Difference between revisions of "IoT/M2MIWG/TLP Charter Draft"
m (Webmaster.eclipse.org moved page Machine-to-Machine/M2MIWG/TLP Charter Draft to Iot/M2MIWG/TLP Charter Draft)
Revision as of 09:18, 4 February 2014
This charter was developed in accordance with the Eclipse Development Process and outlines the mission, scope, organization, and development process for the Eclipse M2M Top-Level Project. This document extends the Eclipse Standard Top-Level Charter v1.1, and includes the required content and overrides which follow. It is anticipated that as the standard charter is updated, this charter will incorporate the changes and make adjustments as seen fit by the PMC, and with approval from the EMO and board of directors.
The Eclipse M2M Top-Level Project is an open source collaborative software development project dedicated to providing extensible, standards-based protocols, runtimes and tools for enabling a connected world.
- Descriptive name: xxx
- Nickname: xxx
The mission of the project is to provide:
- Protocols implementations that can easily be consumed by end solution developers as well as framework developers
- Runtimes that abstract the complexity of direct hardware and communication stack manipulation
- Tools that facilitate the development of connected systems
This document describes the composition and organization of the project, roles and responsibilities of the participants, and development process for the project.
The scope of Eclipse M2M is as follows:
- Implementation of communication protocols applicable to M2M communications due to their nature (bandwidth efficiency, security, ...)
- Investigation and research related to future protocols
- Implementation of low-level services (application management, device management, ...) needed for enabling and simplifying the connection of systems with each other, using the aforementioned protocols implementations
- Implementation of high-level services that enable vertical applications whose primary goal is to connect things
- Tooling for supporting the use of the aforementioned protocols and services in order to enable the development and the operation of connected systems
- (Marco) Provide default builds for popular open hardware platforms
The project will initially be structured into the following sub-projects:
- Paho: Paho delivers reference implementations for the MQTT protocol
Services and Runtimes
The project will initially be structured into the following sub-projects, xxx
- Mihini: Mihini delivers a Linux based runtime enabling application development in programming languages such as Lua and C, and providing services such as Application Management and Device Management.
- Ponte (?): Ponte provides a server runtime for bridging M2M protocols to REST.
- Koneki Target Management
The Incubator will focus on new developments that are relevant to the other Eclipse M2M sub-projects, which because of their nature would not be appropriate for direct inclusion in the effected sub-project. This could be because the work is still experimental, will have a longer timeline than can be contained within a single release, has dependencies on external IP that has not yet cleared the Eclipse Foundation IP process, or is simply potentially too destabilizing in nature.
Note that as per the Eclipse Development Process, existing projects that are mature and would like to work on exploratory features are highly encouraged to maintain their own Incubator (see EDP Section 4.9)
Out of scope