IRC is an excellent public forum -- both for helping users and for getting to know other committers. We have official group status on Freenode. You can connect to Freenode by pointing your IRC client at irc.freenode.net. These are the main channels we maintain:
- #eclipse - questions from plug-in developers and users
- #eclipse-dev - Eclipse committer discussion and socializing - a good rule of thumb is this channel is for the development of org.eclipse.* plugins
- #eclipse-commits - lists all commits as they come in (See CIA)
There are also more project specific channels:
- #eclipse-cdt-dev - C/C++ Development Tools committer discussion and socializing - a good rule of thumb is this channel is for the development of org.eclipse.cdt.* plugins
- #eclipse-de - german localized version of #eclipse
- #eclipse-ecf - the discussion channel for the Eclipse Communication Framework
If you are a committer on an eclipse project, then you can get yourself a developer cloak. A developer cloak identifies you as a committer on the Eclipse project, gives you some privileges on the channel and masks your hostname. If you would like a developer cloak, please contact paulweb515 or nitind on IRC.
If you are having trouble choosing an IRC client, we recommend ChatZilla which will integrate nicely into Firefox.