This page captures user scenarios in the p2 User Interface and discusses problems and issues in the workflow.
Most of the goals were derived from problems observed/reported in the previous UI (Update Manager). See Equinox p2 UM workflows for the equivalent scenarios.
- Reduce click/decision counts
- Move advanced concepts out of main workflows
- required software details (automatic resolution)
- repo management (alternate views of content)
- mirror selection (automatic)
- install locations (not supported)
- Automatic updating should not interrupt workflow
- Make it easier for users to get content they find on the web
- Integrate "what do I have" with "what can I get"
- Integrate "what do I have" with "what updates are available"
- User-oriented error messages, higher level explanations
- Code structured for multiple levels of integration (pluggable policies, different host dialogs, building blocks)
Check for updates
- Help >
- Software Updates...
- select Installed Software page
- I accept...
- 7 clicks/decisions (vs. 14 for UM)
- Can reduce to 5 once a license has been accepted/remembered (vs. 12 with UM automatic mirror selection)
What can I get?
Here's something cool on the web
What do I have?
- Implementation has same performance problems as UM did (user may have to wait a long time for content to fill in or for resolution to take place).
- Original modeless ("dashboard") design forced modal due to implementation problems with progress reporting, keyboard handling, inconsistency with rest of Eclipse
- Too much repo management forced on user
- We haven't improved error reporting (some find it worse) - need to decipher resolution errors and report in user-friendly way
- We removed detail about software requirements/underlying libraries. Some users want to know. Inconsistencies remain due to late-breaking issues (need to show licenses for all things even though user doesn't see those things anywhere else).
- tweak the problems or step back?
- unfolding of detail
UI planning information has moved to Equinox p2 UI Plan