
Java 8 features ready to be tested (save for some very minor defects)
- JSR 308 - Type Annotations
- Default & static methods in interfaces
- Support for lambda expressions and method/constructor references is substantially in place except in the areas of type inference, lambda serialization and varargs.
- Support for Java 8 type inference specification.
- Quick assist support for migrating anonymous classes to lambda expressions and vice versa.
- Meta data enhancement specification:
- JEP120: Repeating annotations
- JEP118: Runtime access to parameter names
- JSR269 Enhancements for Pluggable Annotation Processor API and javax.lang.model APIs
- Formatter, code completion, code navigation, search & indexing, reconciler, incremental builder support for all of Java 8
- Basic IDE enablement for all of Java 8
- AST/APIs for all of Java 8
- Serializable lambda support
- JSR308 type annotations based null analysis (substantially complete - some open issues exist)
- UI: Basic infrastructure like the Java-related views, Java Compiler compliance settings, Organize Imports, Mark Occurrences, Open Declaration (F3), Edit > Expand Selection To > ..., Content Assist (Ctrl+Space), Formatting, and Source Actions should work correctly in most situations when you start using them with Java 8 constructs.
What work is pending ?
Pending changes were tracked as dependencies of the top level bug 380190 - Add support for Java SE 8.
JDT UI changes were tracked in JDT UI/Java8.
How to report defects ?
- The following lines must be added in all headers of modified files for Java™ 8 implementation:
* This is an implementation of an early-draft specification developed under the Java * Community Process (JCP) and is made available for testing and evaluation purposes * only. The code is not compatible with any specification of the JCP. *
- Use the following @since tag on all newly added members: "3.9 BETA_JAVA8"
What to do to set up the IDE
- You need to install a JDK 8 build as an installed JRE in order to compile org.eclipse.jdt.annotation and run the tests using the JavaSE-1.8 Execution Environment.
- Use the exact name "JavaSE-1.8" for the JRE
- Checkout the BETA_JAVA8 branch of the following git repositories:
- JDT Core repository - git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.core.git
- JDT UI repository - git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.ui.git
- JDT Debug repository - git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/jdt/eclipse.jdt.debug.git
- Equinox OSGi repository: git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/equinox/rt.equinox.framework.git
- For tests:
- Releng repository - git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/platform/eclipse.platform.releng.git
- Text repository - git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/platform/eclipse.platform.text.git
- For more information on how to work with git repositories, look at http://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform-releng/Git_Workflows .
- Set R4.3.1 as Target Platform.
- Set R4.3.1 as API Baseline.
- If you are going to be running Ant builds (stand-alone or as project builders) using the 1.8 javac target, you should read the following wiki: Ant / Java 8.
This is a work in progress. The contents of the BETA_JAVA8 branch will be updated as the changes are made to the JSR Specification. Please use the early access builds only in a test/evaluation mode and not in the real development environment. If you need any help with this, please contact the JDT/Core team through either the forum or Bugzilla.