GEF4 is the unified effort to develop a new GEF 4.x code base as a modernization of the current production components Draw2d/GEF (MVC) 3.x, and Zest 1.x. Being developed in parallel to maintaining the production components, GEF4 is set up as a set of smaller, more lightweight components that currently only provide provisional API.
Additional information about our plans and can be inferred from the following talks:
- Alexander Nyßen (2012): GEF - Past, Present, and Future, EclipseCon NA, Reston (VA), 2012
- Alexander Nyßen (2012): GEF4 - Share And Enjoy..., EclipseCon Europe, Ludwigsburg, 2012
- Alexander Nyßen (2013): GEF4 - (Continue to) Share and Enjoy..., EclipseCon NA, Boston (MA), 2013
- Alexander Nyßen (2013): GEF4 SwtFX (Lightning Talks), EclipseCon Europe, Ludwigsburg, 2013
- Alexander Nyßen (2013): GEF4, RheinJug, Düsseldorf, 2013
- Alexander Nyßen (2014): GEF4 - There's really something going on!, EclipseCon NA, San Francisco (CA), 2014
Work is currently being spent on developing a JavaFX-based replacement for the core of GEF (GEF4 FX, GEF4 SwtFX, GEF4 MVC), as well as further migration of the former Zest2 code base (GEF4 Layout, GEF4 Graph, GEF4 DOT, GEF4 Zest.FX). Integration builds are available on a weekly basis (see Developer Resources), and we are intending to publish a first release of the GEF4 components with the Mars simultaneous release.
Please note that (even including the intended Mars release version) all GEF4 API is still provisional, i.e. there is no released API yet. Therefore, all API-packages are exported with the x-internal directive. To differentiate them from non-API packages, all non-API packages are explicitly named as 'internal' and are either not exported by the bundle manifest, or only via an x-friends directive (if they are used in other test bundles, etc.). You may want to consult the Contributor Guide for details on how to set up your IDE to get rid of any restricted access warnings that are caused by this policy.
- GEF4 Geometry (Geometry / Geoemtry.Convert.SWT / Geometry.Convert.FX) - Provides different abstractions (Euclidean, Projective, Planar) for 2D geometric calculations, and conversions of planar geometries (curves, shapes, poly shapes) to/from respective SWT, AWT, and JavaFX equivalents (as well as conversions between SWT and AWT geometries). Is already quite stable but still requires some performance optimizations. Also, change notification support is still lacking.
- GEF4 FX - Provides support for rendering IGeometry-based JavaFX shapes, visual anchor implementations, and common JavaFX-specific abstractions (IFXConnection) to be used by upstream components. Will have to be extended with additional anchor implementations, decorations, and custom widgets.
- GEF4 SwtFX - Provides support for embedding SWT Controls (generic adapter as well as specific adapters for Button, StyledText) via adapters into a JavaFX scene graph using the JavaFX SWT integration. Also enhances the JavaFX-SWT-Integration with forwarding of touch gestures. Will have to be extended to provide dedicated support for adapting additional SWT controls.
- GEF4 MVC (MVC / MVC.UI / MVC.FX / MVC.FX.UI) - Core model-view-controller framework to build up graphical editors and views. Provides an UI toolkit independent and a JavaFX specific layer, as well as Eclipse-UI integration for both. Can be used to build standalone and Eclipse-integrated editors and views.
- GEF4 Graph Provides a (currently) very simply, UI-independent data-model (Graph, Node, Edge). Will need to be extended to suit as underlying data model for GEF4 Layout (sub-graphs).
- GEF4 Layout - Provides layout algorithm implementations as well as a data-model facade to feed these algorithms. Will have to be harmonized with GEF4 Graph, so that GEF4 graph models can be used as underlying data-model.
- GEF4 Zest (Zest.FX / Zest.FX.UI) - Will provide graph-based visualization based on JavaFX. So far transferred from original Zest2 code base, adopted to GEF4 namespace and versioning, and integrated into GEF4 Git repository and update-site. Not yet fully adopted/re-modularized to depend on other GEF4 components only (i.e. still dependent on Draw2d 3.x). However, the GEF4 Layout, GEF4 Graph, GEF4 DOT, and GEF4 Cloudio components have already been factored out (372365).
- GEF4 DOT (DOT / DOT.UI) Provides GraphViz DOT-Editor (Xtext) and import/export to GEF4 Graph. Will have to be extended to e.g. support sub-graphs.
- GEF4 Cloudio - Provides support for visualizing tag clouds. Is based on SWT/JFace, integrated in the Eclipse UI, and will (at least for now) not be ported to JavaFX.
All relevant information about how to obtain our source code, where to find our Hudson build jobs, update sites, mailing lists, or our forum, etc. can all be found in the respective sections of the GEF project dashboard. In addition to this, there is a dedicated Contributor Guide that describes how to setup a workspace, provide a patch, execute a headless Tycho-build, and more.