From Modeling to Execution in the Enterprise -- using BPMN and BPEL
Business Process Model Notation: high level
Business Process Execution Markup
The gap: the business person knows how the job gets done; the IT guys
BPMN Hello Worlds
Hello World workflow
- Pure business diagram
- Workflows can get complex: sub-processes, gateways, links.
- Documented business diagram
- HelloWorld WSDL-operation
Hello World service orchestration
- The other side of the workflow: HelloWorld service provider.
- The hello-world service pool
- Plugging things together with messages.
Hello World's execution in BPEL
- WSDL vocabulary: operation is a single message exchange.
Either a request-response or a one-way. A one-way is a single message being sent. A request-response is at least a request and at least a response. Eventually fault messages can be sent back instead of the response.
- On the client pool: a single bpel:invoke where the operation is well know.
- On the service pool: a receive followed by a reply.
Hello World has schizophrenia
- Make sure the various workflows are well defined.
- Decide what needs to be visualized.
- Investigate where interfaces are defined and where they will be generated.