GEF/New and Noteworthy/4.0
- New and Noteworthy in 3.0
- New and Noteworthy in 3.5
- New and Noteworthy in 3.6
- New and Noteworthy in 3.7
- New and Noteworthy in 3.8
- New and Noteworthy in 3.9
- New and Noteworthy in 3.10
- New and Noteworthy in 3.10.1
The GEF 4.0.0 (Neon) release provides minor revisions of the maintenance components Draw2d 3.x (3.11.0), GEF (MVC) 3.x (3.11.0), and Zest 1.x (1.7.0), as well as major revisions of the new GEF4 components (1.0.0).
As declared in the project plan, the decision about contributing GEF4 in version 1.0.0 (instead of 0.3.0) and an overall 4.0.0 release (instead of 3.11.0) was postponed up to M5. That is, Bugzilla entries commented before Neon M6 will refer to a 3.11.0 release and milestone contributions (including M5) include GEF4 components in version 0.3.0.
Please note that several incompatible changes to the (up to 0.2.0 provisional) API of GEF4 were made. The list of added and removed classes can be found at . The most notable API changes are outlined below, marking incompatible ones with [INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE].
GEF4 FX (1.0.0)
The FX component has undergone a significant revision:
- Connection does now support routers (straight and orthogonal) and interpolators (polyline, poly-bezier), it support proper clipping of start and end decorations, as well as replacement of the visual curve node. Furthermore support for a 'clickable' area has been added, which can e.g. be used to expand the mouse-sensitive area when zooming.
(Most) Significant API Changes
We have not only renamed all contained classes to get rid of the 'FX' prefix, but as indicated above, several changes (including breaking API changes) compared to 0.2.0 have been incorporated. In the following, the most notable ones are listed:
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Split FX.UI module into FX.SWT and FX.JFace modules (M2)
- #471154 Renamed FX.UI module into FX.SWT module and added FXColorPicker, FXSimpleLinearGradientPicker, and FXAdvancedLinearGradientPicker, which were provided by MVC.FX.UI module before (refactored from AbstractFXColorPicker, FXColorPicker, FXSimpleGradientPicker, and FXAdvancedGradientPicker). Introduced new FX.JFace module, which provides FXPaintCellEditor and FXPaintSelectionDialog, which were provided by MVC.FX.UI module before (refactored from FXFillCellEditor and FXFillSelectionDialog).
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Merged ScrollPaneEx and FXGridCanvas into InfiniteCanvas (M3)
- #479395 Renamed the ScrollPaneEx to InfiniteCanvas and revised its API. The FXGridLayer has been removed and its functionality was moved to InfiniteCanvas. The InfiniteCanvas does now allow to insert visuals at different "positions" inside of the InfiniteCanvas: underlay group, scrolled underlay group, content group, scrolled overlay group, overlay group.
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Revised Connection, introduced IConnectionRouter and IConnectionInterpolator (M3, M6)
- #454681 Added support for having a clickable area that is thicker than the connection stroke and allows to select also very thin connections. Its width is exposed by a property of Connection, so it can be bound (e.g. to adjust the width of the clickable area dependent on the scaling). Enhance the MVC logo example to demonstrate example usage of this feature.
- Added support for proper clipping of decorations
- Ensured that the curve node of a connection can be replaced
- #488356 Introduced support for orthogonal routing, including support for start and end point hints.
- Separated routing (manipulation of control points) from interpolating (visual appearance)
- Exposed all relevant properties as (observable) properties, so it can be better used in a pure JavaFX environment.
- Revised DynamicAnchor and its IComputationStrategy to be comparable to a JavaFX binding, where the resulting position value is based on observable computation parameters that might depend on the anchorage (static) or anchored visual (dynamic).
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Revised GeometryNode to extend Region instead of Parent (RC1)
- #443954 GeometryNode has been changed to extend Region instead of Parent, so it no longer relies on overriding the deprecated impl_computeLayoutBounds() method that is deprecated and announced to be removed in future JavaFX releases. The API of GeometryNode was enhanced so that it does now allow to use relocate(double, double) and resize(double, double) to update the layout bounds (including layoutX and layoutY) while relocateGeometry(double, double) and resizeGeometry(double, double) can be used to update the geometric bounds. The layout bounds (and layoutX, layoutY) resemble the geometric bounds, expanded by a stroke offset (dependent on stroke width and type) and border insets.
GEF4 MVC (1.0.0)
Support for orthogonal routing (M7)
Palette for MVC Logo example
(Most) Significant API Changes
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Moved cell editor, dialogs, and pickers from MVC.FX.UI to FX.SWT and FX.JFace (M2)
Refactored AbstractFXColorPicker, FXColorPicker, FXSimpleGradientPicker, and FXAdvancedGradientPicker and moved them into FX.SWT (renamed from FX.UI). Refactored FXFillCellEditor and FXFillSelectionDialog and moved them into FX.JFace.
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Renamed AbstractPolicy#enableRefreshVisuals() and #disableRefreshVisuals() (M3)
Renamed disableRefreshVisuals() to storeAndDisableRefreshVisuals() and enableRefreshVisuals() to restoreRefreshVisuals().
The FXTransformPolicy now provides an API for the creation and manipulation of transformation matrices. These matrices are then concatenated, together with the initial host transformation matrix, to yield the new host transformation matrix. Therefore, complex transformations can be set up properly at one point, and the important values can be changed later on, e.g. during user interaction.
Moreover, the related policies (FXRelocateConnectionPolicy, FXRelocateOnDragPolicy, FXResizeRelocateOnHandleDragPolicy, FXResizeRelocatePolicy, FXRotatePolicy, FXRotateSelectedOnHandleDragPolicy, FXRotateSelectedOnRotatePolicy, FXScaleRelocateOnHandleDragPolicy, and FXScaleRelocatePolicy) have been renamed to express the actual transformation (e.g. "translate" instead of "relocate"). Additionally, the intermediate FXResizeRelocatePolicy, FXRotatePolicy, and FXScaleRelocatePolicy have been removed. The policies that were dependent on those intermediate policies are now directly using the FXTransformPolicy.
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Add 'Abstract' prefix to FXEditor and FXView (M3)
Renamed FXEditor to AbstractFXEditor and FXView to AbstractFXView.
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Refactored ContentPolicy, CreationPolicy, and DeletionPolicy (M3)
Cleaned up ContentPolicy to only provide operations related to the content of the respective host part. It is intended to be registered at each IContentPart. Moved all "higher-level" operations into CreationPolicy and DeletionPolicy, which are to be registered at the IRootPart alone.
Furthermore, updating the selection, hover, and focus models is now handled within the CreationPolicy and the DeletionPolicy and the ClearHoverFocusSelectionOperation has been removed. The CreationPolicy selects and focusses a newly created part. The DeletionPolicy removes the deleted parts from the selection and focus models. Moreover, the CreationPolicy creates the IContentPart before executing operations on the history. Therefore, the content part can be used for live feedback even though the creation is not yet committed.
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Adjusted API of SelectionModel (M3)
Renamed accessor methods provided by SelectionModel to be more concise. Especially clarified via names, whether an operation appends, prepends, or sets the selection.
Refactored ContentBehavior to prevent deactivation removes all children of host (M3)
Changed the implementation of ContentBehavior to ensure that deactivation does not remove children of its host. This way, deactivation of an FXViewer can now be temporarily applied (to disable all listeners) without loosing the content of the viewer.
Changed contract so that a Connection now delegates to an IConnectionRouter and an IConnectionInterpolator.
Added support for specifying positions hints for start and end points, which can be used to influence positions for attached anchors.
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Changed contract of IDomain to execute only ITransactionalOperation (RC1)
GEF4 Graph (1.0.0)
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Enhanced builder API (M3)
Enhanced the builder API so that graph-, node-, and edge-builders can be chained appropriately. Node-builders can now be provided with an Object-key, that can be referred to by edge-builders.
GEF4 Zest (1.0.0)
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Factored out Zest.FX.JFace from Zest.FX.UI (M2)
Separeted out the Zest JFace-API into an own module, so it can be consumed without introducing dependencies on the Eclipse Workbench UI.
[INCOMPATIBLE CHANGE] Removed IEdgeDecorationProvider (M3)
Removed IEdgeDecorationProvider from Zest.FX.Jface. Respective ZestProperties.EDGE_SOURCE_DECORATION and ZestProperties.EDGE_TARGET_DECORATION attributes may be provided via IGraphNodeLabelProvider#getEdgeAttributes() instead.
GEF4 DOT (1.0.0)
The GEF4 DOT component has been completely revised and has made significant progress towards a full DOT authoring environment. A preference page has been added (#446639), via which the path to the native dot executable can be specified. In addition to image export, it is now also employed by the DOT Graph view to enable layouting in native mode in addition to the already provided emulated mode (based on matching GEF4 Layout algorithms). The view now also provides additional rendering capabilities, including edge decorations (¢https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=477980]}, splines, as well as all available kind of labels (for edges and nodes). The DOT editor has been enhanced with additional validation support for arrowtype, point, splinetype, shape, and style attribute values.