Equinox p2 Meeting Week Jan 14-18 2008
A number of meetings will be held the week of Jan 14 - 18, 2008 to make DECISIONS about the content of the release. All times listed are in Eastern Standard Time
- 1 Participants and times they cannot attend:
- 2 Schedule of topics and meetings
Participants and times they cannot attend:
- Dave Stevenson - Tues 11-12:30 EST; Wed 2-3
- Pascal Rapicault - Tues 8h - 12h EST
- John Arthorne Wed 2:30-6
- Scott Lewis - Wed 11am-2pm PT (2pm-5pm EST)
Schedule of topics and meetings
Update manager compatibility
When: Monday 1:30-2:30
Who: Simon, DJ, Dave S, John, Pascal
- where are we?
- what are we missing?
- links folder, extensions folder, policy files
- install handlers
When: Tuesday 2:30-4:30
Who: Darin, Susan, John, Pascal
- UI Workflows
- Change to pde ui code
- Relation PDE / update
- p2 target provisioner
- Feature selfhosting replacement
- Do we keep features
- editor work
- Authoring tooling
- Need to maintain editors for old stuff: update sites, features, etc
- Do we need an editor for authoring IUs directly? No. People will continue to author features, etc, and we will generate the p2 metadata behind the scenes.
- Not clear what changes are needed in product editor. Perhaps a flag/checkbox to specify whether p2 or UM is being used. Also a way to set the start level of bundles.
- Should we have tooling in PDE for browsing/publishing to remote repositories? No.
- Nice to have, but probably not for 1.0
- Target provisioner
- Currently there can only be one active target platform. Would like to evolve to support multiple active target platforms
- We will add a p2 target provisioner that can take things from a p2 repository, and fetch the IUs selected by the user.
- Launch tooling
- Need to be able to publish/export in either new format or old format
- Suppose I deploy an application that is entirely "new school". It contains no features, only IUs. Someone wants to author a feature that depends on a group in this new school application. How can the user specify this dependency in the feature editor? Currently this is broken in a p2-provisioned Eclipse SDK.
Shape of eclipse
When: Monday 4:30-
Who: Jeff, Susan, Simon, DJ, Andrew N, John, Pascal
- We will keep the old all-in-one zip downloads. No configuration: unzip and run.
- We will continue to ship the same feature.xmls for the SDK
- Zip layout is same as Eclipse 3.3, plus p2 stuff:
- eclipse/ - eclipse.exe - plugins/ - features/ - p2/
- Is all the p2 metadata pre-configured or generated on first startup?
- bundles.txt, profile/install registry, bundle pool
- Easiest solution is that nothing gets automatically spoofed up on startup. Packagers/builders must invoke the "p2-izer" to prepare their zips
- how many agents
- p2-ization, when, what for, what from
- Handling of multiple installation
- Support for Vista
User interaction scenarios
When: Tuesday 9:30-12:00
Who: Susan, Tim M, John, Jeff, DJ, Simon
- Support for drag & drop install
- Do we keep the dropins folder concept
- Do we keep the UI to add extension locations?
- These are all related. Compelling use case: user got a jar from somewhere and wants to add to system
- Drag a zip/jar/URL/dir to available features list
- if drag source is a bundle, it goes to drop-ins folder, otherwise we are either:
- adding a repo (make metadata for this zip file and consider it a repo)
- adding content to the default drop-ins folder
- Drag a zip/jar/URL to installed features list - does above + install
- Repo properties control how often repo content is refreshed
- Prompting for trusted signers, licenses
- Do we keep the old ui?
- Verify that all the update manager functionalities are covered in p2
- Do we want to keep the disable functionality, how do we implement it?
- UI for drop-ins folder?
When: Tuesday 2-4
Who: Dave, John, Pascal, Jeff
- Metadata structure for an eclipse application
- product vs extension.
- Description of a "base" (to support firefox like model and allow the uninstallation of everything) and its UI terminology
- shape of new items:
- fix pack
When: Wednesday 9:30-10:30
Who: Andrew O, Pascal
Who: Jeff, Thomas H, John, Pascal, Andrew O
When: Wednesday 1-2
Who: Tim W, Scott, Tim M, Thomas H, John, Pascal, Stefan
- download manger
- download manager UI
- proxy support
- authentication (basic login/pwd prompting)
When: Wednesday 3-4
Who: Andrew N, Andrew O, Pascal
- What do we build from?
- What is being produced?
- Product build
When: Thursday 9-11
Who: Jeff, Susan, John, Pascal
- how many bundles
- do we have an API
Plan for SDK integration
When: Thursday 1-3
Who: Jeff, John, Pascal
- robustness level
No meeting assigned:
- Fwk admin
- What do we do with it?
- Will PDE need to use it?
- Repository support