Graphical Editing Framework
The Graphical Editing Framework (GEF) project provides technology to realize rich graphical editors and views for the Eclipse Workbench. It bundles three components:
- Draw2d (org.eclipse.draw2d) - A layout and rendering toolkit for displaying graphics on an SWT Canvas.
- GEF (org.eclipse.gef) - An interactive MVC framework built on top of Draw2d, which fosters the implementation of rich graphical editors for the Eclipse Workbench.
- Zest (org.eclipse.zest) - A visualization toolkit based on Draw2d, which enables implementation of graphical views for the Eclipse Workbench.
While the main GEF website contains the bulk of information regarding the GEF project, the type of information more appropriately hosted on a wiki is (or will be) found here, such as: FAQs, tutorials, requirements, discussions, etc.
Downloads & Update Sites
- Update-Sites: Releases, Milestones & RCs, Intergration & Maintenance Builds (old update sites:
Releases, Milestones, Intergration Builds)
- New and Noteworthy: 3.6 (stable) , 3.7 (development)
- GEF Project Contributor Guide
- GEF Project Team Meetings
- GEF and Draw2d Plug-in Developer Guide (Ecipse Help)
- Draw2d/GEF Developer FAQ
- Draw2d/GEF Tutorial ( Part 1 & Part 2) by Régis Lemaigre
- Draw2d/GEF Troubleshooting Guide
External Documentation (Articles, Slides, Books)
- Lars Vogel (2009): Eclipse Zest - Tutorial
- Chris Aniszczyk, Randy Hudson (2007): Create an Eclipse-based application using the Graphical Editing Framework - How to get started with the GEF and other options for the graphically inclined Eclipse developer, IBM developerWorks article
- Randy Hudson (2006): Graphical Editing Framework - Tutorial, EclipseCon presentation slides
- William Moore, David Dean, Anna Gerber, Gunnar Wagenknecht, Philippe Vanderheyden (2004): Eclipse Development using the Graphical Editing Framework and the Eclipse Modeling Framework, IBM Redbook
- Phil Zoio (2004): Building a database schema diagram editor, Eclipse Corner Article
- By Bo Majewski (2004): A shape diagram editor, Eclipse Corner Article
- Daniel Lee (2003): Display a UML Diagram using Draw2D, Eclipse Corner Article
- Eric Bordeau (2003): Using Native Drag and Drop in GEF, Eclipse Corner Article