Implement Split File Editor Functionality for the Eclipse IDE
- 2008-06-23: 1st release of multi editor and split editor implementations. DOWNLOAD. Instructions: Download the plugin jar and place in the dropins directory (compatible with Eclipse 3.4 RC4 or later).
Usage: Open a file in Eclipse, then select Window -> New Split Editor from the main menu to open a split editor of the file.
This implementation is based on Paul Webster's patch, which uses the existing multi-editor architecture in Eclipse.
- does not require custom work for different editor types (java/xml/etc)
- works automatically with new custom editor types
- bound by the limitations of the multi-editor infrastructure
Custom Split Editor Implementation
Usage: Right-click on a file, select Open with -> Other... and select \[Split Text Editor\] from the list of editors.
This implementation is based on a custom editor implementation that dynamically creates a new StyledText control when a sash is dragged within the editor to split it.
- fully replaces existing editors and allows splitting the active editor in-place (as opposed to opening a split editor in a new tab)
- easier activation via the mouse because there is no need to go to the window main menu or editor tab context menu.
- requires customization of every editor class that wants to support split editing (java/xml... etc)