This page captures user scenarios in the p2 User Interface and discusses problems and issues in the workflow.
Most of the goals were derived from problems observed/reported in the previous UI (Update Manager). See Equinox p2 UM workflows for the equivalent scenarios.
- Automatic updating should not interrupt workflow
- Make it easier for users to get content they find on the web
- Integrate "what do I have" with "what can I get"
- Integrate "what do I have" with "what updates are available"
- Separate repository management from browsing available content
- Remove unnecessary detail regarding required software libraries
- Automatic dependency resolution
- User-oriented error messages, higher level explanations
- Code structured for multiple levels of integration (pluggable policies, different host dialogs, building blocks)
Check for updates
- Help >
- Software Updates...
- Installed Software
- I accept
What can I get?
Here's something cool on the web
What do I have?
- Implementation has same performance problems as UM did (user may have to wait a long time for content to fill in or for resolution to take place).
- Original modeless ("dashboard") design forced modal due to implementation problems with progress reporting, keyboard handling, inconsistency with rest of Eclipse
- Too much repo management forced on user
- We haven't improved error reporting (some find it worse) - need to decipher resolution errors and report in user-friendly way
- We removed detail about software requirements/underlying libraries. Some users want to know. Inconsistencies remain due to late-breaking issues (need to show licenses for all things even though user doesn't see those things anywhere else).
- tweak the problems or step back?
- unfolding of detail
UI planning information has moved to Equinox p2 UI Plan