IRC is an excellent public forum -- both for helping users and for getting to know other committers. We have official group status on Freenode. You can connect to Freenode by pointing your IRC client at irc.freenode.net.
These are the main channels we maintain:
- #eclipse - questions from plug-in developers and users
- #eclipse-bugs - official channel for Eclipse Bug Day
- #eclipse-commits - lists all commits as they come in (See CIA)
- #eclipse-dev - Eclipse committer discussion and socializing - a good rule of thumb is this channel is for the development of org.eclipse.* plugins
- #eclipse-soc - official channel for Eclipse Summer of Code
There are also more project specific channels:
- #eclipse-de - german localized version of #eclipse
- #eclipse-ecf - the discussion channel for the Eclipse Communication Framework
- #eclipse-equinox-dev - the discussion channel for the Equinox Project
- #eclipse-modeling - the discussion channel for the Eclipse Modeling Project
- #higgins - the discussion channel for the Higgins project
- #eclipse-stp - the discussion channel for the SOATools project
A log of the the traffic on #eclipse is available on the web. There is also an actively maintained IRC FAQ in which most questions eventually appear -- feel free to contribute! Much of the content was born here.
If you are a committer on an eclipse project, then you can get yourself a developer cloak. A developer cloak identifies you as a committer on the Eclipse project, gives you some privileges on the channel and masks your hostname. If you would like a developer cloak, please contact paulweb515 or nitind on IRC.
How Do I Start Using IRC?
How Do I Choose An IRC Client?
- If you are having trouble choosing an IRC client, try ChatZilla which runs inside Firefox. Konversation and xchat are also widely used options.
- Or, if you're familiar with the IM client Gaim (now called Pidgin), it also works great with IRC on both Windows and Linux.
- Mac users, try one of these.
- Another choice is ECF's IRC client, which runs as a view inside of Eclipse.