Fostering Community Growth
To quote from the excellent http://www.codesimplicity.com/post/open-source-community-simplified/ (Highly recommended read, and make sure you read the comment section, too.)
- Growing and maintaining an open-source community depends essentially on three things:
- Getting people interested in contributing
- Removing the barriers to entering the project and contributing
- Retaining contributors so that they keep contributing
- If you can get people interested, then have them actually contribute, and then have them stick around, you have a community. Otherwise, you don’t.
Below is a link to Ed Merks' and Chris Aniszczyk's presentation at EclipseCON 2008, entitled Diversity is the Spice of Life.
It includes many tips, tricks, suggestions, and ideas for fostering community growth.
If you have anything else to contribute here -- success stories, other advice or tips -- please do!