GEF4 is the unified effort to develop a new GEF 4.0 code base as a modernization of the current one (Draw2d, GEF (MVC) 3.x, and Zest 1.x, in the following referred to as GEF proper). Being developed in parallel to maintaining the GEF proper code base, GEF4 is set up as a provisional component in order to not being bound to the same API compatibility constraints.
Development has been started by creating a new double-precision Geometry-API (see Bugzilla 355997 for details) based on the Draw2d geometry classes as a nucleus. As this is nearing completion, creation of a new Graphics-API (see Bugzilla 386029 for details), which abstracts from a concrete windowing toolkit and can be used in SWT and AWT context (we assume that JavaFX might become interesting as an Eclipse RCP rendering possibility on the near term), is the next logical step we have started with. After this, the remaining parts of the Draw2d and Zest2 code base can be migrated, after it GEF (MFC).
Additional information about current status and plans can also be found here:
- Alexander Nyßen (2012): GEF - Past, Present, and Future, EclipseCon NA, Reston (VA), 2012
- Alexander Nyßen (2012): GEF4 - Share And Enjoy..., EclipseCon Europe, Ludwigsburg, 2012
- GEF4 Geometry - Provides different abstractions (Euclidean, Projective, Planar) for 2D geometric calculations, and conversions of planar geometries (curves, shapes, poly shapes) to/from respective SWT and AWT equivalents (as well as conversions between these SWT and AWT geometries). (355997)
- GEF4 Graphics - Provides toolkit-independent support for rendering planar geometries, images, and text. Up to now, rendering is supported on SWT (through GC) and on AWT (through Graphics2D) widgets. JavaFX-support is planned. (386029)
- GEF/GEF4/Layouts GEF4 Layouts (planned) - Will provide a data model for layout calculations as well as basic layout algorithms. Will be based on the contents of the
org.eclipse.draw2d.graphpackage as well as on the SWT/JFace independent parts of the
- GEF4 Zest - Original Zest2 code base, already adopted to GEF4 namespace and versioning, integrated into GEF4 Git repository and update-site. Not yet migrated/re-modularized to depend on other GEF4 components only (i.e. still dependent on Draw2d 3.x). May be split/re-modularized (372365)
Bugzilla components (for those listed above) are created one by one as parts of the remaining code base are migrated. In addition, all bugs related to GEF4 are prefixed
[GEF4]. Here is a list of all bugs currently related to GEF4.
The complete source code of GEF4 is located in the GEF4 Git repository. For further information on how to obtain it and how set-up in order to contribute, please refer to the GEF Project Contributor Guide.
A Tycho-based build infrastructure for the GEF4 provisional component has been configured under https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/gef4-master. The build job is triggered hourly in case of changes to the source code repository and further once per day. It produces an update-site, which does not get promoted to downloads.eclipse.org, but can directly be consumed from:
In addition to this, integration, milestones, and release builds are promoted to downloads.eclipse.org and can be found here:
Note that while integration builds are promoted automatically once per week (every friday), milestone and release builds are published only manually on the respective occasions (not yet). Further note that these update sites are merged (so old builds are preserved), while the nightly update site gets replaced on each build.