< To: Buckminster Project
Installation for Buckminster contributors
If you intend to contribute to Buckminster, or plan to extend Buckminster you will want to get hold of the latest Buckminster source. Naturally, you will use Buckminster to get itself and use the following Buckminster CQUERY to obtain it:
When resolving this query you MUST ensure that your Eclipse installation contains the RCP delta pack.
- Go to http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/.
- Select the latest release (i.e. http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-184.108.40.206-200710231652/index.php.
- Navigate to the RCP SDK section where you will find a download link for the "RCP delta pack" zip.
- Download and unpack into your Eclipse installation directory.
- Restart Eclipse and execute the buckminster-dev.cquery which should now happily resolve and materialize the latest Buckminster source into you workspace.
Installing the Headless Buckminster
Buckminster is also packaged in a so called 'Headless' command line oriented version suitable for running on remote servers, be invoked from scripts etc. The Headless version is based on Eclipse but only includes what is needed to run as a command line tool. The footprint of the headless version is thus much smaller than for the complete Eclipse IDE.
The Headless version as it is delivered today requires configuration before use. The downloadable version only contains the Buckminster core - i.e. it does not contain any of the optional plugins. They are easy to add, but it requires some work on your part.
You can read about the details and get step by step instruction on the Buckminster Packaging page.
How can I Stay Updated?
The IDE installation is updated via the Eclipse Update Manager. When installing Buckminster as described above, you have already added the required information to receive updates via the Eclipse Update Manager.
For the Headless version, you need to read more on the Buckminster Packaging (and subsequent) pages as there are different options how to do this.