Difference between revisions of "GEF/GEF4"
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
[[GEF/GEF4 | GEF4]] is the unified effort to develop a new GEF 4.
[[GEF/GEF4 | GEF4]] is the unified effort to develop a new GEF 4.code base as a modernization of the current one (Draw2d, GEF (MVC) 3.x, and Zest 1.x, in the following referred to as ''GEF proper''). Being developed in parallel to maintaining the GEF proper code base, [[GEF/GEF4 | GEF4]] is set up as a provisional not being bound to the same API compatibility constraints.
== Current Status ==
== Current Status ==
Revision as of 05:53, 11 February 2014
GEF4 is the unified effort to develop a new GEF 4.x code base as a modernization of the current one (Draw2d, GEF (MVC) 3.x, and Zest 1.x, in the following referred to as GEF proper). Being developed in parallel to maintaining the GEF proper code base, GEF4 is set up as a set of provisional components, not being bound to the same API compatibility constraints.
As GEF4 Geometry is now functionally complete (see Bugzilla 355997 for details), work on a replacement for the core of GEF, namely GEF4 MVC, has been started (see Bugzilla 419805 for details). Simultaneously, migration of the former Zest2 code base is being performed (see 420061).
Additional information about current status and plans can also be found here:
- Alexander Nyßen (2012): GEF - Past, Present, and Future, EclipseCon NA, Reston (VA), 2012
- Alexander Nyßen (2012): GEF4 - Share And Enjoy..., EclipseCon Europe, Ludwigsburg, 2012
- Alexander Nyßen (2013): GEF4 - (Continue to) Share and Enjoy..., EclipseCon NA, Boston (MA), 2013
- Alexander Nyßen (2013): GEF4 SwtFX (Lightning Talks), EclipseCon Europe, Ludwigsburg, 2013
- Alexander Nyßen (2013): GEF4, RheinJug, Düsseldorf, 2013
- GEF4 Geometry - Provides different abstractions (Euclidean, Projective, Planar) for 2D geometric calculations, and conversions of planar geometries (curves, shapes, poly shapes) to/from respective SWT and AWT equivalents (as well as conversions between these SWT and AWT geometries). (355997)
- GEF4 SwtFX - Provides JavaFX Node implementations for SWT Controls, so that you can embed SWT Controls in a JavaFX scene graph using the JavaFX SWT integration. (410772)
- GEF4 MVC - Core model-view-controller framework to build up graphical editors and views. Provides an UI toolkit independent and a JavaFX specific layer. (419805)
- GEF4 Layout - Will provide a data model for layout calculations as well as basic layout algorithms. Will be based on the contents of the
org.eclipse.draw2d.graphpackage as well as on the SWT/JFace independent parts of the
- GEF4 Cloudio - Provides support for visualizing tag clouds. (Refactored out of the Zest2 code base, see 420061 for details)
- GEF4 Zest - Transferred from original Zest2 code base, already adopted to GEF4 namespace and versioning, and integrated into GEF4 Git repository and update-site. Not yet fully adopted/re-modularized to depend on other GEF4 components only (i.e. still dependent on Draw2d 3.x). However, the GEF4 Layout, GEF4 Graph, and GEF4 Cloudio components have already been factored out (372365).
Bugzilla components (for those listed above) are created one by one as parts of the remaining code base are migrated. In addition, all bugs related to GEF4 are prefixed
[GEF4]. Here is a list of all bugs currently related to GEF4.
The complete source code of GEF4 is located in the GEF4 Git repository. For further information on how to obtain it and how set-up in order to contribute, please refer to the GEF Project Contributor Guide.
A Tycho-based build infrastructure for the GEF4 provisional component has been configured under https://hudson.eclipse.org/hudson/job/gef4-master. The build job is triggered hourly in case of changes to the source code repository and further once per day. It produces an update-site, which does not get promoted to downloads.eclipse.org, but can directly be consumed from:
In addition to this, integration, milestones, and release builds are promoted to downloads.eclipse.org and can be found here:
Note that while integration builds are promoted automatically once per week (every friday), milestone and release builds are published only manually on the respective occasions (not yet). Further note that these update sites are merged (so old builds are preserved), while the nightly update site gets replaced on each build.