Difference between revisions of "Ganymede Press Release"
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
The projects in the Ganymede release are now available for download.
The projects in the Ganymede release are now available for download. have been created to make it easier for developers to download multiple projects based on their role.
Revision as of 08:05, 15 June 2008
Below is a draft of the press release to announce the Ganymede release train. Everyone is invited to add content and comments to the release. Feel free to add your favourite new features in the Ganymede release. Please try to be brief and to the point. We may have to edit and prioritize the content if it gets too long. Really long press releases tend to be not well received by the press.
The goal is to have it finished by June 18.
Eclipse Delivers Its Annual Release Train
Ottawa, Canada – June 25, 2008 -- The Eclipse Foundation and the entire Eclipse community is pleased to announce the availability of the Ganymede Release, the annual release train developed by the Eclipse community. The Ganymede Release is a coordinated release of 24 different Eclipse project teams and represents over 18 million lines of code.
Key new features from the release include:
Equinox and Runtime Projects
- A new provisioning system, called p2, makes it easier for Eclipse users to install and update Eclipse.
- Equinox has added two new security features, including 1) a Preferences-like storage for sensitive data such as passwords and login credentials. The information is encrypted using Java encryption mechanisms and 2) the ability to easily use the Java authentication service (JAAS) in Equinox.
- Eclipe Communication Framework (ECF) has added real-time shared editing and other communications features to allow developers to communicate and collaborate from within Eclipse.
- New Ecore Tools project provides developers a graphical environment for creating, editing and maintaining EMF Ecore models.
- Enhanced Resource APIs in EMF to fully support REST, including support for content-type based resource factory registration as well as for the full CRUD life cycle.
- DTP has added a new graphical SQL query editor, called the SQL Query Builder, and improved usability of connection profile creation and management for users and adopters/extenders.
Support for SOA
- New SCA Designer provides a graphical interface for developers who wish to create composite applications using the SCA 1.0 standard.
- The Policy Editor is a collection of editors and validators that makes it easy for developers to construct and manipulate XML expressions that conform to the WS-Policy W3C standard.
- The BPMN Editor continues to go from strength to strength and is now a mature and reliable framework that allows consumers to construct and extend the BPMN 1.1 standard notation to illustrate
Availability The projects in the Ganymede release are now available for download. Seven Eclipse Packages have been created to make it easier for developers to download multiple projects based on their role.