Gemini Web is a subproject of the Gemini project.
Gemini Web is a sister project of Virgo. Please refer to the Virgo wiki for salient information.
Trying out Gemini Web
1. Download the Equinox JAR, for example org.eclipse.osgi_3.6.0.v20100517.jar, and move it to a suitable directory (e.g. ~/gemini-web-test). On the Download page first choose the desired Release or Build, then download the JAR from the Framework section.
2. Download Gemini Web and unzip it to ~/gemini-web-test/gemini-web.
3. Configure Equinox by creating a directory ~/gemini-web-test/configuration and create a config.ini file in the configuration directory. An example which works with 1.1.0.M03-incubation is available (in zipped form) here. Essentially this file ensures that the dependencies of Gemini Web, which come in the dep directory, are installed and then the Gemini Web bundles are installed and started.
4. Start Equinox as follows:
java -jar org.eclipse.osgi_3.6.0.v20100517.jar -console
5. You can then install WAR files and web bundles using the install command from the console. Refer to the documentation for more information.
Set as a Target Platform in PDE
The following steps enable you to develop Web Application Bundles that compile against the libraries of the Gemini Web container by using the existing Plug-in Development Environment (PDE) tooling in Eclipse.
- Open Window > Preferences from the main menu in the Eclipse IDE.
- Navigate to the Plug-in Development > Target Platform preferences page.
- Click the Add... button.
- Choose Nothing: start with an empty target definition and click Next >
- Give a Name for the new target definition (like "Gemini Web").
- Make sure the Locations tab is the active one and click the Add... button.
- Choose Directory and press the Next > button.
- Browse to the ~/gemini-web-test folder and click the Finish button.
- Repeat steps 6-8 to add the ~/gemini-web-test/gemini-web and ~/gemini-web-test/gemini-web/dep folders to the target definition.
- Click the Finish button to close the New Target Definition wizard.
- Select the newly created target definition and click the OK button to activate it for you PDE environment.
Run as OSGi Framework from the Eclipse IDE
The following steps enable you to deploy and run the Web Application Bundles in your Eclipse workspace on the Gemini Web container.
- Make sure you have set the Gemini Web container as a target platform as described in the previous section.
- Open Run > Run Configurations... from the main menu of the Eclipse IDE.
- Navigate to the OSGi Framework category.
- Right-click > New.
- Give a Name for you run configuration (like "Gemini Web").
- Open the Bundles tab.
- Make sure all of the bundles under the Target Platform node are selected.
- Select the bundles from the Workspace you want to deploy in the Gemini Web container.
- Click the Run button.