Equinox Summit 2007
The Eclipse Foundation and the Equinox project team are hosting an Equinox Summit in Ottawa at the Minto Suites Hotel from Sept 25-26, 2007. This event is modeled after and co-located with the very successful CDT summits. (To be clear, the CDT Summit is 3 days, the Equinox Summit is 2).
See the Equinox Summit 2007 Agenda for a breakdown of the time we have available. The precise technical content has intentionally been omitted from the agenda: it will be our combined task to shape the agenda according to the needs and interests of those who show up. The agenda should be nicely finalized by the time we go home...
We have two full days and there is a lot of ground to cover. There will be sessions covering the four main areas of work related to Equinox:
- Framework/runtime This includes (but is not limited to): class loading, specification directions, programming models, security, ...
- Provisioning The provisioning team has made some very real progress but there is lots left to do.
- Server-side More and more people are picking this up and using Equinox on the server. We need to talk about where we are, who is using the technology and how, as well as where to go from here. OSGi Enterprise Expert Group directions, Spring/OSGi, programming models, ... all factor in here.
- Tooling Technically speaking the Equinox project does not do tooling but we would be lost without PDE and all the power it brings developers. It is vital that the technologies we talk about creating have a decent chance of being tooled.
To help gather a list of specific discussion topics, please add your areas of interest to the topics page.
Results and Minutes
The summit is organized into a set of lightning talks and a series of breakout topics defined and voted on by the participants. The presentations given were relatively informal. Any slides used are given below:
<list slide links here>
The results of each breakout group are reported in the Equinox Summit 2007 Breakout Results.
This summit is not a mini conference. Attendees should be prepared to present their points of view on the various themes and describe where they see themselves interacting, contributing and cooperating in Equinox and PDE. Space is limited so preference will be given to committers and new people looking to contribute. Writing a short positioning paper outlining your usecases, requirements and potential contributions really helps.
Minto Suite Hotel, 185 Lyon St. N, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Summit rate is $155/night for a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen – can get 1 queen bed or 2 double beds. In-suite Internet access is $9.95/day. Free internet access will be available in the conference room during the day.
- Register on-line, enter your details and put 255015 in the group ID field towards the bottom of the form.
- Or phone – Call 1-800-267-3377 or 613-232-2200 and give the group reservation number 255015.
The room block deadline is August 20. So book early. There are other hotels in this area of downtown Ottawa if space fills up here.